ysbreker

Half-life 2 - episode one

The Half-Life Saga Story is crap. It hasn't been updated in forever and lots of recent information contradicts it. Yes, the Vortigaunts were enslaved in HL1... by the Nihilanth. The Nihilanth was a tinpot dictator running from the real big bad, the Combine. Its massive organic power over teleportation apparently allowed it to hold back the Combine portals... but once Gordon killed it, the Combine were free to invade Xen and then Earth. (Note that HL2 mentions that the Combine have lots of problems with teleportation, to the point where they can't teleport locally, only between universes, which is clearly not the case of the Nihilanth's minions in the final levels of HL1.)

And of course I can't find the reference now. It was just in some interview or other. They give lots of them. Admittedly, I much preferred the idea that the Combine were on Xen, as it would explain the slave Vortigaunt at the beginning of HL2, along with a myriad of other things... but they said it. But hey, maybe they'll change their minds. They've also said something to the effect that if it wasn't in the game, it isn't certain.

It hasn't been updated in forever since there hasn't been a new Half-Life release in forever. Like you say, if it isn't in the game it isn't certain yet.

Maybe what you're saying is right, but I'd really, really like to see some links and perhaps another compilation page that's similarly exhaustive so that I get the full picture. For now I'm sticking to the Saga Guide, it seems reasonable in most aspects and even though the story might have been slightly revised, there's a note on the main page saying Mark Laidlaw thinks it's "pretty darn accurate for the most part".

Some quotes from the Nihilanth:

Their slaves, we are their slaves, we are.

The truth, you can never know the truth.

Done, what have you done.

Just like the Vortigaunts and other enemies, the Nihilanth is shackled (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Nihilanth.jpg).

The whole "Combine already on the scene" thing makes more sense to me, given that, than the "Nihilanth running the show" angle. What I recall from various snippets of info spread through interviews is that they wanted there to be a bigger figure behind the scenes of the events of HL1, but until they started on HL2, they hadn't really pinned down any specifics.

I know that Gearbox made opposing force, so it may be irrelevant, but what the hell do we make of the green slob in the end, was he (or pehaps she :grin:) also some kind of master under the combine spell?

In all I really don't care about where all the little blocks fall into place. I like it better unexplained and full of potential, rather than flat and beat to a pulp. However, I wouldn't mind some manner of something a little deeper.

It seems it is all mostly straightforward unimpressive action movie story with exposition holes for good measure. It is exciting and all, but just a little too monotonous in its purpose, which is to tease us with its clever puzzles and neat, fluid progression while we travel around killing things.

With Alyx being a little more than just an automaton telling me to hurry up, they've done something really clever. I found myself mumbling things such as, "Let's go, darling," "Where are you, girlie?" and so on, which made me feel lonely and pathetic... ;(

But then, she never was in any danger. I could accidentally discharge a shotgun into the back of her head or let a grenade-wielding zombine explode in her face and I knew she was just fine. I even kinda used her as a decoy in places. I never needed to share health packs with her or anything like that which would have established more of a basic survival connection between Gordon and her. That is a flaw, I fear.

Having her die time and again wouldn't have been particularly joyous, but the overall experience wouldn't feel like playing with someone in god mode. It would've been more fun if we were looking out for each other. Now, about that EP2 spoiler...

Having made us care for her, I fear that making her fall to her death in front of our eyes sometime in the next episode will be a fairly cheap plot point. Not because we will be sad, but because it will be unjust to do so in an interactive environment.

It would be better if that happened elsewhere, somewhere outside our reach, not in a scripted sequence. For some reason I am annoyed in advance by the prospect of her hanging over the threshold, me having full control over Gordon, approaching the ledge and having her fall when I cross an imaginary line that denotes the start of the dreaded cinematic.

For some reason I find this more deceitful than a straightforward prerendered cutscene. Maybe not deceitful par se, but definitely uninspired interactive storytelling. That is, if it indeed happens as I fear it might.

