Sign in to follow this  
ThunderPeel2001

Games everyone hates (but are really great!)

Let me start the ball rolling, although this one is a little harder :(

Games that everyone hates but that I enjoy for some odd reason...

Z2: Steel Soldiers, JFK Reloaded

Lots of 16-bit ones (see sig).

People don't hate it, but I've always found The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask to be underrated. Man, that game is awesome.

Some people (especially hardcore gamers) seem ashamed to say that they like Crash Bandicoot, but 1 - 3, and Crash Team Racing, were actually really fun games and great to play when you have friends around, or need a little time to burn.

Pokemon, again, same story. People didn't like to say (especially AFTER the pokemon craze) they liked the game, because they associate it with the lame show and all the shitty merchandise. But the gameboy game was actually pretty good. It was a great boredom buster... my only complaint was that it was bullshitty fighting against other people because if their pokemon was a level above yours, they'd win pretty much no matter what. And if both were on the same level, it was down to luck. But most games suffered from that back then. But still a fun game.

And Mary Kay's Riding Centre is thee best game ever. Run, Star, Run! Jump, Star! We have to save those Ponies from the Meatman!

Yufster: I'm with you on Pokemon. That was actually a lot of fun.

The only game I'm thinking of for this thread is Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption. I loved that game.

lots of people seemed to hate Black and White but i thought it was fantastic. I don't deny that the game was ultimately flawed, but even with those flaws, i think it is one of the greatest games ever.

SiN

Yufster: I'm with you on Pokemon. That was actually a lot of fun.

The only game I'm thinking of for this thread is Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption. I loved that game.

Vampire wasn't bad, the only major problem with it was that the coding allowed for you to miss alot while the baddies didn't. This made it a pain in the ass at times. Over all I liked it, but that one bug annoyed me.

also,

The Dig.

totally agree! i thought it was a good game. it told a decent story, and the game had amazing atmosphere. the puzzles were a bit crap, but the game was good anyway.

SiN

Also, I don't know how many people here like/dislike Shenmue, but it's a major, unrecognized classic.

Hell yeah.

Shenmue 2 is significantly better than the original, but both are classics IMHO.

I haven't played the original, but I did like Shenmue 2 a lot... It's far from perfect though; most notably the voice acting is shit (yes, I have the english xbox version).

I don't think people hate it, but I don't know how many people even know it exists either, but Outcast is just about my favorite game ever. But it's a voxel based engine and the max res. is maybe 800x600 and it doesn't size to the screen, it just makes a small picture bordered by black. Which is kinda weird because I don't remember it doing that when I first played it.

Outcast was unfortunately not a hit (it deserved to be one!), but I don't think that anyone who played it hated it. In fact I think most people loved it for its uniqueness.

Outcast was unfortunately not a hit (it deserved to be one!), but I don't think that anyone who played it hated it. In fact I think most people loved it for its uniqueness.

It was reviewed well. It wasn't quite celebrated by most places (there are exceptions, of course).

Hell yeah.

Shenmue 2 is significantly better than the original, but both are classics IMHO.

Wow. I thought Shenmue 2 was a longwinded and often absurd tangent. Have you forgotten the padded-out running sections (in the apartments and in the woods at the end), the storyline that went no where, the constant repetition of lifeless drab streets?

Shenmue 1 and 2 were both pretty poor games, but the first one at least had a small, detailed town that the player became connected with. The characters were interconnected and the game had a sense of continuity within its universe. Shenmue 2 was just a discombobulated mess. It utilized the fighting system better, but in the end was a much worse game.

And what was with the tree?

I thought Mario Sunshine was way better than Mario 64 in almost every way... does that count? I really can't think of that many generally-considered-bad games that I really liked and sank my life into.

I didn't really like Mario64 much but I did like Mario Sunshine quite a bit. So I guess that sentence would qualify for both threads :)

Me too! And I think I know why. Besides for the improved camera and controls, the water pack added the ability for correctional movement in the air. In mario 64, you jump wrong, you're fucked. But in the older marios you were given alot of (implausible) mobility in the air. The water pack reintroduces this into the formula and makes for a more enjoyable game.

I always thought Invisible War was much better than it was given credit for. I mean, not better than the first one, but still really good.

Yup yup, StarLancer was pretty neat.

I think too many fans of Chris Roberts compared it to Wing Commander. And nothing beats Wing Commander, so that's why it got a bit underrated.

--Erwin

JFK Reloaded
:yep: It's as fun as any physics simulation, really. There's quite a few weird possibilities in the game. I couldn't care less about the JFK theme, though.

Wow. I thought Shenmue 2 was a longwinded and often absurd tangent. Have you forgotten the padded-out running sections (in the apartments and in the woods at the end), the storyline that went no where, the constant repetition of lifeless drab streets?

Shenmue 1 and 2 were both pretty poor games, but the first one at least had a small, detailed town that the player became connected with. The characters were interconnected and the game had a sense of continuity within its universe. Shenmue 2 was just a discombobulated mess. It utilized the fighting system better, but in the end was a much worse game.

And what was with the tree?

I haven't forgotten its flaws, but I also remember the sheer beauty of the game. Plus the 45 minute sequence of just plain walking with Shen Fa. I'm not saying it was perfect...but it was an amazing experience.

Oh, and Mario Sunshine was a steaming pile of poo. Mario 64 is one of my favorite games of all time, so I really, really wanted to like Sunshine, but it was just clunky all around IMHO.