Sign in to follow this  
Moosferatu

Oblivion

guys can any1 give me or help to search a cracked rohan bot hack rohan ... i don't want to pay for this bot's company ... thnx :tup::deranged:

guys can any1 give me or help to search a cracked rohan bot hack rohan ... i don't want to pay for this bot's company ... thnx :tup::deranged:

Please rephrase the question.

Yes.

Can anyone help me find a cracked version of the Rohan character because I don't want to pay for him?

That's what it said to me, but I've absolutely no idea what the hell they're talking about.

why would you want a cracked item? they are both useless and worthless. unless you need it for some quest.

besides... oblivion doesn't have multiplayer... how can you exchange items!?

Let me guess: the whole rohan, right?

This topic is fucking dangerous right now. It reminds me I still have to pick up my Oblivion character again, who has lain dormant for months now.

But there's too much to do!

Damn thing never really got to me. Still finding the universe to be impenetrable and lacking in direction (not touching that terrible main storyline... it's pants!).

Oh yeah, I still think the Elder Scrolls universe is pants; derivative fantasy at its worst (OK, Harry Potter is derivative fantasy at its worst, but this is a close second).

That didn't stop me enjoying the game a great deal after I got embroiled in a few guild quests!

Morrowind was a pretty well-established, novel setting though; rife with cultural depth and little touches. Managed to sweep me away wholly. Oblivion proffers nothing more than clichéd fantasy pap though. Still fun, but not at all as engaging or exciting.

OK, Harry Potter is derivative fantasy at its worst

:eek:

Sorry. I know it sounds terrible, and I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but Harry Potter (I feel nauseous saying it) rocks. Truly. I was the most anti-HP person in the universe. It just looked like camp nonsense wank to me. But a bunch of people I respect told me how good it was and, not wanting to be the type of person who complains about things he doesn't know about, took the time to read them.

So, um, yeah, that JK Rowling is one talented writer (the first two books kind of suck, though -- and the first third of book five desperately needed an editor with balls -- as did the epilogue in book seven... but other than that...)

She has a very readable style. What I object to is that she has ripped off every single children's book about wizards that I read as a kid, as well as every single encyclopedia of mythical creatures. And then she gets praised for her imagination. For instance in one review of Hellboy II, the critic described the Troll Market as a reference to Diagon Alley, as if Rowling had invented that 600+ year-old concept.

Plus the whole thing is just a bit too insipid for me. I enjoyed His Dark Materials much more, and thought it had a lot more to say.

I don't think I've ever seen her praised for her creativity and it's certainly not one of the reasons I consider her to be an excellent writer. The way she knows how to tell a story, keep the reader guessing and perfectly capture the feelings and emotions of being 13, 14, 15, etc. -- plus her ability to continuously stay true to her characters... These are the things I respect.

I guess this is getting OT...

I wish I could say the same for His Dark Materials, but I don't feel as though the series has any heart (although I'm only two thirds of the way through book 1) - I just don't care the for the characters, no matter how well-constructed his universe is. *shugs* I guess we appreciate different things...

I picked up Oblivion: Game of the Year Edition over the weekend. This is my second Elder Scrolls game after playing the first five minutes of Daggerfall and dying repeatedly.

So far, Oblivion is OK! The environment is ridiculously overstuffed—I took one step out of the opening dungeon and walked right in front of an imp cave. But that's OK; as in the Fallout games it's fun just to walk around.

Stealth works well (so far), but I hate the combat. I repeatedly tap the fireball button and run backward for most fights. Though it was fun to use a bow and later pull arrows from a dead wolf.

I'm really disappointed by how many fetch quests I've been given. I like the endless dialogue boxes and weird options of the Fallout series. In Oblivion, each quest is exactly what it seems to be starting out.

What has me concerned is an Action Button review that suggests that Skyrim has retained (and amplified?) the things I don't like about Oblivion.

Veles Svitlychny states flatly that combat is still terrible and the quests are still weak and meaningless.

I guess this is a discussion for the Skyrim thread, but is this true? If I am slightly underwhelmed by Oblivion, will I be further disappointed by the new game?

Anyway, I'll be back with my initial thoughts on Skyrim in 2018!

Err, yeah, come back at that time. The question is a little too vague to discuss meaningfully, in what way is the combat terrible? Combat has never been, and will probably never be, an Elder Scrolls game's strong suit, but that's not why you play it. Oblivion is a fun, classic fantasy romp. Skyrim brings a very detailed and cool Nordic/Viking environment to that and improves subtly and agressively on many things I thought Oblivion was rather weak at.

The quests are pretty cool, actually. Loads of them are fetch quests, but there are plenty that have fun backstories or epic ties to unique caverns and events.

Play Morrowind too, though. You skipped from Daggerfall to Oblivion, which is like skipping The Empire Strikes Back when watching Star Wars. It's the best one.

So far, Oblivion is OK! The environment is ridiculously overstuffed—I took one step out of the opening dungeon and walked right in front of an imp cave. But that's OK; as in the Fallout games it's fun just to walk around.

I think that's a big part of the appeal for these games. It's fun to step outside of a city and set out in a random direction, not knowing what you'll find.

Stealth works well (so far), but I hate the combat. I repeatedly tap the fireball button and run backward for most fights. Though it was fun to use a bow and later pull arrows from a dead wolf.

