Sign in to follow this  
atte

[Full Release] Farewell, Video Games

https://atteo.itch.io/farewellvideo games

----------------

I started with fake NES games and Thumbs memes in Introduction to Video Games, and now 9 jams later I'll celebrate once more those precious things (this will be a one multi level game, not a mini game collection).

I started this a couple of days before the official start, putting the basic stuff in place. Even though the idea was to make a really simple and traditional action platformer, I pretty quickly veered off and ended up making this somewhat peculiar power up/collectible system: You can use the items as projectiles or try to collect three of the same for a health(fruits) or invincibility(treasure) boost.

Aaand there's a Horse Bag for bouncing on enemies/ double jumping/ floating on water!

fwvg.gif.3ddfa6a2048b3a679bac59a1a8e6be6a.gif

That looks fun! Love the interface. and the collect three mechanic is a really cool and unique idea!

Some early art stuff. Beginning of the game's first area (there's probably just two themes, city and then some temple/ruins later). And a collection of the evil wizard's various minions.

City1_1.thumb.png.1772fbf3670e1b3500368b2083f01973.pngcreatureComp.png.1624c0d576d6a99b4599ebcba3febcc4.png

What a cool idea for the collectibles, I haven't seen anything like it.

Thanks everyone!

On 16.1.2020 at 11:20 AM, sergiocornaga said:

This looks incredible, I love the bizarre mechanics you've come up with.

I clearly remember seeing you in my WJ1 devlog, makes me feel strangely nostalgic :lol:

I now have a clear(ish) plan of the whole thing I'd like to put together. Let's see how well I'm able to execute this stuff then. Here's an overview of all the areas.

fwtvg_overview.thumb.png.41da549c9a570cf98ec0c3587be78f6c.png

...Yes those are pretty on the nose Mega Man and Mario references :getmecoat

4 hours ago, atte said:

...Yes those are pretty on the nose Mega Man and Mario references :getmecoat

Among others...^_^

The screens and sprites are all looking great!

fwvgSkulls.gif.143c0bcc8be53ef712c7cd5641f1f750.gif

Skull rodeo!

So much stuff I want to add it's a bit overwhelming but the good thing is I can add/remove stuff pretty freely in this project because there is no strictly fixed level/area progression and the player abilites stay always the same.

On 18/01/2020 at 10:45 AM, atte said:

I clearly remember seeing you in my WJ1 devlog, makes me feel strangely nostalgic :lol:

Not only that, it seems Introduction To Video Games was the first Wizard Jam game I ever commented on (begging for a 'polished' version for some reason)! I will try to mirror this by making my last ever Wizard Jam forum post in this thread, too.

18 hours ago, sergiocornaga said:

...I will try to mirror this by making my last ever Wizard Jam forum post in this thread, too.

Very good.

Development has been going pretty well, don't know how long the jam deadline version will be but at least the showcase weekend version should have all the areas/enemies/hot memes I've been planning.

Here's some random gifs.

Because of the loose theme of magic and evil wizardry this looks like some kind of dishonored halloween game now.fwvg4.gif.e141db7667244a76bec60083e92111e0.gif

Updating the player graphics took some time, the black outlines tricked me making the character too thin. Eventually I just had to bravely embrace the thickness.

fwvg5.gif.5b6e3a70b51ce2751d6d7821dabbe216.gif

And here's a fun effect I came up for the title screen.

fwvgTitle.gif.3035754a2d8671a05ef4c5dd823c7050.gif

Some really cool effects, there!

First version here https://atteo.itch.io/farewellvideo games

I have a lot more already done but this is what I could slap together for the deadline. There is a lot of fun stuff already so check it out. The idea for the whole game was/is of course hilariously over ambitious but I just couldn't resist, it was the final Wizard Jam after all.

Worth the wait, it was a lot of fun :)

Brings back fond memories of 90s shareware dos platformers like keen and duke nukem, hocus pocus, and bio menace. 

Spoiler

Mr. Computer products. baboo grafitti, and the other small touches were really great, too :)

Yeah, reminds me a lot of Commander Keen - fun game! Really liked the PH... "attack".

Another fun game Atte! Is is supposed to end when I climb the ladder? I see content in this blog post I didn't encounter but not sure if it was intentional or not.

I just finished the complete version now a week later B)https://atteo.itch.io/farewellvideo games

Thank you for playing the jam deadline version, please check this out too as it has a lot of new stuff.  There's so much stuff and I'm not the most professional/careful coder/designer so there might be a crash or two hiding in there, or maybe, hopefully everything's fine.