General Fuzzy McBitty

PS3 to "KILL PC" also: it's not expensive enough.

Get this gang! When the PS3 comes out, we won't need our PCs anymore!!! I can't believe how amazing it's going to be!!!!!:hah:

Seriously, with horse shit like this floating around, I can build that farm I always wanted.

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2006/06/01/phil-harrison-the-playstation-3-will-kill-pc/

"Oh no he didn't! Yes gamers, he did. In a recent interview, Phil Harrison of Sony stated that PC gamers will find themselves without a viable platform once the PlayStation 3 hits the shelves. When he wasn't defending Sony against "copy-cat" allegations concerning the new controller and Nintendo, he had this to say: "We believe that the PS3 will be the place where our users play games, watch films, browse the Web, and use other [home] computer functions," said Harrison. "The PlayStation 3 is a computer. We do not need the PC."

One thing is for sure: with the price of the PS3 being closer to a PC than a home console, it better damn well perform like it. Now whether it's going to be killing off the personal computer as we know it (for gamers, at least) is debatable. The PC has always staved off the threat of Video game consoles, so it's hard to imagine that a system with so much ground to cover could show up and take out a platform that's been historically healthy throughout the years.

Think you'll be getting rid of your PC when the PlayStation 3 comes out in November?"

Also, apparently we don't realize how good we have it with "cheap" PS3 hardware. :frusty:

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/05/17/kutaragi-playstation-3-is-too-cheap/

"In a disturbing twist, Ken Kutaragi has gone on record stating that the PlayStation 3's $600 price tag is "too cheap." The SCE president has again compared the forthcoming console to a fine dining experience. His argument is that no one calls into question the price differential between some slop at the cafeteria and a meal at an upscale restaurant. From his (deep pockets) point of view, "If you can have an amazing experience, we believe price is not a problem."

Does Sony's braggadocio excite anyone? Because it's turning us off.

After a paltry E3 showing - from a games perspective - it's hard to see the PS3 as anything more than a Trojan horse for sneaking (relatively) cheap Blu-ray devices into consumers' homes. The PlayStation brand is being pimped, and gamers are paying for it, literally. It's ridiculous for Kutaragi to suggest that his company is doing us a favor by launching the PS3 for $600. It's also disrespectful. Who else gets the feeling that Sony is looking down on us?"

Will I be able to:

- browse the internet

- read\write emails

- write documents

- program my own games

- store\upload my digital photos

- set up a 2 monitor\tv system

- listen to my favorite music

- populate my mobile music player with my favorite music

with the PS3?

No? Then I'm sorry, I'll have to spend a whooping $500 euro on a PC that does allow me to do that.

Also, apparently we don't realize how good we have it with "cheap" PS3 hardware. :frusty:

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/05/17/kutaragi-playstation-3-is-too-cheap/

To be fair, the PS3 is actually quite cheap. Considering the amount of new tech inside there, with the Cell processor, BluRay-ROM and a very high end nVidia video card, $600 is quite a low price. It costs far more than that to manufacture (not to mention the R&D), and they'll be making a far bigger loss than the $126 Microsoft do on each 360. However, everything is relative, so in comparison to the 360, it certainly is very expensive. However, for the tech in the box, yeah, the price is a bargain.

Will I be able to:

- browse the internet

- read\write emails

- write documents

- program my own games

- store\upload my digital photos

- set up a 2 monitor\tv system

- listen to my favorite music

- populate my mobile music player with my favorite music

Apparently, you will be able to. The PS3 supports dual monitors, and for the rest of your list, they say Linux is going to come pre-installed, which potentially means all of the above will be possible. I'm not convinced though. I'm not convinced that after being against homebrew scene for years now, that they're just going to open their system and allow anyone to do anything with it. It just doesn't make sense.

Time will tell though ...

SiN

My main problem is that Blu-ray still may not take hold. The majority of users do not need a new format yet. High Def isn't prevelant enough to warrant it. If we were 3-5 years in the future (The world of the PS4) it would be better, but as it is it feels like we're jumping the gun.

Apparently, you will be able to. The PS3 supports dual monitors, and for the rest of your list, they say Linux is going to come pre-installed, which potentially means all of the above will be possible. I'm not convinced though. I'm not convinced that after being against homebrew scene for years now, that they're just going to open their system and allow anyone to do anything with it. It just doesn't make sense.

Time will tell though ...

SiN

They cut the dual monitor suport, but the rest is true.

