ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Could it, though, possibly be a rights thing?

I really doubt it. I'm sure they're just staggering it for marketing purposes. Got to admit releasing the directors and theatrical cuts on the same day is quite loopy in terms of consumer awareness, could create confusion.

Speaking of releases being held up in other regions, where the fuck are the Grindhouse and Kill Bill box sets? I want to give these people my money but they won't take it.

I know! I want my requisite Rodriguez extras, like the Cooking School!

I'm hoping to see Moon at the end of the month, when it'll be shown in Bristol for 1 week only.

So, again, I'm not a fan of anime but I'm watching Ergo Proxy. I've seen four episodes and I'm loving it. It's a strange blend of cyberpunk, philosophy, science-fiction (as in general), noir, police procedural and a bit of biology/arts/physics (Haploid number appears, Michelangelo's Day and Night statue, etc).

The art style's pretty good as well.

20061031-screen-ergoproxy-v1.jpg

That looks promising--thanks for posting this up, Kroms!

I saw the new Harry Potter last night and I enjoyed it. I read/heard that it was the same cinematographer as Amelie, and it showed. Really, really great looking stuff all over the place. Definitely the best looking of all the films, but my favorite (book and movie) remain #3.

Some stupid fucking bitch 3 seats down from me had diarrhea of the mouth and couldn't stop yapping to her friend or waving her fucking Blackberry around. Cunt. I HATE movie theaters. I always end up sitting next to the fucking chatterboxes and I get so pissed & preoccupied with them that I can't enjoy the movie. Guh!

Some stupid fucking bitch 3 seats down from me had diarrhea of the mouth and couldn't stop yapping to her friend or waving her fucking Blackberry around. Cunt. I HATE movie theaters. I always end up sitting next to the fucking chatterboxes and I get so pissed & preoccupied with them that I can't enjoy the movie. Guh!

I've always loved the Looney Tunes gag where the character shoots the guy who won't stop shuffling around in the audience.

This is why I stopped going to the cinema for ages. It got to the point where it seemed I was having an argument with other movie goers all the time. The last time, which was kind of the final nail in the coffin for me, one set of teenage girls were talking for ages. Then their phone rang. THEN they answered! So I stormed over and snatched the phone and told them to fuck off. Then they carried on after a while so I got an attendant, who to be fair, did sort them out. The film was already ruined, but at least the last hour was quiet.

I find it kind of weird that other people have such terrible experiences with cinemas, because although I have encountered that sort of thing, relative quietness is pretty much the norm for me. What I do find amusing is the audible sigh I've encountered in every fully-subtitled film when a portion of the audience realizes they're going to have to read if they want to follow the plot.

Speaking of which, my last really outrageous cinema experience was The Orphanage. That had all sorts of sighing and chatting and phone-answering and the people right next to me repeatedly getting in and out of their seats. Thankfully everyone seemed to give up being dicks by about forty-five minutes in, and they hadn't actually ruined it for me anyway. I might be fairly tolerant.

Besides that, it's mainly just people laughing really loudly at stuff that isn't funny, and sometimes isn't even intended to be funny.

Terminator Salvation. I'm late to the party, because no way was I going to pay to see that in the cinema.

Here is my review:

In the future, the immense nuclear scars on the landscape are dwarfed by the size of the plot-holes.

Also I severely dislike Christian Bale now. Maybe his on-set outburst was him staying in-character, because John Conner appears to be an arrogant self-important twat who gets himself into trouble and then expects the rest of the world to save him and do as he says.

I just got back from watching Hurt Locker. Beautifully shot, wonderfully emotive, but the plot is a bit looser than I was hoping for.

I should have known better, a movie with this much artistic integrity wouldn't sully its theme by employing a traditional climactic arc.

Quickly Dan, wash Terminator Salvation away with a good Christian Bale by watching The Prestige or something :)

I did enjoy The Prestige, but I fear even that is now tarnished for me. He's just too smug!

