ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Haha, it's amazing but I was thinking the same thing just this weekend: I haven't been this excited since The Phantom Menace. I think this even surpasses it. At one point in the previous two weeks, I was so excited about going (and, admittedly dressing up as Joker), that I couldn't sleep for hours. I mean, that's just ridiculous :tup:

When it was first announced I was apprehensive, but the more I see of The Watchmen movie the happier I get. That trailer was astounding, one of the best movie trailers I think I've ever seen. It was like some really cool music video.

They released these photos of the main 'heroes' on the production blog a while back (Ozymandius has had the biggest change, but I guess his costume in the book is a bit too camp for the screen). I especially love The Comedian - spot on!

ComedianFull-thumb.jpg

Sure, the visuals are great and so is the trailer. 300 had a great trailer too, but any part of that movie where people talked sucked (people also yelled a lot, those parts were good). We'll see how this turns out, but I never felt Watchmen was about the visuals, but the drama, and the director doesn't seem to be up to par in that respect.

Yeah I was going to say that too. Whether the film lives up to the book will hinge a great deal on the dialogue and narration.

Absolutely. The director was a great match for Frank Miller material which is in itself very much about the visuals. Watchmen is different stuff. On the other hand; the trailer for V for Vendetta (different director of course, but also a text-heavy Alan Moore comic) hinged very much on special effects and atmosphere as well, and that turned out great.

So far I see no reason to be anything but pleasantly surprised and optimistic :)

Well, that can be debated. I'd describe the V movie as... clunky. But I like it. However, it's not a completely satisfying adaptation or a masterpiece of cinema.

Need to read Watchmen quick-smart, methinks. I only read V for Vendetta for the first time a couple of years ago--and I still haven't seen the film. :getmecoat

Yes you do.

One other slight worry I have about the film is the heroes look pretty badass. I hope it still gets across the sense that most of them are slightly rubbish.

Don't worry about it; a guy at work who didn't know Watchman thought the heroes looked old-fashioned and ridiculous, so it'll be alright ;) Come to think of it; he didn't get it at all. When I told him that Doc Manhattan was all-powerful he thought it was lame in a Superman kind of way; and I just couldn't make it clear to him that it was part of the glorious structure of the tale and made it that much better.

Here's a recent interview with Moore, where he's asked about Watchmen. Predictably (and unsurprisingly considering recent adaptations) he's not too keen.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20213004,00.html

Still a good read though.

"It's their film not my book... actually I disown the book now they're republishing it with mention of the film on the cover" has kind of become his schtick. Justifiably given From Hell and The LEague of Extraordinary Gentlemen, but I didn't think V for Vendetta was a bad adaptation at all.

Wonder if they will ever do a film version of Lost Girls... :P

Haha :)

In Zack Snyder's defence (director of Watchemen, 300, the Dawn of the Dead remake and countless music videos) 300's script is leaden because the source material is very much in the same vein.

I cringed all the way through Frank Miller's comic, the visuals were great but the dialogue, egads the script. Even if you ignore that, historically it is total bollocks (the Spartans were encouraged to form special relationships with all of their fellow soldiers and women were considered mainly a necessity for procreation) the whole thing comes off as a lot of chest puffing, macho crap. If anything the film faithfully recreates that in all its 'glory'.

Watchmen could be good, at least visually it will be fine. As Snyder has little control on the script it will be down to the guy in charge of that department.

Well, apparently the screenplay has been adapted by some dude whose done almost nothing and the guy who is Solid Snake's voice actor... so we'll see how that goes :(

Hayter also scripted the first two X-Men movies. I remember those very fondly for comic book adaptations. I can see him doing quite a good job.

Just booked tickets for the sunday showing of Batman: TDK at the Bradford Imax. Can't wait - and I've just been informed that they even did some of the filming with an Imax camera. Rock on!

I just went to an IMAX screening yesterday and it was indeed glorious :tup:

Superb movie anyway, but I just can't judge until I've seen it a second time!

Watchmen LOOKS amazing... but can it match it with characters and storyline? Probably not. Nite-Owl is kind of a pudgy, superhero, lacking in self-confidence and struggling with life. I don't recall him doing backflips... Hmmm.

Amazing trailer, though.

It got me pumped up, but I read the graphic novel a month or so before seeing the trailer, and when Alan Moore said it was unfilmable he definitely wasn't just being pretentious. So much of Watchmen is the many converging storylines, with multiple events being told simultaneously in a single frame, to the point where simply retelling the story is almost missing the point completely.

I heard Terry Gilliam wanted to make it, and frankly I'd trust him with it more than Snyder. Wasn't crazy about 300...

Still, I like the feel of the trailer. It has that glossy, super-slick comic-book feel.

Completely different note, I just picked up Silent Shout by the Swedish band The Knife. Really cool.

Completely different note, I just picked up Silent Shout by the Swedish band The Knife. Really cool.

Yeh baby! I heard these guys at Sonar 2006. As soon as I got back to the UK, I went and bought their shit. Top stuff.

It got me pumped up, but I read the graphic novel a month or so before seeing the trailer, and when Alan Moore said it was unfilmable he definitely wasn't just being pretentious. So much of Watchmen is the many converging storylines, with multiple events being told simultaneously in a single frame, to the point where simply retelling the story is almost missing the point completely.

I heard Terry Gilliam wanted to make it, and frankly I'd trust him with it more than Snyder. Wasn't crazy about 300...

Still, I like the feel of the trailer. It has that glossy, super-slick comic-book feel.

I just finished the reading graphic novel and completely share your sentiments, the thing that impressed me the most was how well the medium was used to convey the story, as far as I can see u'd need a tapestry of main and sub stories to achieve similar effects on film (but then I'm not an uber director).

Also agree on your thoughts about the knife.

In conclusion; AGREE!

Yep, Moore has always said that it was written in a way to incorporate the strengths of the medium, and it definitely is. In fact, the actual PLOT is pretty lame...

Billionaire hires/kidnaps a bunch of artists and scientists in order to teleport a fake alien into the middle of NYC, killing tons of people, in the hope it will bring the planet together. Calling Ed Wood...?

After hearing people rave about In Bruges I saw it yesterday and I'm sorry to say I thought it was a piece of shit.

There's a few good ideas in it (I really like the premise), but the script seems like it was written by a screenwriting student, the dramatic elements are far too obvious, the jokes are bad, the dialog extremely on the nose, the metaphors/symbolism hamfisted, etc. etc. Apparently I'm the only person on the planet who thinks this but, really, the movie nothing to write home about. :(

I saw Kenny the other day - bloody funny.

Some choice quotes:

On marriage...

"Why don't you cut out the middleman? Find someone you hate and give 'em a house."

On fortune telling...

"You know, 2000 years ago, the greeks used to claim that they could tell the future from looking at your poo. Judging by some of the things I've seen from festivals, the future looks pretty bleak, I can tell you."

On cleaning out a sewer tank...

"There is a smell in here that will out last religion."

Marriage being my fave.