Spaff

The World Cup hate thread

It's everywhere i fucking go, football football football.

fuck off fucking oafish dumb witted shifdfgkf gjkfghjdfjhfshgh cunts.

And this random patriotism, god damn flag wavers everywhere, it's like being in America ARGH.

And now there is a fucking topic about it here too

:bomb: :bomb: :bomb::frusty: :frusty: :frusty::hitler: :hitler: :( :( :tdown:

Meanwhile, I'm probably the only person in America that is watching the World Cup. It doesn't help that USA's team is complete shit.

This will be the first time I use this:

:hitler:

There's orange everywhere. Everything turns into a soccerthemed, soccerpunned, soccersaturated society. People blow soccerhorns randomly on the streets. This is in a way amusing, because the majority of folks here do nothing but curse on everything Dutch over the greater part of the year, but as soon as it's championship time, everyone's an effing nationalist. GRAAABFHHLLL!!

Two days ago I bought a pair of pants and the guy at the register recommended their fresh shipment of boxers colored like the Brazilian and German flags. Fuck.

hear hear...

I don't like football either (or like some people would like to call it: soccer)

and all this orange crap is plain annoying (orange (and pink) are the worst colors ever).

I'm not a football fan at all really, and I'm not going to be watching any matches that aren't England games.

But support your country you tratorous swine!

Fuck the hooligans, fuck the flags, but be happy if your country wins a game! And if you lose then feel a little shame, because it means your country is the shittest. In the world.

I like the world cup and I like watching the England games. It's an excuse to have some mates around and get pissed and eat junk food and shout at the T.V.

Spaff's just an unpatriotic, sports hating scrooge.

I don't mind soccer, but until the NHL Playoffs are over (could be as early as Friday...) I really don't care too much about it. I've caught a couple of games. Was impressed with Ghana's honour (helping up knocked over Italians and the like) and utterly disgusted with Argentina's theatrics. Those guys are the reason that North Americans don't take soccer seriously. You were grazed by a toe, get the fuck up and get on with it you asshole. Still, as long as a match hasn't had Argentina in it, I haven't minded watching. The key is to not give a shit about the outcome and just enjoy the game.

Meanwhile, I'm probably the only person in America that is watching the World Cup. It doesn't help that USA's team is complete shit.

I'm watching too. And rooting for England, just to get Spaff's goat!

:waluigi:

But yeah, in (the US of) America, no one gives a fuck about soccer, so I feel obligated to make it the only sport to which I pay attention. And did you see Terry save that T&T goal? Hot damn!

Also, my friend insists that the USA team is good and ranked no. 5, but you certainly wouldn't know it from the C.R. game.

On another note, I wish that I could watch the world cup somewhere other than ESPN 2. It's awful and they always have graphics popping up that take up half the screen. The commentators are complete shit too, every time Beckham kicks the ball, they always talks about how he bends it. They probably wouldn't even know what a bend was if the movie "Bend it Like Beckham" was never made.

On another note, I wish that I could watch the world cup somewhere other than ESPN 2. It's awful and they always have graphics popping up that take up half the screen. The commentators are complete shit too, every time Beckham kicks the ball, they always talks about how he bends it. They probably wouldn't even know what a bend was if the movie "Bend it Like Beckham" was never made.

Yeah, they aren't terribly bright. There are some non-American announcers on some of the games who aren't as bad.

I recommend a Spanish station if you can find it, and even moreso if you can understand parts of it. Much more entertaining, and the announcers are a lot more engaged.

It isn't "goal" in Spanish, though, is it?

I just realized that while our football championships (aka the Super Bowl) aren't as crazy as your fans, we have to deal with it every year. I wonder if that makes us even.

...... We have a team?

the commentators are the worst part of watching sports.. they always crap out bullshit just to make sure there is no radio silence.

I was wondering about the lack of a world cup thread in this forum.

LeChimp, I am also watching it from the US, though I'm not really from the US and I'm watching it in spanish on Univision... I really need the "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL", you see.

