ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

I got everything you guys recommended. Thanks for all the suggestions; I'm sure I'll enjoy it all.

I also got Airplane!, Office Space, Henry V (not funny, I know), The Social Network, Control and season one of Curb Your Enthusiasm, which I've seen bits of before and am currently half-watching as season eight airs on Arabic TV (two weeks behind the States, too!).

I would cautiously like to recommend another comedy film that is woefully underlooked a lot of the time: Asterix & Obelix: Mission Cleopatra. Do NOT be deceived by the tone of the first and third movies, which were rather saccharine. This one is done by a different director and in my opinion it's a comedic masterpiece. It should say enough that the owners of the A&O franchise hated this movie: that alone tells you how good it is.

It manages to juggle well-crafted physical comedy with hilariously cheesy gags and bouts of extreme absurdity, including an interlude about lobsters when the movie would otherwise get too violent to show. Besides French greats like Gerard Depardieu and Christian Clavier (who also performed as Napoléon in the excellent miniseries), it features one-armed French comedian Jamel at his best.

Don't miss out on this movie --that goes for everyone here. It's very sincere, very lighthearted, and extremely funny.

Can anyone recommend a really funny movie? I could use it.

If it helps with the recommendations, some favourites of mine include This Is Spın̈al Tap, Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, anything by the Coens and Withnail & I. I also love the UK version of The Office, Extras and all the classic stuff, like Fawlty Towers.

Not a movie, but if you haven't seen The Thick of It, check it out, it's sort of the tone of the original Office.

I would cautiously like to recommend another comedy film that is woefully underlooked a lot of the time: Asterix & Obelix: Mission Cleopatra. Do NOT be deceived by the tone of the first and third movies, which were rather saccharine. This one is done by a different director and in my opinion it's a comedic masterpiece. It should say enough that the owners of the A&O franchise hated this movie: that alone tells you how good it is.

It manages to juggle well-crafted physical comedy with hilariously cheesy gags and bouts of extreme absurdity, including an interlude about lobsters when the movie would otherwise get too violent to show. Besides French greats like Gerard Depardieu and Christian Clavier (who also performed as Napoléon in the excellent miniseries), it features one-armed French comedian Jamel at his best.

Don't miss out on this movie --that goes for everyone here. It's very sincere, very lighthearted, and extremely funny.

Hmm. Which version, though? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asterix_%26_Obelix:_Mission_Cleopatra#Translations

I didn't even know there was an American dub/tweak. I know only the original French version and can assure its brilliance alone.

I got everything you guys recommended. Thanks for all the suggestions; I'm sure I'll enjoy it all.

I also got Airplane!, Office Space, Henry V (not funny, I know), The Social Network, Control and season one of Curb Your Enthusiasm, which I've seen bits of before and am currently half-watching as season eight airs on Arabic TV (two weeks behind the States, too!).

Oooh! As not funny as Control is, that's an awesome movie you grabbed.

Oh yeah. I mostly went for comedy, but put in some other things too. And hell, I might manage to catch season two of the always-on-my-mind masterpiece The Wire, so this weekend is going to be pretty:

1. lazy

2. exhausting for my TV! :D

So far, seen a bit of Curb (starting early). Like it, even if it's pretty far-fetched. Still...it's funny.

Oh yeah. I mostly went for comedy, but put in some other things too. And hell, I might manage to catch season two of the always-on-my-mind masterpiece The Wire, so this weekend is going to be pretty:

1. lazy

2. exhausting for my TV! :D

So far, seen a bit of Curb (starting early). Like it, even if it's pretty far-fetched. Still...it's funny.

I was going to recommend Curb, too. For some reason I assumed you'd already seen it. Doh!

Control

Damn. I forgot to suggest 24 Hour Party People.

Nappi - I'll pick that up on my next visit to the shop. Thanks!

I was going to recommend Curb, too. For some reason I assumed you'd already seen it. Doh!

Might be because I said I've seen parts of it, and I have. They aired the season where

Richard Lewis needs a kidney

back in 2006 and I used to love the show. Everyone seemed to hate it, though, and - because I was an idiotic eleventh grader - I stopped watching it out of a misplaced desire to fit-in. ::partyhat:

I just want to gloat for a second here.

I've seen up to season two, episode eight of The Wire.

After seeing the first episode of season one, I picked up on David Simon's writing "beat" and boasted I could tell whether or not he'd written an episode from the very first scene.

Now, I'm proud to announce that I've gotten 20/20 right - no mistakes. Twenty episodes seen after the first, twenty absolutely correct answers. What's more, I can tell whether Ed Burns or George Pelecanos peneed an episode from the pre-credits scene also. Got that right too.

Not one mistake, gentlemen. I just thought I'd announce that.

Ed Burns has greatly improved as a writer from his first season outing, by the way. George is as good as he ever was. Season two is just as excellent as the first.

