ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

I watched Hancock the other day, and I really liked it. I did notice it had a bit of a bad rap so wasn't expecting much, but I really can't see why it was criticised so much. :yep:

Yeah, it's pretty enjoyable. The criticism is against the structure - the second half of the film feels tacked on and jerks suddenly out of the much more interesting aspects of the early parts. It feels almost like two films welded together, which apparently is what happened (can't give a source for that though).

I'm not particularly perceptive about this sort of stuff, but from what I remember you can quite easily pinpoint where that film falls to pieces.

I watched Hancock the other day. I did notice it had a bit of a bad rap

Over the credits?

VIDEOGUM reviews TRANSFORMERS 2, and the results are predictably hilarious.

Here is my favorite part!

Transformers 2 review Not that she was even the most problematic robot. No, the most problematic robots were the two black robots who couldn't read, one of whom had a gold tooth. A lot has already been said about these guys. Some people have suggested that this might be racist. Really? MIGHT BE? "But how could it be racist if the black actors who did the voices for the robots weren't bothered by it?" I don't know, ask their new swimming pool.

A film that people might enjoy: 9

OnoJecu9e7c

From an original short:

5IQcMeNh7Hc

Edited by Scrobbs

That could be a good movie, but the trailer really tries to hide that possibility.

Maybe you're right. After watching the short, which I really liked, will Burton do it justice?

Hey Scrobbs - thanks for embedding the short that 9 is based on, I'd never seen it!

I've been looking forward to 9, mostly because of my love of Timur Bekmambetov's Russian film Night Watch (and to slightly lesser degrees: Day Watch and Wanted as well) - the guy has a great visual sense, and this collaboration with Tim Burton seems to be a great fit for them both. Add to that the wonderfully compelling source material and this thing looks (to me) to be firing on a cylinders. I hope I'm right!

My pleasure - I'd only just seen it myself, having only just found out about 9 the feature length, and gone looking for trailers.

Everyone's a winner! :grin:

I've been looking forward to 9, mostly because of my love of Timur Bekmambetov's Russian film Night Watch (and to slightly lesser degrees: Day Watch and Wanted as well) - the guy has a great visual sense, and this collaboration with Tim Burton seems to be a great fit for them both.

But these guys are just the producers, so I don't understand the appeal? It's not as if they had anything to do with the original short. The director of the short is still the director of the movie.

If anything I had nothing but disgust after seeing the actual trailer for the movie version. I did enjoy seeing the original short many times over in college, as the teacher's really didn't know how to find different short animated films for us to watch, and it had a certain slow moving charm (which seemed to owe a lot to Oddworld) that appears to be completely lost now. It seems all Hollywooded now with the ridiculous US animation formula onslaught of popular actors who *really* aren't voice actors, big explosions, trite save the world plot, and probably a fart joke or two. At least it's not CG talking animals all cocking an eyebrow, so I'll probably go and see it in theaters just because of that.

At least it's not CG talking animals all cocking an eyebrow, so I'll probably go and see it in theaters just because of that.

Whatever do you mean?

pixarvsdreamworks.th.jpg

Content: I just watched Zoolander for the first time and daaaamn I've been missing out, that movie just does not stop. Start to finish laughs for me and a few friends, who typically have very different tastes in movies (especially comedies).

Whatever do you mean?

(Funny image goes here)

Haha, that was exactly what I refering to! (not that I'm a big fan of Pixar either)

I was the same as you...thought Zoolander would be pish. Then I watched and became a Stiller fan.

I was the same as you...thought Zoolander would be pish. Then I watched and became a Stiller fan.

The male model gas fight is one of the single funniest scenes in a movie ever.

The other funniest scenes ever:

1) the Borat nude wrestling sequence.

2) Ben Stiller crossing the bridge with the little boy on his back in Tropic Thunder.

I had high hopes for Tropic Thunder, but thought it a bit boring. Downey Jr was my fave character in that one, especially when he started accusing a black man of being racist, "What do you mean 'you people'?".

The male model gas fight is one of the single funniest scenes in a movie ever.

The other funniest scenes ever:

1) the Borat nude wrestling sequence.

2) Ben Stiller crossing the bridge with the little boy on his back in Tropic Thunder.

Definitely some of my favourite moments, too!

Shame Tropic Thunder wasn't as funny as it could have been (they had enough time to perfect the screenplay!), but I would add Jack Black tied to a tree into that list.

And also the scene with Jack Black in Anchorman.

For fans of Jean-Pierre Jeunet (Delicatessen, City of Lost Children, Amelie...) Check out the trailer for MICMACS!

WAIT! He's actually been working on something?!?!

I like that Tex Avery cartoon on his television set by the way.

What an absolutely delicious trailer. So full of fun, understatement, love.