In the future, the immense nuclear scars on the landscape are dwarfed by the size of the plot-holes.

This is Spart genius !

Saw Antichrist last night, enjoyed it overall, there were a few too many high-motion scenes of symbolism that felt like they were forced into the flow, claims of it being misogynistic seemed specious, however I'm not entirely sure what LArs was trying to say as the female lead shared a lot of characteristics with an ex so I took a highly subjective interpretation away with me.

DOIN IT ALL FOR MY BABY

HAPPY TO BE STUCK WITH YOU

AND THAT'S THE POWER OF LOVE

WE GOTTA GO BACK IN TIME

IT'S HIP TO BE SQUARE

DOIN IT DOIN IT

(I think they play his whole discography over the speakers at Walgreen's if you sit in the store long enough.)

Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Because I actually work at the Walgreens corporate office, I can try to pull some strings if you want.

Fortunately there are no loudspeakers in my office. Well actually there are, but we don't get cool Huey Lewis music, we just get notices when someone's headlights are on.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Because I actually work at the Walgreens corporate office, I can try to pull some strings if you want.

Fortunately there are no loudspeakers in my office. Well actually there are, but we don't get cool Huey Lewis music, we just get notices when someone's headlights are on.

Wow really? I haven't worked there for a few years now since I graduated college, but it was kind of funny. When I worked at a Kinko's before that it was Huey Lewis almost all day too, but most people don't think of Kinko's as having music so I didn't mention it.

Haha I guess it's a good thing, though, since I would much prefer that over the campaign they had for a while promoting the Olivia Newton John song about breast cancer that would play every 30 minutes on the speakers.

Do you like Huey Lewis and the News, Dan?

:shifty:

I do not know.

Saw Moon! On for one week only at the local independent cinema. It was very sedate, I'm not certain it managed to deliver on its major (spoiled by trailers) twist, but still very well shot and they explored the idea nicely. Cool stuff. I hope we have more films like this coming out of Briton in the future.

It's

hilarious that this thread is starting to look like publicly released CIA documents

I can't

wait to see the movie, and then come back here and click on all the black lines to see what you're talking about

Tonight I went to see A Perfect Getaway, which is a trashy thriller written and directed by David Twohy - the chap who did Pitch Black and Chronicles of Riddick. It was pretty enjoyable - one of those silly, trashy, spot-the-twist flicks that doesn't take itself seriously, and still manages to be quite charming, despite being a little clumsy and heavy-handed at times. Relatively spunky, beautiful cast, too, with Milla Jovovich and Timothy Olyphant.

Probably the funniest aspect of it is, it is set on Hawaii - something integral to the plot - but due to tax breaks, it was actually filmed in Puerto Rico. But, using the magic of modern VFX tech, they just superimposed CG shots of Hawaii onto the Puerto Rico footage. Sweet.

Maybe when they (never) inevitably scrape the barrel and make a Monkey Island 2 film, they can use the hi-res scans of the painted backgrounds.

Also -- I saw Inglourious Basterds last week - but I'm bound-by-'bargo until next week. And I'm not Jonathan Ross, who twittered his opinion as soon as he got home from the screening, so I can't comment on it.

This is the best romantic comedy since High Fidelity, people, go check it out. I think Zooey Deschannel is a terrible actress, but the writing and directing made this film work. And work WELL.

Tokyo! was an excellent recent watch of mine.

It consists of 3 shorts, 1 each directed by Michel Gondry, Bong Joon-Ho and Leos Carax. Each was a fun little take from an outsiders view of the Japanese city. While some had dramatic elements I would say that each were lighthearted and easy to watch.

tokyo2.jpg

I did enjoy The Prestige, but I fear even that is now tarnished for me. He's just too smug!

Yeah, his confidence is becoming annoying, especially if he's just going to keep playing the same kind of characters...

Oh on my description of the end of Antichrist I forgot this key point

in a flash back u see that she sees the child climb up by the window and does nothing about it