adfegg

Knighthoods for three game designers

Michel Ancel, Frederick Raynal and Shigeru Miyamoto are receiving Knighthoods for contributions to the arts and literature. Way to go!

Heh, Jack Thompson's going to have a fit! I can't wait!

Could we please not bring up Jack Thompson in conversation anymore? I know it's nice to bash him and all, but it's really just getting annoying as he's being associated with every single aspect of gaming. I call for a forumwide ignoring of the man and his every action.

That said; yay for France!

Agreed. I'd rather pretend he doesn't exist. Whenever I see a picture of him, I pretend it's actually Jake.

I call for a forum word censorship. All instances of "Jack Thompson" from now on should be replaced with "The Queen".

I call for a forum word censorship. All instances of "Jack Thompson" from now on should be replaced with "The Queen".

Um... I don't know that that's such a good idea... if only because it makes statements like "Jack Thompson is such an assclown." much stranger.

:blink:

WTF?!?? What about Tim Schafer ;( ;( ;(

Tim Shafer is not French.

Then again, niether is Shigeru Miyamoto.

Tim Shafer is not French.

Then again, niether is Shigeru Miyamoto.

But he is not American, doesn't America hate France?:erm:

You know, the Freedom Fries thing?

Maybe the French were offended that there were Napolean jokes in Psychonauts, apparently no French people have emailed Tim Schafer pictures of themselves.

It is actually not "knighthood" since all noblety titles were abolished in the 70's. So you won't have to call them any names.

What medal do they receive ?

It may be the "Légion d'Honneur" award, at the first rank : knight (chevalier).

Initially a military award created by Napoleon (I got an ancestor who received it from the Emperor himself), it is now given away to anyone who kind of accomplish something : singers, actors, etc...

It is still considered the highest award in the army, but has lost a lot of its meaning and of its prestige since it became so common. As many awards, it has never been restricted to French people ; for instance, General Patton earned it.

Well, if Miyamoto receives that and knows a bit about it nowadays, thinking it's not really an honour he should : :miyamoto:

That, or they could also receive "La médaille de l'ordre des Arts et des Lettres". It would seem much more appropriate.

Maybe the French were offended that there were Napolean jokes in Psychonauts, apparently no French people have emailed Tim Schafer pictures of themselves.

OOh, is there ? I have to check this out:owned:

Oh, Erik beat me to pointing out that it's not a knighthood. You need a monarchy and stuff for that kind of thing. Yes indeedy, if you want to be Sir or Dame then best move to UK (although you'll probably just get an MBE, all the actual Knighthoods seem to be reserved for old rock stars and occasional hollywood actors. People who have haven't achieved much except for their own fame. woops poliitcs, sorry).

If only you knew what kind of unremarkable people received the Legion d'Honneur in the last few years...

Ok, it's "La médaille de l'ordre des Arts et des Lettres" they're being granted.

I can't make it there, but I know someone who will be at the ceremony and at least take a few pictures.

It's unlikely that we're going to have a report on this at the evening news, so I count on him to know about how it went, the speeches and all...:)

Tim Schafer is Jewish.

Sorry, that was a lie.

I wish he was SIR Tim Schafer :(

So anyway, now we'll get a state sponsored LBA 3, right? God dammit, the world needs another LBA game. It's been, what, nine years?

1142350554.jpg

The man standing next to Ancel (Frederick Rayna, apparently) is either from the 70's or... well, France, I guess.

What an utterly silly looking bunch.

The man standing next to Ancel (Frederick Rayna, apparently) is either from the 70's or... well, France, I guess.

What an utterly silly looking bunch.

Actually, I think he did an extra effort to look like Edward Carnby from AITD1.

Way to go Raynal! Your cosplay is the best.

Actually, I think he did an extra effort to look like Edward Carnby from AITD1.

Doesn't look like it: http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/alone-in-the-dark/screenshots/gameShotId,14861/

Ancel on the other hand looks like he just escaped from a mental institution. And the frensh minister looks like he forgot to go to the toilet.

Shigsy looks like he's a little boy. I love it, he seems so genuinely having fun with his life.