Sign in to follow this  
Fum

If graphics could induce orgasms....

Does anyone else get a wierd tesselation feel when they look at those oblivion forest screens? It seems like if you looked long enough a 3d image would pop out...

Yeah I was aware of the fact that there are procedures for trees, but I meant a whole forest being built on a predefined landscape... simulating the way a real forest "works"

I think you really need to have some kind of program to create woods for you. I imagine that is one heck of a lot of work to do stuff like this by hand. It should be possible to write stuff like that, right?

right!

procedural everything!

death to artists!

wooooooot!

Yeah I was aware of the fact that there are procedures for trees, but I meant a whole forest being built on a predefined landscape... simulating the way a real forest "works"

this is the real point. it's not about how it looks, it's about how it _works_.

So, to those who were at GDC this year, did Wright's lecture seem to actually make a difference? I mean, were there lots of people afterwards saying 'yeah we'll give this procedural thing a go now.' or 'we'll get right on it, Mr. Wright.' or some such?

I sure hope so.

right!

procedural everything!

death to artists!

wooooooot!

Because artists aren't at all involved in the process! :shifty:

for the record, my sarcasm detector is broken

You might wanna try courtship first, Fum. I heard that trees weaken when you present them beribboned gifts of fertilizer.

Just don't cast Flame Dart at it.

Thing is, what EXACTLY are they afraid of? :erm:

At this point, I honestly think they just really don't want to buy a better computer, and are furiously trying to rationalise it.

Because it's far less embarassing (well, to a point) to say oh, 3D will never be as good as prerendered 2D than saying to play Dreamfall I'm going to have to get a new graphics card, and I don't feel I should have to.

I think some adventure gamers have gotten comfortable with the fact that adventures are pretty conservative when it comes to hardware requirements. Moment of Silence or Syberia or Still Life you could probably run on a computer that's almost five years old. I think this comes back to that "adventure gamers are smarter than other gamers" elitism, where full screen anti aliasing, physics, AI, GeForce 90000 and stuff like that are associated with hardware-pushing games like Doom and Half-Life which are, as we know, games for stupid people. And none of that has any place in an adventure game, thank you very much. The only system requirement that I need is my BRAIN! Not your fancy graphics cards! Okay this is getting a little schizophrenic, so let's move carefully away from that.

I mean, I get indignance from the adventure gamers crowd sometimes. HOW DARE YOU SUGGEST I BUY A GAMEPAD, I USE A MOUSE AND KEYBOARD. THIS GAMEPAD SUGGESTION IS LAUGHABLE, that sort of thing. Fuck, I'm doing it again.

Oh, for an example, wasn't there that guy you were arguing with like six months ago who was pissed because he couldn't play new adventure games and was adamant that adventures should still be made for his Celeron 200 or something? And that it was an actual, binary style vs. substance situation?

:oldman: If you want more variety go to your nearest forest conveniently located outside your front door.
*walks out to the porch*

*takes a picture*

*uploads it*

post-10-13375602835963_thumb.jpg

It is supposed to imbibe my weak frame with a feeling of profound security.

Oh, for an example, wasn't there that guy you were arguing with like six months ago who was pissed because he couldn't play new adventure games and was adamant that adventures should still be made for his Celeron 200 or something? And that it was an actual, binary style vs. substance situation?

Yeah. Though I certainly never meant to, I think I may have pissed him off enough that he stopped coming around. He was.....rationalizing, as you put it. He said that he only plays games as a break from his self-owned and run business so he uses his 'Celeron 200 or something' mostly for work, and he was bitching because he couldn't get more modern games to run on them, thus all games should be 'Celeron 200 or something-friendly'.

Luddites are people too!! :oldman:

< accidentally runs cursor over old man smiley > You bastards, so mean!! :hah:

...holy shit, I never noticed that.

Oh man.

Luddites are people too!! :oldman:

Yes, it is mean, and he's a friend of mine, and believe me, he's very opinionated, but he's no Luddite. And he's not an old codger with a cane, he's only 43, lots younger than me! Okay, Okay, so I'm an old lady, but he's not an old guy! :blink::yep:

FGM

ooohhh....ahhh....

Sure, the unreal engine can show pretty graphics, but how many of us has at least a nvidia 6800GT card to sort of display them? :oldman:

Yes, it is mean, and he's a friend of mine, and believe me, he's very opinionated, but he's no Luddite. And he's not an old codger with a cane, he's only 43, lots younger than me! Okay, Okay, so I'm an old lady, but he's not an old guy! :blink::yep:

He's not much older than I, either. But then I never grew up, what's the point? 11baby.gif

I think you really need to have some kind of program to create woods for you. I imagine that is one heck of a lot of work to do stuff like this by hand. It should be possible to write stuff like that, right?

the guys working on oblivion use such kind of a random-generator for the game world and reengineer parts of it by hand later on. i saw this in a development video of oblivion.

He's not much older than I, either. But then I never grew up, what's the point? 11baby.gif

Bring out the bibs! After all, this is bib country.

Nice, where did you find it?

i dunno if it's available online. i got it from the dvd of the german gamestar magazine. the reporters visited the guys working on oblivion and made several interviews. wait a moment, i'll post some pics later on.