I see nothing in what Phil Harrison that talks about "killing" the PC. That's just lazy editorialising by a shitty blog. Also especially lazy is taking his quote out of its context. He said that quote in answer to a question about whether he was bothered by Microsoft's Live Anywhere. Hence him saying "we don't need the PC".

I also happen to think he's/Sony is largely wrong. A TV screen is fundamentally different from a computer screen. A controller is fundamentally different from a keyboard. If a TV screen and a controller was better suited to the kinds of tasks you do on a computer, we'd all have been using TV screens and controllers for the past 10 years already.

Obviously most of the digital entertainment stuff is better done on a TV screen, but all this talk about web browsers and writing emails and creating blogs, competing with MySpace is going to end up being watered-down, half-assed and a waste of development resources.

To be fair, the PS3 is actually quite cheap. Considering the amount of new tech inside there, with the Cell processor, BluRay-ROM and a very high end nVidia video card, $600 is quite a low price. It costs far more than that to manufacture (not to mention the R&D), and they'll be making a far bigger loss than the $126 Microsoft do on each 360. However, everything is relative, so in comparison to the 360, it certainly is very expensive. However, for the tech in the box, yeah, the price is a bargain.

Yeah sure. I trust that number. Lying about the loss you make on each unit sold has a positive effect on the sales. It's the same crap as the RRP and the price they sell it to you.

Apparently, you will be able to. The PS3 supports dual monitors, and for the rest of your list, they say Linux is going to come pre-installed, which potentially means all of the above will be possible.

Heard that before. The PS2 was going to have Linux and what not. Anyway, most of this "info" comes from the marketing department.

If Sony make a mouse/keyboard combination accessory, then I can see how some of this stuff will work out, but if not, there's no way any gamer, casual or not, will forsake their PCs or Macs.

I also happen to think he's/Sony is largely wrong. A TV screen is fundamentally different from a computer screen. A controller is fundamentally different from a keyboard. If a TV screen and a controller was better suited to the kinds of tasks you do on a computer, we'd all have been using TV screens and controllers for the past 10 years already.

Which is why the PS3 can be output to computer screens, and you can plug in a keyboard/mouse via USB.

Obviously most of the digital entertainment stuff is better done on a TV screen, but all this talk about web browsers and writing emails and creating blogs, competing with MySpace is going to end up being watered-down, half-assed and a waste of development resources.

But again, if they pull through with this Linux stuff, none of the above will be true. It won't be half-assed, because it'll be Firefox and Thunderbird on an operating system that has been around for ages.

Yeah sure. I trust that number. Lying about the loss you make on each unit sold has a positive effect on the sales. It's the same crap as the RRP and the price they sell it to you.

Uhhh, AFAIR those are estimates from independent sources. And besides by just looking at the technology under the PS3's hood, it's *very* obvious that Sony will be making a bigger loss than Microsoft, despite the higher price-point.

Heard that before. The PS2 was going to have Linux and what not. Anyway, most of this "info" comes from the marketing department.

Oh, and it does. Official Linux kit from Sony and everything. It just happens to be rather shit. :)

Which is exactly why I said "time will tell" ... I won't believe it until I see it.

SiN

The only way the PS3 to replace the PC is to BE a PC...

Can it support:

-Scanners?

-Tv Cards?

-Digital Cameras?

-7 in 1 Media drives?

-Printers?

Can it run all my PC games, even from the most modern ones to the old ones?

Something can't "replace" another unless it does the exact same things only better or cheaper...

Ugh... I'm getting madder and madder at Sony each day...

What next? Will they say that the PS3 will pleasure you sexually? That you can't get into Heaven unless you buy one? :getmecoat

The keyboard/mouse plugin thing and the "connect it to a PC monitor" stuff is still crap. It's a game console. It goes under my TV and I sit on my sofa 5 feet away. A distance of 5 feet is not a practical distance to be doing a lot of text heavy work. It is a distance well suited to visual images.

Talking about how you can plug a computer monitor in is so ridiculous. Really, what am I going to do, set up a desk next to my TV for when I want to use the PS3 for its PC-esque functions? Unplug the PS3 and take it to a desk and plug it into a computer monitor there? How is that a practical and reasonable usage pattern?

It's not. It's half-assed. If you want to get text to work in a living room setting, you are talking about buying a 40" HDTV for several thousand dollars. And once you've done that, how is a PS3 a cheap alternative to a PC?

