ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Alan Moore said it was unfilmable he definitely wasn't just being pretentious. So much of Watchmen is the many converging storylines, with multiple events being told simultaneously in a single frame, to the point where simply retelling the story is almost missing the point completely.

Don't forget sections such as: MINOR SPOILERS!

The chapter about Dr Manhatten, where he experiences his whole life in a single moment. How is cinema going to show us that he is outside time?

Rorschache's chapter Fearful Symmetry, where the panel layout and composition is symetrical from the middle of the chapter, running to the beginning and end. Even if you did something similar with camera shots no-one would notice (although I'd love them if they did it).

Not to mention the various essays at the end of chapters that fill out the Watchmen universe.

----

In other news, I decided with the advent of the new X-Files movie that I should get around to finally watching the last TV season.

At 4 episodes in I'm really dissapointed to be honest. All the plots are circular, putting us back to where we started. The overall "mythology" episodes are absolouttely glacial. Over 9 seasons what have we learned for certain? There are aliens and the government are working with them.

It's worse than Lost. You get the feeling that it's going no-where because there is no-where to go. The writers have no idea. Nothing will ever progress. Maybe I've been spoiled by recent series such as BSG, where, you know, stuff happens, and stays happened.

Childhood memories shattered, +! :tdown:

Yeah TV shows have gotten so much better in the past years, probably due to DVD and online sales, and people getting generally better at following highly serialized shows or nonlinear plots (due to internet etc.).

Even a pulp show like, say, Burn Notice, which kinda harkens back to mindless shows like Nightrider, Miami Vice or The A-Team, is actually kind of good really.

On In Bruges, I just saw it this past week as well, and also had mixed feelings. I actually liked the way it was written, shot, acted, I just grew sick of the midget jokes, to the point where it actually took away from my enjoyment of the movie. And somehow the last scene with Ralph Fiennes didn't seem satisfying enough to me. It wasn't enough of an ending...?

I saw Kenny the other day - bloody funny.

Just saw Kenny and was about to post about it when I saw yours. Keeping up with my current trend AGREED.

Kenny is one of the most likeable characters I've ever seen on film.

I just came back from Hellboy 2: The Golden Army, and I was pretty impressed. It feels a lot more like a true Hellboy flick than the first one (which was great too, but felt a bit subdued, a bit too pensive and brooding), though it's become quite a weird beast.

First off, this is as Guillermo DelToro as it comes. Wonderful creatures, dazzling colours and sets, fantastic fairytale atmosphere... Superb. The most surprising thing is how much of a cheeseball comedy it is. There are really some amazingly ballsy, cheesy moments in the movie, which teeter on the brink of disbelief, and sometimes fall straight over the edge. Coupled with a rather abrupt, weird ending that didn't completely satisfy... it's a weird movie! But delicious to watch, eyecandy all over and an updated role for Jeffrey Tambor that seems lifted straight from Arrested Development.

Weird. But awesome.

Yeah I enjoyed it too. I also prefer the folklore stuff to the demon stuff from the first film. The end did feel a bit... lost maybe. It was fun to see an elf kicking ass (that wasn't Orlando Bloom).

Also why didn't the Elf King just melt the crown before?

Best line about a sixpack of beer:

"It's the last one!"

WTF?! Why didn't anyone here tell me about the amazingly awesome movie the fall when it came out in 2006(!!).

I'm saddened Idle Thumbs! Usually you guys manage to pick up awesome movies like this.

Anyway. This does give me the opportunity to show you how great this movie is:

It's a story about a 5 year old girl that is hospitalized in a 1920's L.A. See meets a stuntman who got seriously injured during the filming of a stunt. He starts telling her a story about five warriors. As reality and story blen you're taking on a superb visual tour all across the world.

the_fall_03.jpg

fall.jpg

tarsem-the-fall-stills-07.jpg

Edited by ysbreker

"The director claims that there are no special effects in the film despite its surreal looks. Everything was shot on real locations."