Spaff, go uh... I've got nothing.

I don't care much for it but it's a nice excuse to hang out with people and act all crazy. I don't have TV anymore so I miss 90% of the bullshit surrounding the tournament.

Does 'TV' mean 'go outside' for you, Marek? I don't watch TV either, but if the whole damn street isn't flowered in orange. You can't escape this thing, and that's the thing I despise about it. They push it in everyone's faces. Especially in the world of commerce it's misery all around. You know, I can *understand* if they use the championships as a hook to sell products that people otherwise wouldn't buy, right? Like huge plasma TV's. But there's also legions of products that you would buy regardless of it, and they're STILL covered in soccer muck. Take buns in the supermarket. Regular effing buns. I've seen them in special soccer-packages a few days ago and they were called 'doel-puntjes', which is arguably the most horrible pun ever in the history of our flawed but beautiful country!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,1798830,00.html

Supposing ... robots played in the World Cup

Charlie Brooker (yay!)

Friday June 16, 2006

The Guardian

[...]

It's quite simple. I've finally realised that loudly and repeatedly complaining that the World Cup is a whopping great pain in the arse ultimately achieves nothing. Us haters can't win. We're either accused of adopting a contrary position for the sake of it, or told to just ignore it (which we can't, because it's bloody everywhere). Sometimes fans yawn and say they're bored by us killjoys moaning about it, even though they can't possibly be as bored as we are, bored with every flag and cheer and news report and rebranded chocolate bar: the kind of boredom that gnaws at your bones till you don't want to live any more. They just don't understand.

And sometimes people look genuinely upset, and implore you to stop having a go at the World Cup on humanitarian grounds. "Leave it alone, it's just a bit of fun ... it's done nothing to you," they whine through their disgusting football-loving faces, as though the World Cup were a defenceless nine-year-old girl you're attacking with a hammer, instead of an overhyped moneyspinning festival of tedium in which the world's thickest millionaires kick a rubbish ball round a poxy field to the wonderment of an audience of foghorning cretins. In my pathetic opinion.

I dunno... by not watching TV I have already brought the bullshit to tolerable levels. I don't mind the orange on the street, in fact I like that. I do hate the billion product tie-ins, as they are mostly just dumb and spoil the spirit of the games.

Still, a Soccer Cup is a good substitute for war.

Does 'TV' mean 'go outside' for you, Marek? I don't watch TV either, but if the whole damn street isn't flowered in orange. You can't escape this thing, and that's the thing I despise about it. They push it in everyone's faces. Especially in the world of commerce it's misery all around. You know, I can *understand* if they use the championships as a hook to sell products that people otherwise wouldn't buy, right? Like huge plasma TV's. But there's also legions of products that you would buy regardless of it, and they're STILL covered in soccer muck. Take buns in the supermarket. Regular effing buns. I've seen them in special soccer-packages a few days ago and they were called 'doel-puntjes', which is arguably the most horrible pun ever in the history of our flawed but beautiful country!

Oh man, yesterday I made a really funny joke about Irish history. I sounded so educated and intellectual. I might start a thread about it actually, it was pretty funny...

And this random patriotism, god damn flag wavers everywhere, it's like being in America ARGH.

It's like that here, except that there are about 32 different flags being waved all over the place. Mostly on cars. See them side by side with other nations. Sometimes on the same car (saw an Argentina + Portugal mix yesterday, as well as an Italian+English). And it's fun to go down to Little Portugal to celebrate their win one day, and then go a couple blocks east to Little Italy to celebrate their win, and then a few blocks west to the Polish area to get depressed and drunk :frusty: Then I talked with the local shopkeep about Korea's chances in the group now that France has tied. It's kinda fun, but likely because it isn't so oversaturated here.

Especially since we suck at football, so all the multicultural aspects of this country get to cheer for their nations for a month. But when Canada is playing a major hockey tournament, everyone is Canadian. (almost)