Intrepid Homoludens

PCI-Express vs. AGP?

PCI Express is the new standard, and if you were to put it in a list with the others it would be better than AGP and far faster than regular PCI. I think alot of modern cards use it.

So it's actually a little better than AGP?

PCI Express is faster than AGP and it's the newer technology. Just like now, PCI graphics cards are pretty much obsolete, in a few years, AGP will be most probably obsolete. And then it will be a pain in the ass to upgrade your graphics card, because you'll need a new motherboard. Get the PCI Express :)

There are varying viewpoints. Many hardware reviewers suggest sticking with AGP, mainly because AMD's Athlon64 chips do not support PCI-express. When I got my computer I definitely knew I wanted an Athlon64 over a Pentium, so the tradeoff was more than worth it for me. As it stands, PCI-express is the more advanced standard but current graphics cards, even the most expensive ones, are not capable of taking advantage of the difference between PCI-e and AGP.

all I can say i love my setup with a PCI-Express :P but my love would probably be similar with AGP

(GeForce 6600 GT is the best!)

However note that the current PCI-Express slots are not the 'finalized' versions, i think they're still updating them and thus the "take PCI-E so you can upgrade to a better vid card in the future without switching motherboard because you have AGP" doesn't necessarily help anyway because the card might get limited (on speed or performance) because its an old version of an PCI-E slot by then anyway...

this is a theory however :P

oh and the 'advantage' of pci-express is that you can place more than one videocard into your system. The so-called SLI setup. It costs a fortune and isn't really worth it (yet?) but that is one of the advantages of PCI-express

I'd also choose Athlon64 over Intel, so I'd probably get an AGP card as well. Now all I need to do is save more money :)

Of course what you REALLY want is an Athlon FX-55! :D

I just took a look. Only one place sells it here and it costs 1125$...

Go to the Control Panel->System->Hardware->(What ever is the enlgish name of the tab that allows you to see the devices plugged in your PC)Device Administrator?

Look for Sytem Devices (?), it should have a list of what the motherboard like the slots...

I hope this helps.... :erm:

:grin: Guys, another tech question. How do I find out if a motherboard has an AGP slot without opening the CPU up? What do I type in?

Thanks in advance.

Or in Windows XP, right click on My Computer and select "Manage", then "Device Manager" (get's you to the same view as Tanukitsune's directions).

But you should also choose View -> Devices By Connection from the menu, otherwise it doesn't show things like buses and other stuff.

In my case "ACPI Uniprocessor PC -> Microsoft ACPI Compliant System -> PCI Bus" has lots of devices where I can see that there are PCI-Express slots. Should be the same for AGP. As I remember there should be something like "PCI to AGP bridge"

.. Hmm most motherboards today have AGP. Have you considered opening the box to look inside? AGP-slots is often placed at the top of the row of pci-slots (on a midi-tower anyways). It looks sort of PCI, but it is alligned a little bit different compared to the pci-ports, it is a bit smaller and often it has another colour - where pci is grey agp is brown-ish. At least at the two last rigs I had....

I was hoping I didn't have to open it up. It belongs to my mate, he wouldn't mind if I used it for serious gaming, as my outdated Athlon can no longer handle titles like Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 (I should be able to afford a new system in a few months).

CAn you post a screenshot of the device manager? maybe we can spot what kind of slots his PC has from that.