Uhhh, AFAIR those are estimates from independent sources. And besides by just looking at the technology under the PS3's hood, it's *very* obvious that Sony will be making a bigger loss than Microsoft, despite the higher price-point.

Was talking about the loss MS makes on their xbox360.

ah well... who knowns (except some MS people)

What about considering it to be a cheap alternative to a multimedia PC?

That makes a bit more sense.

The only reasons why one would want a multimedia PC are for PVR functionality and ability to play PC games on big screen TV. Neither of which PS3 can provide (as far as I know)

If everyone bought PS3 to replace their PCs, Sony would quickly go bankrupt. There's a pleasing thought.

The only way the PS3 to replace the PC is to BE a PC...

Can it support:

-Scanners?

-Tv Cards?

-Digital Cameras?

-7 in 1 Media drives?

-Printers?

Can it run all my PC games, even from the most modern ones to the old ones?

Since the hard drive comes pre-installed with Linux, all of those, including running old PC games (thanks to WINE and DOSBox) are possible.

Probable? No.

Practical? No.

But theoretically possible. Digital Cameras and 7 in 1 Media Drives will likely be supported from day 1. 7 in 1 media drives are already supported (this is so if you buy the cheapo version you can still add SD/CF/Memory Stick support).

As was already pointed out, Sony's not saying you can throw out your PC and use your PS3 as a desktop (although you can if you really want to). All they're saying is that they're not scared of Microsoft's PC initiative.

I don't see any reason why anyone would *want* to run Linux on their PS3, but according to Sony, it's going to be preinstalled. That opens up the world, more or less.

You'd have to define "multimedia PC" a bit more precisely for me to be able to answer that. "Multimedia PC" to me is a PC with a CDrom drive from back in the days when everyone thought CDroms (and not the Internet, as it actually turned out) was going to be the PC's killer app.

Cheap alternative to a Media Center-esque PC? I'm not really sure about cheap, probably more same-price, but sure, I'd go with that.

Since the hard drive comes pre-installed with Linux, all of those, including running old PC games (thanks to WINE and DOSBox) are possible.

I maybe completely off here, but WINE does not provide processor emulation unlike DOSBox. PS3 has some wacky processor and I'm pretty sure old Windows games won't be able to handle that. DOSBox would work, though.

I maybe completely off here, but WINE does not provide processor emulation unlike DOSBox. PS3 has some wacky processor and I'm pretty sure old Windows games won't be able to handle that. DOSBox would work, though.

I stand corrected, WINE doesn't support non-x86. It would need some kind of CPU emulator in order to run it.

But seeing as how CELL is powerful enough to run Your Digital Life, it should be powerful enough to do that, right? Right?

Probably not.

I stand corrected, WINE doesn't support non-x86. It would need some kind of CPU emulator in order to run it.

But seeing as how CELL is powerful enough to run Your Digital Life, it should be powerful enough to do that, right? Right?

Probably not.

so... qemu

still, it's a lot of hassle

My main problem is that Blu-ray still may not take hold. The majority of users do not need a new format yet. High Def isn't prevelant enough to warrant it. If we were 3-5 years in the future (The world of the PS4) it would be better, but as it is it feels like we're jumping the gun.

The majority of USERS do not need a new format, you're right. But HD-DVD and Blu-Ray aren't made for users. They're made because DVD isn't seen as secure enough to prevent digital piracy. The movie studios are the ones accelerating the push to a new format so they can have more control over content. Simple as that. And of course SONY (in the movie business themselves) is aching to get blu-ray into homes so they can transition away from DVD as fast as they can.

I agree, Blu Ray is waaaay to soon, DVDs are only now becoming more common to put games on and still aren't dominant, I say at least 3 more years before we should even think of thinking of considering Blu Ray

I seriously doubt Linux on PS3 will be much more than a joke. Linux code has to be GPL'd, so that anyone can re-use it and adapt it for other GPL'd purposes, and Sony...well, do I even need to say anything? They're like the most pro DRM, we-manage-your-rights-not-the-other-way, artists-are-getting-screwed-by-the-internet, sharing-is-for-hippies company that ever existed. The only way Linux on the PS3 could do anything useful is if Sony wrote its own proprietary apps that didn't connect with the Linux codebase at all. In which case...why not just write your own proprietary OS anyway?

This is marketing horse-shit.

If Linux will be on the PS3 it's mostly due to IBMs work.