ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

I agree with the consistency. I wasn't too keen on the extensive present day references - such as the entire episode dedicated to Apple - on some of episodes on the newest season, but it's still quality stuff.

Yeah, there are a few things like that, but even those are still pretty chuckle-worthy.

When I talk about Futurama "not over-using" things, I'm thinking about things like the Harlem Globetrotters/time dialation episode. They get all the obvious (but because it's Futurama, still well done) jokes out of the way and get on with their damn show. Instead of Family Guy or South Park where they repeat the joke twenty times, and then explain it to you.

Also, the latest Dr Who was fucking abysmal.

Like a multifarious politician, I've heard plenty of dissenting opinions on this. I'm going to settle down and watch it now, will be back with some thoughts.

Uh. . .hmm. That was certainly a thing. Not terrible you know, I mean, it's not "Sontaran Stratagem-Poison Sky" bad, but. . .we'll see.

Edited by Orvidos

I just finished watching volume 5 of Futurama (the first 13 episodes after it was revived) and have to say how impressed I am that they re-found their groove so quickly. With Family Guy, I still find the first three (pre-cancellation) seasons funny, but everything since has been terrible. I was worried that Futurama would also become a "once was good, now is a shambling corpse" show and had put off watching the latest stuff for that reason. Happy to be proven wrong.

Huh? Did everyone skip those mini-movies? I thought they were dreadful. If season 5 is better than them, and really a return to form, I may check it out.

Plus I always thought there was one awful episode in the original run: The anti-piracy one.

Season 5.

I reiterate: What Season 5. :shifty:

(I just sort of ignore their existence, much like Star Wars prequels, or Deus Ex 2. Or the fact that Ed McMahon is dead.)

I reiterate: What Season 5. :shifty:
I reiterate: What Season 5.

The season right after 4 but just before 6. Here's a Wikipedia hyperlink: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Futurama_(season_5)

I think it's really weird that you don't understand what I mean by season 5 of Futurama. Also, I don't understand why you used the shifty smily. Also I don't read text that is hidden in parantheses. In my opinion, if you're going to say something, just go ahead and say it.

edit: I'm not real happy about this post.

HEY GUYS WHAT'S GOING ON IN THIS THREAD I HOPE NOBODY IS TRYING TO USE ANY SUBTLETY MAN I CAN'T STAND THAT SHIT

Tired of your shit, 'blix! Lets go, mano-a-mano! Because you know, cartoons are worth fighting over.

I, like many, don't find Season 5 (IE. The mini-movie season) to be edifying or good, so when I talk about how "Futuruma has never really missed a beat for me" I just sort of beat the part of my mind that's going "But what about Bender's Game?!" into submission and put it in the closet.

Which, coincidentally, is the best place to keep your Hitler.

I never even made it past the first 15 minutes of the first episode. I just couldn't watch it, it was THAT bad.

So, to re-iterate, Season 6 (aka the real Season 5) is actually a return to form, then?

I would say so, yes. It takes a little while (maybe 2 episodes, maybe 3, depending on preferences) for them to get back into 'the groove' but they have achieved it.

I was bewildered by it on first viewing, and only made it to five minutes. Thought it was awful.

Sat down again, watched it - ended-up liking it. I think this past two-parter was Steven Moffat's weakest outing, some very good moments aside, even if it's still enjoyable.

I think this past two-parter was Steven Moffat's weakest outing, some very good moments aside, even if it's still enjoyable.

Which past two-parter?

I generally enjoyed Let's Kill Hitler, though it was one of those that threatens to buckle under the weight of the season arc and doesn't really stand alone (would have been nice to explore

the time-judge people and the setting as well as spend more time with evil Melody

- this could have comfortably been a two-parter, I reckon).

I also really enjoyed Cowboys And Aliens. Believable characters and story (in that it realised the high-concept in an unfussy, earthy way, at least until the bit ssd didn't like, which is a bit Chronicles Of Riddick), some ace action and effects, well directed and awesome aliens. The only niggle is that

the climactic action sequence doesn't quite build up as much as I would have liked - it pretty much plateaus at ground-level hand to hand combat, I would have liked to see the aliens bring out some scarier weapons tech. Maybe the sequel...

Which past two-parter?

"A Good Man Goes to War". I know they weren't one big story, but for the Doctor and his companions, it felt like they had a bit of an arc going - hence, my calling "Goes to War" and "Hitler"* a two-parter.

*(Almost wrote "Good Man" and "Hitler" there, but it felt wrong.)

I never even made it past the first 15 minutes of the first episode. I just couldn't watch it, it was THAT bad.

So, to re-iterate, Season 6 (aka the real Season 5) is actually a return to form, then?

I have watched all the episodes of this season 6 which has been running now for two seasons time in real time. I never really got why the show stopped around Christmas last year in the US and then suddenly started again this summer. Why did they want to split the season?

In my opinion the first 13 episodes last year were continuing the trend of the quite bad dvd movies, there were many not that good episodes and I felt like they were just trying out new things because of the move from Fox to Comedy Central gave them more freedom I guess. However the run that started this summer has been very good. Especially the past few episodes were awesome.

I should watch the whole season again after all have aired. I checked now the Wikipedia is god page of Futurama and it says that these last 13 episodes are aired in a messed up order instead of showing everything in production order? Just four out of the five last episodes will air in order.

"A Good Man Goes to War". I know they weren't one big story, but for the Doctor and his companions, it felt like they had a bit of an arc going - hence, my calling "Goes to War" and "Hitler"* a two-parter.

*(Almost wrote "Good Man" and "Hitler" there, but it felt wrong.)

Ahhh, confusing.

I thought "Good Man Go War" was terrible.

Y'know what? I liked the DVD movies of Futurama. There, I said it. They weren't the best things they've ever done and buckled a bit under trying to be an hour and a half long, but they were still fun and kept me going while I waited for the latest stuff. This may be because I didn't watch them until after it had been announced that the series was back in production, thus allowing me to not think "THIS IS GOING TO BE THE LEGACY OF FUTURAMA IT HAD BETTER BE GODDAMNED PERFECT" but I stand by that statement. I am proud to have all four of those movies sitting with the rest of the series on my DVD shelf.

I also think that Monkey Island 4 is a pretty good adventure game and sorely underrated, but that's an argument for a different thread

Submarine: :tup::tup: It's a beautiful film. I haven't got anything else to add to that statement

A lovely film :tup:

Glad I'm not the only person who thought this. It was utter, utter shit, wasn't it? It came over like the writer was infatuated with all of the characters, had a big wank over them and assumed everyone else would join in.

Yeah, these past two episodes have been pretty bad. "Good Man" suffered from all the red shirts that sprung up from nowhere (and other stuff) and they both suffered from having River Song in them, "Hitler" obviously a lot more.

Watching "Hitler" made me realize how little I care for the character, but usually her influence isn't strong enough to offset how awesome the past two Doctors have been. Also, the mystery of their relationship was somewhat intriguing, but the mystery is gone and it's just shit.

IMO everything about "Hitler" that wasn't River Song was pretty great, especially the future people and how they put Hitler in the name, brought him in and then did almost nothing with him.

I watched the latest Torchwood... and was oddly touched. It was a gay love story, and it was very slow, but it really got under my skin and kind of broke my heart. Jane Espenson rocks.

Anyways, The Guard is excellent. It's sort of what Hot Fuzz should have been. Highly recommend you see it before it's gone.

Also, Kevin Smith's Red State totally rocked. A very unusual film for him, almost a horror movie. Loved it.