ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Just got back from watching Rare Exports at my local World of Cine. What a hugely enjoyable and well made movie! It was really nicely paced, had great atmosphere, and look beautiful. It may have been low budget, but you certainly never felt it. Plus, it's obviously quirky and brilliant as fuck :tup:

Shame it's a 15 over here, too, because I think a lot of those younger teens would get a kick from it as well.

Totally agreed. I'm sure a younger audience would love this (as long as they don't slow movies). A bit of a shame it didn't get a 12.

Also saw Monsters. Another fantastic low budget movie. I would highly recommend it... just go expecting a love story (which is what it is) and you'll be fine :tup:

So! I'm going to do a Kromsy Movie Year, where I see at least (and probably at most) one movie every week for all year.

So, this didn't turn out so well.

Anyways, I saw The Birds yesterday. Decent thriller, mediocre script.

Lack of ending may be a bummer

. I suppose you could make a case for it being metaphorical (and the dots do add-up, sort of, if you ignore a crucial fact or two), but as a straight-up plot it results in annoyance. Hitchcock is a capable director, as always.

Anyone here see Blade Runner? I don't know which cut I should see. It's kind of annoying how many versions there are.

Edited by Kroms

Anyone here see Blade Runner? I don't know which cut I should see. It's kind of annoying how many versions there are.

Pretty much any one except the original theatrical. The Director's Cut is a good choice and easy to get hold of.

Each cut does change subplots in subtle ways. It's worth watching each one; not in a row, but when you decide to come back to it.

Pretty much any one except the original theatrical. The Director's Cut is a good choice and easy to get hold of.

Each cut does change subplots in subtle ways. It's worth watching each one; not in a row, but when you decide to come back to it.

Thanks. Went ahead with the Director's Cut, though I also found a copy of a "Final's Cut" I'd like to see later. I shall watch the film when I can. It looks neato-mosquito.

I'd just go with the Final Cut. The Director's Cut (not actually by Ridley Scott) is pretty rough, though that's the version people loved for almost 20 years. There are no substantial differences, but the Final Cut fixes a ton of small faults and makes the film better viewing.

They both include the unicorn, which annoys me. Would be a better film without allusions to Deckard being a replicant, IMO.

They both include the unicorn, which annoys me. Would be a better film without allusions to Deckard being a replicant, IMO.

Which is the cut that

has the blatant shot of him with replicant eyes?

Which is the cut that

has the blatant shot of him with replicant eyes?

I think that's in all the cuts, isn't it? It's just that it was most likely an accident...

a result of trying to get Sean Young's eyes to go replicanty. Also, can't agree more with Harrison Ford that Deckard as a Replicant makes no sense... Still a great movie, though.

Also, I agree: The Final Cut is the way to go. Definitely the most fully-rounded experience (and only Ridley Scott approved version out there). There's almost nothing but curiosity to recommend watching the other cuts... and if you're curious, then watch the Work Print Cut next. Then the original. Then the "Director's Cut" (which wasn't really a directors cut).

I think that's in all the cuts, isn't it? It's just that it was most likely an accident...

a result of trying to get Sean Young's eyes to go replicanty. Also, can't agree more with Harrison Ford that Deckard as a Replicant makes no sense... Still a great movie, though.

I recently read the Holy Fools Gilliam book and he seemed really angry at Blade Runner, which I sort of found as a shock.

His main problem was that he found the ending a cop out, which I'm assuming is the original theatrical version. I don't know if Deckard being a replicant or not factors into his dislike, since they still "get away," in all versions. I just figured they were going to die soon, so it really wasn't a happy ending.

Also I haven't seen the new version. I guess I should pick that up someday, as it has become ridiculously cheap for a five disc set.

Also, I agree: The Final Cut is the way to go. Definitely the most fully-rounded experience (and only Ridley Scott approved version out there). There's almost nothing but curiosity to recommend watching the other cuts... and if you're curious, then watch the Work Print Cut next. Then the original. Then the "Director's Cut" (which wasn't really a directors cut).

I thought I read somewhere that the final cut tones down the

bit where Roy pushes his thumbs into Tyrell's eyes.

Is that true? That would be an unfortunate choice if so.

I thought I read somewhere that the final cut tones down the

bit where Roy pushes his thumbs into Tyrell's eyes.

Is that true? That would be an unfortunate choice if so.

Actually it's quite the opposite.

All the gore removed from the Director's Cut has been put back in.

Is the 28 Days Later eyeball scene an homage to the Blade Runner eyeball scene? I guess I'm just now realizing this.

That and I just don't seem to see the ol' jam-the-fingers-in-the-eyes move used much in movies.

Hey, could anybody recommended me any kind of movies or documentaries about music?

It Might Get Loud

Until the Light Takes Us - Interesting doc about Scandinavian death metal

ANVIL: The Story of Anvil - actually discussed earlier in the thread, about aging Canadian rockers going for it as hard as they can.

Le Tigre on Tour - new-ish doc following the feminist art-punk-electronic group on a tour of the states. Awesome.

Those are the three I've seen most recently. I'm sure more would come to mind if I thought about it more.

Until the Light Takes Us - Interesting doc about Scandinavian death metal

Not death metal, but black metal. There is a difference.

Edited by Nappi
Can't even steal pictures properly anymore.

All of the above are good picks. I also will jump at any chance to recommend The Blues Brothers, where they showcase a lot of artists from a specific era.

Beat is the Law about 80s Sheffield bands is somewhat interesting. There's another one called Live Forever about the 90s britpop fiasco I thought was okay.

Really I just saw these for the Pulp factor, but they were interesting and well made either way.

There's another full documentary on the creation of the Gorillaz called Bananaz that shows a way different Damon Albarn than the one in Live Forever, but I guess you'd have to be a fan of the Gorillaz first.

For the anglophiles, I suppose.

Global Metal is an enjoyable documentary on metal of different cultures. Some of my friends appear in the Dubai section!

I'd recommend any and all of the following:

Part of the Weekend Never Dies - Radio Soulwax

A Cross the Universe - Justice

Kraftwerk and the Electronic Revolution

The Filth And The Fury - A Sex Pistols Film (Stuff by Julien Temple is generally pretty good. He's done another Sex Pistols film as well as one about Joe Strummer)

I've also heard good things about 'DiG!' and Seperado! although I'm yet to see either of them.