There are some really great stealth-focused quests in Oblivion, both the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood chains are pretty great, but Skyrim features some more fully realized stealth mechanics. (Some basic last-known-position search routines for the AI, for example. Instead of going instantly aggro on the player like in Morrowind and Oblivion.)

I'm really disappointed by how many fetch quests I've been given. I like the endless dialogue boxes and weird options of the Fallout series. In Oblivion, each quest is exactly what it seems to be starting out.

The same is true of Skyrim and Morrowind, the vast majority of the quests you are faced with are "This dungeon has this thing, go get me that thing." If you're not cool with the dungeon diving, it'll get old. (Though Oblivion, i would say, probably also has the most blatant cut and paste dungeons out of the modern TES games.)

That said, the daedric quests and some of the primary quest chains are usually the standouts for interesting stuff. In Oblivion, the Dark Brotherhood quest chain might be the best single quest chain in any TES game.

What has me concerned is an Action Button review that suggests that Skyrim has retained (and amplified?) the things I don't like about Oblivion.

Veles Svitlychny states flatly that combat is still terrible and the quests are still weak and meaningless.

Eh... It's very obviously an evolution of Oblivion, it is that game, but... you know... better. A lot of the individual pieces of Skyrim are actually fairly dramatically different, but on the whole, it's still definitely and recognizably a TES game.

The melee combat is one thing that does not really change at all between Oblivion and Skyrim. (A few things are different. Block/shield bashing is very useful, you can duel-wield weapons in Skyrim, and basic attacks don't drain stamina anymore.) It's still a numbers RPG, it's about the supplies and equipment you've given yourself and how you use those, less so any techniques for combat. So no, it hasn't changed, it's probably the thing about Skyrim that has changed the least.

As for the quests, as a judgement about Oblivon, i think it kind of comes down to what parts of Oblivion you end up seeing. As noted before, it actually has what are probably some of the best quests in the entire series, but also some really awful ones. (The main quest in Oblivon was terrible.)

I think Skyrim also does a better job of surfacing its best content to the player, it has a lot of really clever systems and quests in place to keep pointing people towards the more interesting stuff.

I guess this is a discussion for the Skyrim thread, but is this true? If I am slightly underwhelmed by Oblivion, will I be further disappointed by the new game?

I can't imagine so, even the biggest fans of TES can have fairly middling opinions on Oblivion, if not outright vitriol and hate. I think the individual pieces of Skyrim show a lot of the lessons they've learned over the years.

Skyrim is also still a huge and ambitious game, so it's filled with quirks and bugs. So, you know, managed expectations.

Personally, i always felt the biggest failing of Oblivion was that Cyrodiil as presented in Oblivion is just kind of a boring place, it's kind of the blandest place a TES game has been set in. I don't think the same is true with Skyrim, but that's a pretty personal and subjective judgement.

Edit: Also, it is probably worth checking out Morrowind for curiosity's sake, even if not for a long haul, because it's a fairly important piece of context for where the TES series sits at now. Daggerfall was built on a lot of ideas that remain recognizable in later games, but Morrowind was kind of where that series really coalesced.

You will probably also come to appreciate what Oblivion and Skyrim do with their combat, because it is so much worse in Morrowind. Heh.

Yeah, it's very overwhelming when you first step out into the sunlight in a TES game. I've been playing Morrowind; the strange alien vibe of the place did not help. But once you get into it, it's very addictive. I've been pouring at least three hours a day into it, which is insane, considering I usually need to shut down a game and go do something else by the first hour. It's why games take me so long to play.

(Oblivion is noticeably more generic, apparently; I wonder how playing that will feel after coming-off of Morrowind.)

(the first two books kind of suck, though -- and the first third of book five desperately needed an editor with balls -- as did the epilogue in book seven... but other than that...)

Such filthy lies. I agree about the epilogue of book seven. But the first five books were pure excellence. Books six and seven are not as fun and a bit too YA at times, but hey, look at me replying to a four year old post about a book I last read five years ago.

(Filthy lies.)

(Sorry.)

Haha, no worries. I haven't re-read them, so that's just my opinion on first reading. But I won't budge on the beginning of Book 5 -- or, come to think of it, the handling of the big event at the end of Book 6.

Still, perhaps I was too harsh on the first two books.

I don't know why I am getting into this, but the Harry Potter story sucks and the world may be derivative but it's a nice whimsical universe that doesn't take itself too seriously, even if the narrative of the books do.

All of which I find much more interesting then the majority of the Elder Scrolls fiction.

The merit of Elder Scrolls fiction as compared to Harry potter is a real, real weird direction for this thread to go in.

History of the Wolf Queen Vol II is clearly the citizen kane of TES books.

Elder Scrolls books are great. Not greatly written, but it's great they're there. They bring so much interesting stuff to the world, and some of them are really nice. The whole story of Barenziah is a nice fairytale fantasy.

Elder Scrolls books are great. Not greatly written, but it's great they're there. They bring so much interesting stuff to the world, and some of them are really nice. The whole story of Barenziah is a nice fairytale fantasy.

I was reading The Real Barenziah yesterday. It's poorly written, but made for a fun story. I did spot a Biography of Barenziah I might peek through.

It's interesting how some of those books add to the lore (which has been surprisingly rich), some add to the clarity to the storyline, and some are just pseudo-religious texts that make me laugh.

The Citizen Kane of Elder Scrolls books is The Lusty Argonian Maid, obviously.