ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Not sure if this is a recommendation so much as a comment, but I just say Purple Rain today for the first time, and it was pretty much exactly what I expected: a shallow, B movie with some incredible performances by Prince.

I guess that's a music recommendation there. After seeing Prince play some guitar live recently, I've come to appreciate him a lot more, and some of his stuff is actually pretty good.

Anyway, 80's fun.

First stills from The Road are here and they look almost fucking perfect--can't believe it!

The only crticism I have is that it looks much too light compared to the murky-twilight-at-best conditions described in the book. Still, I'm really, really excited now.

Ecstatic to see The Wire's Michael K. Williams breaking into Hollywood via something so prestigeous too; that guy's fucking amazing.

:clap::woohoo::clap::woohoo::clap::woohoo:

I saw the trailer for a new ITV2 series,

, which looks like it might turn out pretty good. I think that's some of the Nathan Barley gang in there. Will have to wait and see.

Recently watched Iron Man in HD and was blown away by the special effects. They were so utterly convincing - right up to the predictably lame ending action sequence. At no point did I find myself questioning the CGI, I just sat back and enjoyed the film which in retrospect is very rare for something that employs it so heavily.

There are films with brilliant special effects like the Lord of the Rings which have all too evident jarring flaws to break the suspension of belief, but I don't recall anything like that in the Iron Man, or maybe I'm just laying on the praise a bit thick :erm:

Yes I was watching the Lord of the Rings films the other night, and in HD the compositing really stands out, mainly in the Two Towers. I had to turn the TV settings since down it was putting me off.

It's long been a pet hate of mine. You can have the most amazing lifelike 3D animated model, but if it is composited badly it still looks shite. Most films do. I agree that Iron Man had excellent integration.

Things to remember when compositing: Ambient colour. Lighting direction, intensity, focus and colour. Camera lens distortion. Blurred eges not sharp edges. Wind and rain. Parrallaxing. Atmospheric haze.

And many others. But I think the main offenders in films are that the lighting on the CGI doesn't match the live action.

To me, The Fellowship always seemed a big perpetrayor, with the cave troll which just didn't have the same three-dimensional depth and depth of shadows as the rest of the scene. Creatures like the tentacle-monster at the beginning of the mines of Moria were a lot more convincing.

But it's all still infinitely better than the new Star Wars films. Especially part one and two have aged dramatically. I remember being completely sold on the special effects the first times I saw them, but upon rewatching it was more like I was looking at some bad FMV adventure, with blue screen edges and unrealistic scenes. Wow.

Hah, yes the Star Wars prequals are awful, thanks to Lucas' fangasm over greenscreen. With the pixel-wide rim lighting to pick out the edges, Christensen looks like a 2D cut-out as well as acts like one.

I wonder if Peter Jackson will redo the special effects for some special edition in the future? Unlike Lucas, I trust Jackson to just go back and tighten everything up.

Woo Hoo new fall season,

I've started watching "Sons of Anarchy", it could be a successor to the Sopranos, as it is exactly the same except it focuses on the organised crime of a biker gang in LA instead of the mob in NJ. Don't think it will set the world on fire but it's good. The Mentalist felt like it was trying to be the love child of CSI and House, not great but watchable as time killer. "Raising the Bar" is court room drama about public defenders and prosecutors, it's not very good but I like it, it does a good job of pointing out a lot of the woe of the American judicial system, but the characters are very one dimensional and the story predictable.

Been meaning to post that I watched Batman: Gotham Knight a couple of weeks ago. For those who've not heard of it, it's a six-part collaboration between six renowned Japanese anime directors.

It's an interesting, hugely varied and engaging look at the myth of Batman, from the perspectives of Gotham's citizens and Bruce Wayne himself. It's dark, gritty and very enjoyable.

Worth a punt on DVD if you're looking for a collector's piece.

Yes, watched that in HD a few weeks ago too and was pretty impressed. I loved the first one's take on the visuals, with fat bodies and spindly legs for everyone :tup:

I've also been watching Heroes Season 3 so far. It's still very cheesy, but they've actually started making Sylar into a more interesting and likeable character. Episode 2 has an excellent scene near the beginning with Sylar, blue sky, happy pop music, and two FBI agents :)

I've started watching "Sons of Anarchy", it could be a successor to the Sopranos, as it is exactly the same except it focuses on the organised crime of a biker gang in LA instead of the mob in NJ.

Thanks, hadn't heard of this but will look out for it.

Yes, I'm enjoying Heroes Season 3 immensely. I was one of the few people that liked season 2, but even so. The head writer (Kring?) spoke towards the end of season 2 that they had made a mistake in repeating the pattern of mystery and suspense from s1, when what people actually wanted at this stage was action and drama. S3 delivers on those two things wonderfully.

Some really nice little triumphant moments too. I actually cheered out loud when Noah twirled Desert Eagle.

Have you seen episode 3 yet? Noah's new partner is great...

Agent Sylar FTW!!

Charlie Brooker has this to say about 'The Happening':

"This week Charlie watched The Happening on a plane: "Mark Wahlberg gives by far the most appalling performance I've ever seen from a major actor in a mainstream movie. Really. Seek it out, it's a thing to behold.""

:tup:

Have you seen episode 3 yet? Noah's new partner is great...

Yes, really cheesy, but great :)

I liked S2 as well. S1 got on my tits with the constant suspense, it just seemed like a meandering mess by the end with a few episodes that could just as well have not been in there.

I also hated Sylar and wanted him dead for S1 and S2, because he was purely a psychopathic antagonist (hammy melodrama++). Now they're actually humanising him a bit; while he's still a psychopath, we're getting to see things from his point of view a bit more. Great stuff :tup:

Just watched [REC] no idea what the American remake will be like but if it is half as good as the original then it will be fucking awesome.