Sign in to follow this  
Moosferatu

Oblivion

You can get the Collector's Edition from Play.com for 43€, though.

If I didn't have to wait for it to be delivered, I would, but I really don't feel like holding off playing for half a week.

Ah it is mine now. I got the standard version, though I got the t-shirt for some reason. Which, simply by virtue of being an Oblivion t-shirt, is the nerdiest piece of clothing I own.

Also, thanks to whoever posted that draw distance fix! Trying it now, hope it works.

I have not even looked at the extras disk in my Collectors Edition. I did fondle the coin and cackle a bit though.

I've got Oblivion too, the CE. It didn't come with a t-shirt, though I did experience a bit of coin-cackling.

The draw distance isn't a problem for me. In fact, in order to run it smoothly I've put on a nice little bit of fog in the distance. And you know what? Immediately it's more atmospheric for me. Without the fog I was looking at fugly plastic hills with a sparse plastic tree put hither and tither. No thank you, I'll take the fog! (I wish I could put on the bloom and other dynamics though. Ah well, I'm glad enough that I can play at all in an acceptable framerate.)

Well, I got the CE. Haven't really started playing yet, as I just got home. Put in a pre-order for Animal Crossing, so I'll be getting my t-shirt from that. :buyme:

Being a thief is a blast, though it doesn't always pay quite as well as I'd like. Last night I broke into someones house hoping for a fat score. They had a "hard" lock, so I figured they were a decent choice. After I got inside I discovered they had a dog. So, I coated one of my arrows with poison just to make sure the dog would go down in one shot. The poor dog didn't even know what hit him. I think the poison might have been a bit of overkill considering the x3 multiplier I currently have. I proceeded to loot the place. What a let down. You'd think that after a "hard" locked door, a dog, and three or four "hard" locked chests that I'd walk away with some pretty nice stuff. Nothing. For some reason this guy likes to keep his crap locked away in highly secure chests. :fart: So, I robed a store instead. Better loot, but not as much fun.

I'm having a blast too, playing as a thief; a female Redguard born under the Shadow. I haven't really gotten into robbing peoples homes yet, just petty theft when they look the other way. It's nice to visit some little town in the middle of the night and make off with a horse, without anyone noticing, then just riding around taking in the views. For some reason my thief also needs to pick every single flower and mushrooms I come across. I guess I'll be doing a lot of alchemy later on.

I created another character too, a male Imperial warrior, but I didn't get too far as I died after not having saved for way too long. I don't feel like replaying that character again for a while, as long as my thief keeps me entertained.

The only thing I dislike about the game is how poorly it seems to run for me. I've got a P4 3,4 GHz with HT, X800 (which also leads to the question as to why I can't use HDR, when Bethesda said it would work for PS2.0 cards) and a gig and a half of RAM. I keep fiddling with the settings, but it doesn't really seem to help. I get a constant 15-20 fps, even going from 1024x768 with no AA to 1600x1200 with 6xAA. Altering shadow settings and so on doesn't vary the framerate much either and I'm not about to turn down the texture detail. It feels a bit choppy when I go over the crests of hills and that sort of thing, when it has to load a lot, but otherwise it's perfectly playable and in most cases very fluid.

I've added some tweaks for HT to work better but that didn't help very much either. If someone has any tips I'd like to hear them, both about framerates and also adding HDR through some hack (which I hope will become available).

Moos, I've found that, in most cases, even hard locks don't yield much. Hard seems like the basic type everyone has in their homes, so getting through them won't be very difficult later on. Very hard hasn't been very fruitful for me either.

I like the changes to the "thievery" system since Morrowind. In Morrowind I just snatched up whatever was laying around at the time and that took a lot of immersion away. I think it's great how being a thief is harder, like how shopkeepers follow you around to make sure you don't snatch anything, when in Morrowind you just went the basement or the second floor and looted everything.

I feel like I could write a lot more about what I've done and what I think about it, but I doubt many would feel like going through a 3000 word post.

Yeah, I haven't robbed that many houses yet either. I'm currently focusing on finishing all of the thieves guild quests so I have access to all of the fences. Anyone have any good recommendations on places to rob?

:yawn: ¬¬

Does that mean you don't like the game or you don't like long posts?

About the Gray Fox/Imperial City (these are early spoilers, btw, like the first 4/5 hours)...

Is it ever possible to turn this guy in? I've found him, I know who he is, but all I can do with him is start the thieves guild quests. Considering what a big deal the game makes about him, it would suck a little bit if I can't get him arrested.

edit:

ok, I realise now I might not actually know who the grey fox is. Does anyone know if you join the Imperial Watch at some point? I guess it would make sense to have 'catch the grey fox' be the last watch quest.

My X800XL doesn't support HDR either. I was told that that line lacks a vital HDR ability (something to do with floating point numbers).

I've been reading some reviews and various message boards and it sounds like a sweet game, I'm thinking of asking for it for my B-Day, which is just over a month away.

Just make sure you have the computer to run it (if you don't have a 360).

Has anyone else found the side quest involving a strange painting and finding its artist? Oh man, best quest ever.

For the first, like, five minutes, then there's those trolls. :tdown:

Does that mean you don't like the game or you don't like long posts?

I think he has a similar view to PA.

Clickx0r.

damn vampires. I was hoping to finish my last two thieves guild quests tonight, but instead I had to run around collecting crap for some old hag so I could be free of my affliction. :fart:

Has anyone else found the side quest involving a strange painting and finding its artist? Oh man, best quest ever.

I need help with that one!

I've found the painting stuff in that mage's room and the weird painting in the tower. What do I do now?

I need help with that one!

I think you're talking about different quests -- are you doing the one in the palace in Chorrol where you're finding the missing painting? If so:

There's another clue in the dining room.