DanJW

Boycott Star Wars III

Well I agree with Chris totally.

If any advancement would have been made I would have expected the swordfights to move more into Kendo where a fight would actually be decided by one decisive blow. Watching the oldest and highest ranking Kendo master in a fight is a sublime experience that is probably beyond the "common denominator".

But then I guess we will just have to live with the FACT that George Lucas chose to make a movie for kids totally alienating the audience he created with the great original trilogy.

Don't be raining on my wu-xia though. :I

I have nothing against that sort of movie but it just seems very out of place in Star Wars.

So we see some more wannabe-sound-of-music love scenes where poor, poor Natalie Portman yet again has to fight against lines and dialog that is absolutely horrible. I pity her, she must curse the day she signed on Star Wars. Not your fault Natalie, we know the truth."

I can't stop laughing at this. It's just so true. :hah:

I watched Empire Strikes Back on TV the other day and I realised that there was no fucking point in making the prequel trilogy AT ALL. What the fuck did the first three movies gain from three more? Plot inconsistencies and nothing else. Did it really tell us anything we didn't know or could infer from the original trilogy? Everybody already knew what happened in the prequels. They were basically a flashy re-enactment. And now Lucas completely fucked all the movies with the new DVD editions of the old trilogy, putting shit in there that you can't actually understand UNLESS you've seen the prequels. And if you watch the prequel trilogy first, without having seen the originals, when you DO get around to the originals, how much effect are all the plot twists going to have now that you know what they all are?

Argh this makes me angry.

wow, yeah I didn't even think about people who would see all the movies for the first time in order (1-6)... good point... that sucks!

I had already kind of decided that my future children would see the original thing first. Then wait a year or twenty, and THEN they'd be exposed to the new'ns.

wow, yeah I didn't even think about people who would see all the movies for the first time in order (1-6)... good point... that sucks!

"Luke... I am your father."

"No!"

Kids: "Well, duh."

You've got to hand it to George, the way he singlehandedly annulled the best moment in sci-fi history which he himself created.

Well, replacing it with your hero suddenly snapping for no good reason, turning evil, and killing lots of children is pretty good too. Lucas seems like he really wants kids to remember his shit.

I have nothing against that sort of movie but it just seems very out of place in Star Wars.

There are some pretty could "weird" duels in a couple of films that I thought would have been better to be stolen by Star Wars they didn't need to go so crazy with the Matrix-esque wire-fu stuff in order to rip-off the wu-xia genre.

On the other hand, I suppose we should count ourselves lucky there was no Bullet-Time... I mean Force-Speed... scenes.

You've got to hand it to George, the way he singlehandedly annulled the best moment in sci-fi history which he himself created.

Perhaps it is some kind of mystical practice? The Sacred Art of Self-Negation and Destroying The Fond Childhood Memories of A Million Nerds?

George Lucas' scriptwriting is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural...

It's the pathway to the Dark Side. You see, absolutely everything is a surefire pathway to the Dark Side apparently. Even, according to Episode III, being attached to the people you love leads to the Dark Side, because attachment leads to jealousy, which is envy, which is the stepbrother of hate and anger or some shit. And that's the Dark Side. Apparently Jedi are supposed to be entirely selfless but not actually care for anybody at all. Maybe they should just lock themselves in a box and instruct somebody to make monthly donations to randomly selected charities on their behalf, so there's no way they could know who they are helping (they don't want to get attached after all!).

anybody read the timothy zahn books?

now those I thought were quite excellent.

also because in those the clones were actually cloned jedimasters and the whole sith thing didn't come into play because...um... Lucas invented them for the new movies... because it's way cooler to call them the Sith... instead of just dark jedis...

On another note I wonder if this friend of mine is still a Jedi or if, disillusioned, he turned his back on his religious beliefs... way to go George...

Yeah, Zahn's trilogy from the 90's is excellent.

I've always considered them to be the episodes 7-9, they are that good.

Why don't the people living in the Star Wars world all just commit suicide? What do they have to live for? What do they do every day? I mean really, what do they have to live for? All they ever do is stand around looking futuristic. It also rains war.

What I wanted was a kickass female Jedi so that I could dress up like her and make woooshing sounds with my Mom's broom handle. Instead, there is Padme. She's not very kickass. She stands around crying and being in love and having babies. And then she dies of a broken heart. OH, SPOILER WARNING.

Fuck you :hmph:

And fuck you all, by the way. I still have to see the movie, but my anticipation level is, thanks to the bunch of you whiners, currently 0.00000001 percent. :blink:

--Erwin

Then it'll be slightly less disappointing for you.

Then it'll be slightly less disappointing for you.

Damn, you beat me to it.

What I wanted was a kickass female Jedi so that I could dress up like her and make woooshing sounds with my Mom's broom handle.

There are several of those in the SW extended universe. :mock:

There are female jedi in the movie. The blue twilek that gets killed by the clone troopers, I believe.

I felt that she really added something to the movie for me, yes.

There are female jedi in the movie. The blue twilek that gets killed by the clone troopers, I believe.

Man that to me was really exemplary of the power of the Jedi. A bunch of goofballs who are too incompetent to avoid being shot in the back by some clones.