ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Boogie Nights was amazing -- just pitch perfect. I found Magnolia to be a beautiful mess. Never really got onboard with Punch-Drunk Love. There Will Be Blood was astounding. I haven't seen Hard Eight.

Speaking of which. If you liked There Will Be Blood, I'd highly recommend The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. Another outrageously fantastic film from the same year.

:fistbump: I adore TAOJJBTCRF (I love having an excuse to type that).

Describing Magnolia as a "beautiful mess" is pretty fitting. It walks the line between that and a total mess and never crosses it.

A movie that does try to be ambotious and ends up being an absolute trainwreck would be something like Southland Tales. I hate that movie with a deep passion.

I have seen TAOJJBTCRF, but not since it was on at the cinema. I did enjoy it very much, though, so I ought to rectify that.

2007 was such a crackerjack year for films. There WIll Be Blood, No Country for Old Men, Assassination of Jesse James, Michael Clayton, Zodiac, Hot Fuzz—all amazing.

And in 3D? Why god, why?

I wonder that myself about almost every film. I can count on one hand those films that have had 3D that didn't make the experience worse, and even among those I'd have to think really hard about whether they made it any better. For something like this that is about drama rather than action (and more specifically special effects), I don't see the point at all.

Baz Luhrmann is a director I'm looking forward to seeing play with 3D. He's no stranger to using extreme styles and modes to enhance drama, and his films always look fantastic. The Great Gatsby doesn't seem to be the perfect fit for him doing all this, but I find that rather intriguing.

My first thought when the trailer started was Oh god, who is that horrible narrator? He sounds so awkward!

Then I realized it was Toby Maguire playing Nick Carraway, and that it's perfect, because Nick is supposed to be the 20s version of the awkward oblivious nerd that makes you cringe.

It is wonderfully colorful, and Carey Mulligan is one of my favorite rising actresses. It remains hard to believe she was playing Sally Sparrow just a few years ago. Not sure about Leo as Gatsby.

Haha what the fuck is this shit

Remember the masterstroke/travesty that was Romeo + Juliet? Yeah. Except where that worked despite being a terrible fucking idea, this won't. Though to be fair, Gatsby is terrible in the first place.

E: It's a shame too. I was starting to like DeCaprio as an actor.

E2: I can also just hope that it's a case of trailer != movie, but that's unlikely.

E: Can't delete your posts forums.

You should be able to "hide" your posts, though!

Boooo

Sorry Chris, my classic literature taste is all over the place. I like Orwell but I don't like Steinbeck. I can stomach Dickens but I much prefer London. I'll read Plato as close to the original as you can get, but you won't find a single Homeric epic in my library. Gatsby just never clicked for me like say, Dumas did. Yes, Gatsby is a single title where-as Dumas is an author, I know one of you will call me on this, the problem is I enjoyed what I read of Tender Is The Night.

A friend who is trying to become a literary critic once described me as "A bundle of opinions that serve only to prove how pointless my (his) job is."

E: I guess the bright side to that... thing, is that I'm listening to stuff by Jack White again, so hooray.

House season finale was just crap. That show has been crap since the beginning of Season 7. Some of the early episodes of this season kind of went back to the old House style with humor and patients with less animosity, which I enjoyed, but the rest was useless and rushed.

I really just wish the show had taken the turn from Season 6 where House was trying to change himself to be a better person. Instead it all turned into an idiotic downward spiral after that where everything was impossible to keep up my suspension of disbelief.

Also the show seems to have had dimmer and dimmer lighting since Season 5 to the point where everything just looked washed out, hard to see, and nasty the last 6 episodes. Yuck.

That trailer is pretty much exactly what a film version of Gatsby should be. Whoever gave it to Baz Luhrmann needs to be in charge of more things.

Romeo + Juliet is a masterpiece that reduces me to an emotional wreck every single time. For that alone, I'll give The Great Gattling Gunsby a shot.

For that alone, I'll give The Great Gattling Gunsby a shot.

I see what you did there.