Wow. Might just have to check this one out...

EDIT: This film has yet to be released... that's probably why no-one's heard of it.

Oddly enough, it's apparent released to cinemas here in the UK in... two days!

Yeah I think the studio's are being an ass again. IT was shown at the Toronto film festival in 2006 and is only now getting a theatrical release. Sorry about being disappointed earlier Idle thumbs. It's the studio's fault!

Movie website: http://www.thefallthemovie.com/

I had heard about it, but forgot about it. I don't know if it's been released here. I remember following it a bit online, but alas. Probably a DVD or download for me.

Hee, that's pretty cool considering I'll be in the UK in 2 days and I love movies like that. I'll go see it!

I was just about ready to go and see Guy Ritchie's (pathetically titled) RocknRolla in the next week or so. Then, luckily, I was directed to Mark Kermode's short video review:

Guy Richie has decided to remake The Long Good Friday... in the style of

Ahem...

Think I'll be saving my money then.

NB: Apologies for not posting my thoughts after finally seeing The Dark Knight last month. I got so wrapped up in getting ready to go away on holiday that I didn't really get the chance. I'll write something up shortly if people are still interested in seeing me take up more space here... :shifty:

I was astounded to learn last week that Chas and Dave split up. Except, Chas found a new Dave and Dave found a new Chas, and both pairs now perform under the name Chas and Dave*. Clearly, they are replicating like a virus and will soon proliferate to overtake Elvis impersonators. :fart:

This, er, might just be a distortion of a rumour started by Bill Bailey on UK music quiz show Never Mind The Buzzcocks.

Edited by Nachimir

Went to see Hellboy II: The Golden Army last night and I heartily approve. An excellent comic book romp, very well realised - and played - by all concerned.

Definitely see this over anything else at the moment (except for Wall-E if you've still not seen that).

Really? We thought it was total bobbins, quite boring, bad, cheesy one-liners - the only good bits were when Del Toro was allowed free reign - the troll market for one.

I found it really unsatisfying, with the promise of so much more.

Indeed, Hell Boy II was a goodun'. I also have to say that Get Smart was a pleasant way to spend the evening. Sure it wasn't brilliant, but there's some great moments (non of which came from Terrence Stamp, surprisingly, who is amazingly pants in the movie).

Yeah I think the studio's are being an ass again. IT was shown at the Toronto film festival in 2006 and is only now getting a theatrical release. Sorry about being disappointed earlier Idle thumbs. It's the studio's fault!

I tried to get a ticket at the film festival but never did. The reaction then was kind of muted. Forgot about it until recently when I saw it was getting some repertory releases.

BTW, for London people: a new print/version of Eraserhead is screening this week at the ICA.

I believe I posted earlier in this thread my appreciation of Hellboy 2 (or Garçon D'Enfer Deux, as I like to call it), so I won't repeat myself.

This weekend I went to see Mummy 3, and Brendan Fraser is as always deeply charismatic and funny. Nothing spectacular, but a pleasant adventure romp. Nothing wrong with that!

Hellboy was indeed incredible, I thought in some ways better than the first.

I loved the first 2 Mummy's, but I have a big issue with an over reliance on CGI, and I was turned off by the badly-animated dragon thing.

It seems I'm in a minority. I would have been right pissed off if I'd paid full price kino tickets for that.

To be fair, Johan stole the show, but otherwise (apart from aforementioned) it was pap.

Honestly, if it weren't for Jeff Bridges and the trails of light coming out the back of the motorcycles, that could've been any stylized B&W action movie. Still, I will be going to see it...

As beautiful as it is, I need someone to explain to me where the logic is in giving light-cycles the power to move in 3 dimensions.

The limitations of the original TRON reflected the limitations of technology at that time. And look at how far tech has advanced since 1982.

At least they weren't flying around--it was still unmistakably the TRON setting as well. Quite excited by the rumour that Pixar might be heavily involved, too.