David Simon's first two episode for season two had elements I disliked, but his later ones - especially episode six, "All Prologue" - have been perfect.

Two things that immediately stuck out about season two were:

1. The season is much funnier than the already-pretty-funny first (putting Omar on the stand to testify against Bird was a highlight);

2. The season isn't as immediately involving, and takes its time to set-up the plot. I'm not sure how the Barksdale people plot will converge with the Greeks by the docks, though.

Every single new character they introduced is real, human, conflicted and interesting - especially Frank Sobotka, or he just seems more interesting to me. Old characters are given even *more* depth and made more real, almost like people you know. Maybe exactly like people you know. Stringer killing D'Angelo - and that completely broke my heart - was a moment they earned, both in terms of character development and point-by-point plot.

I love all the teasing they're engaging in. I thought Omar was in the first episode - you clearly see someone wearing clothes similar to his passing by a shop window and then in front of a camera, as another man watches Brodie and his friend do a drug run - but it's just a dude walking by the window.

Man, there's a million things I could be saying about the show right now but that I'll refrain from. Either way, it's an A+ masterpiece so far, as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Kroms

I had a similar talent for spotting JM Straczynski scripted episodes of Babylon 5. I think my final score was 92/110.

Haha, I know that came off as really douchey and full of itself, but I'm still really proud of that accomplishment. I pay a lot of attention to writing outside of my own forum posts, and it's nice to know it's paid off somehow.

</douche mode>

I just want to gloat for a second here.

I've seen up to season two, episode eight of The Wire.

Season 2 still stands out from the rest, not because it was particularly better then the rest, but for other reasons I'm sure you'll find out, but I really enjoyed the character arcs the most from it.

I think after that the show becomes more allegorical and just reaches some really amazing heights.

I think I've watched the series at least 3 times now and its something I'm always itching to watch again.

In sort of the same vein, I always try to miss the title sequence of Doctor Who, and see how long it takes me to know if Stephen Moffat wrote the episode.

(Hint: Not long.)

I had a similar talent for spotting JM Straczynski scripted episodes of Babylon 5. I think my final score was 92/110.

Ha ha. Genius!

Kroms, I do believe you're the second Thumbs to make such a claim. I'm usually pretty good at hearing someone's "voice" in their writing, but I must admit that The Wire totally eluded me. Not that I mind... it's so damn good.

Personally I found season two difficult to get into. It felt less realistic and more like a standard police procedural to me. It got better, though.

Season 2 was very good but I was disappointed it never quite pulled me in as much as season 1 did.

Season 3 is the absoulte high point though. I'm actually jealous of people who haven't seen it because I'll never be able to experience watching it for the first time again.

Ha ha. Genius!

Kroms, I do believe you're the second Thumbs to make such a claim. I'm usually pretty good at hearing someone's "voice" in their writing, but I must admit that The Wire totally eluded me.

It's easy - you just have to pick up on a writer's "beat". David Simon's usual telling mark is how he makes little statements - so, from season one, episode one, he goes:

McNulty:

If Snot always stole the money, why'd you let him pay?

Interviewee:

Got to. This America, man.

CUT TO dead body, finally revealing the face.

Which gives "This America" another meaning.

He uses that a lot. There are other little telling marks, but I only know them because I admire his work so much.

Also, I wonder who the other Thumbite is? Could be me. I made that claim before (and have yet to fail, having just seen episode nine).

Also, I wonder who the other Thumbite is? Could be me. I made that claim before (and have yet to fail, having just seen episode nine).

I think it was probably you. I have a similar talent of spotting which CSI episodes are directed by Quentin Tarantino, though.

I have gone through most of Futurama in the past three weeks or so. Great series and I feel a bit dumb for not checking it out sooner. I guess my bad experiences with the Simpsons had kept me from approaching this before.

Futurama has stayed consistently good throughout. I've never once seen them repeat something needlessly. Hell even "Good news everyone!" still makes me grin. Great show.

This has reminded me that the most recent season of Futurama restarted a couple months ago, so I now have lots of new episodes to watch. Woo!

Watched 2 films recently:

Cowboys & Aliens: :tup: - Brilliant opening but the second half dragged a bit. What I initially thought was a bold move for the film

Killing the girl 2/3 of the way through

turned out to be composed entirely of naff

Surprise! Actually she's an alien and isn't dead

. There were plenty of other :tmeh: to :tdown: moments but overall I enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to watching it again when it comes out on DVD.

Submarine: :tup::tup: It's a beautiful film. I haven't got anything else to add to that statement

Also, the latest Dr Who was fucking abysmal.

Futurama has stayed consistently good throughout. I've never once seen them repeat something needlessly. Hell even "Good news everyone!" still makes me grin. Great show.

I agree with the consistency. I wasn't too keen on the extensive present day references - such as the entire episode dedicated to Apple - on some of episodes on the newest season, but it's still quality stuff.