It would be better if it was some sort of un-winnable mini-game sort of thing, you know one of those that you play to get a high score, but there is no real "win" condition? Like Tetris, for a lack of a better ready example. That way I will actively be postponing her demise and not merely triggering a cutscene. I will not feel penalized for trying to advance the story--I will fail in spite of trying my best.

Maybe instead of the requisite points that make Tetris fun to play, the longer I keep her hanging, the more she tells me about something I as the player and Gordon might be interested in. Sortof as a bribe to keep fighting for her. With this minigame thing in the air, I can choose not to try very hard, but it still won't really feel like triggering a cutscene. If we made it to the whole of what she had to say, she can fall to her doom, and there will still be a feeling of accomplishment, mired with really bad aftertaste though it may be.

I wrote far more than I really meant to. It is all kinda redundant anyway.

What I want to know is, does the G-Man make any of his patented 'Where's G-Man?' appearances in the game? I certainly haven't spotted him yet, apart from the cutscene at the beginning of course, and his briefcase at the entrance to the train station.

I haven't seen any more of the G-Man, but I have seen

that crazy, fat, psychic (?) alien

in at least one other monitor after

you free it early in the citadel and you run away while it telepathically gives you bad vibes.

I have a feeling that it will be important later.

I haven't seen any more of the G-Man, but I have seen

that crazy, fat, psychic (?) alien

in at least one other monitor after

you free it early in the citadel and you run away while it telepathically gives you bad vibes.

I have a feeling that it will be important later.

That's an Advisor, an actual Combine entity. They have psychic powers and focus entirely on the mental aspect of thing. Thus, their bodies are fat and bloated and kept alive by technology, like your average stereotype gamer!

As for the G-Man not showing up; he's sort of tied up by the Vortigaunts at the moment, isn't he?

I wrote far more than I really meant to. It is all kinda redundant anyway.

Not at all. I totally agree with you. In a non-interactive medium like a movie or even real life, Gordon would be desperately, dramatically trying to reach for Alyx. We can't do that. Which really would pull you from the whole gaming environment and would make me feel a little resentful towards the game, not being able to do something.

I'm taking my time with this, also I suck, so that might explain why Alyx actually did die on me. I thought she was invincible, but no, enough zombies, grenades, and accidental shotgun shells to the back of the head, and you get a 'Alyx Died' message.

Also, one time she was round the corner behind me, and I heard a headcrab attack her, and she went 'aargh', so I rushed back and said to my monitor 'you alright, babe?', and guess what? She said 'yeah'. And my microphone wasn't even switched on. I reckon that pretty much rules.

I'm taking my time with this, also I suck, so that might explain why Alyx actually did die on me. I thought she was invincible, but no, enough zombies, grenades, and accidental shotgun shells to the back of the head, and you get a 'Alyx Died' message.

Also, one time she was round the corner behind me, and I heard a headcrab attack her, and she went 'aargh', so I rushed back and said to my monitor 'you alright, babe?', and guess what? She said 'yeah'. And my microphone wasn't even switched on. I reckon that pretty much rules.

I think we're all going insane.

Well, because the Episode got me all fired up again, I'm replaying HL2 now. Fucking Ravenholm. Always scares the piss out of me. I got through Doom 3 and many other "scary" without getting too creeped out, and really not many games scare me. Except for Ravenholm. How the hell do they make it so creepy? Damn black headcrabs. Ugh.

I think we discussed it before, but I like the subject so I'm going back to backstory discussion.

I also prefer the Combine Influence in Xen theory. I just assume to differences between their presence there is that the structures were built by alien slaves with alien technology from alien materials, compared to the human slaves and materials on Earth. It suits the "absorb and adapt" doctrine they seem to represent.

Damn all these spoilers I can't read yet!

For anyone who doesn't have it yet, you can get it for...

$7.99 brand new at Circuit City! Chances are they won't have it, but take the ad over to Best Buy and price match it, that's what I did.