Sign in to follow this  
Ben X

Marvel movies

Okay, Spider-Man: Far From Home.

I was on the fence for this one. I didn't really expect they could capture lightning in a bottle again, but they just effing did it. I loved the movie and it's been a while since I exited the theatre in a state of such utter excitement. In fact, the first Spider-Man film was probably the last time I did!

I have been waiting for Mysterio to get his moment in the spotlights for a while. He's an interesting villain, and one that is way more dangerous than he's usually given credit for. Read the Old Man Logan comic (brilliant in its own right) and you'll know what I mean. Having said that, the trailers seemed to put a hugely different spin on the character, and I suspected they might do some sleight of hand with this, but it seemed all too plausible this movie would head into multiverse stuff. Given that the recent Spider-Man animated film pulled this off with flair, and how the MCU-audience is pretty much primed for anything right now, it wasn't out of the question.

But I was secretly hoping Mysterio would turn out a big hoax, the failed magician of yore, trying to fool everyone. And, err, BOY DID THEY GO THERE. The big reveal scene in the second half was just so awesome and provided exactly the same thrill Michael Keaton's Vulture did when he opened the door to Parker's classmate in the first movie. Far from feeling obvious or repetitive, this was such a joyous moment to drink in. And staying true to the story too - a multiverse storyline with interdimensional beings isn't nearly as interesting as a two-bit conman trying to bamboozle the whole world, and the stakes, while bigger than before, are still largely about Peter's friends surviving and his struggle with growing up as a superhero.

So hotdamn. Surely, SURELY they won't be able to pull this off a third time, a few years from now? Spider-Man is already right up there with the Captain America trilogy as the best thing coming from the MCU and it might just supersede it.

I haven't seen that movie yet, but here's my guess, which MIGHT be a spoiler?

I watched the trailer about 6 months ago and I JUST THOUGHT LAST WEEK "Hey isn't Mysterio's whole gimmick that he's a special-effects artist with terrible working conditions?? Man it's a shame that in this movie he just shoots beams from his hands and flies around, that's not as good."

and it wasn't until yesterday that someone said to me "Well maybe he's doing special-effects, you don't know."

It hit me like a slap in the face. Of course. It's fucking Mysterio, OF COURSE HE"S FAKING IT!! THAT"S HIS WHOLE THING!! So I watched that old trailer again, and they are absolutely watching Mysterio through a TV screen.

I am so dumb, I got tricked by a cartoon villain.

I applaud you for it, sir, now go see this goddamn movie.

I watched Spider-Man Far From Home (the new one). I can agree that it's way fun! It's a fun movie to sit in, it has a similar vibe to the previous one. Some fun jokes!

I loved seeing Jake Gyllenhaal onscreen in this movie as well. Similar to casting Michael Keaton as The Vulture, he's an actor that's been around for 20 years. We've seen him get his ass kicked and be a weird killer in so many movies that it brings a well-traveled man-of-experience vibe to the performance when you put him next to Tom Holland as Spider-Man. That really added to it, and this move where all the adults in the Spider-Man universe are super contemporary actors, but the kids are total unknowns, works really well I think.

I basically liked all of it. So funny that they addressed the 5-year dusting head-on. So fun that Mysterio is a trickster. Jake Gyllenhaal looks great! Those hallucination scenes? Veeeery fun!

I think the writing was a little heavy-handed and corny in spots. Mysterio's reveal, Spider-Man's guilt and a couple jokes could've been more smartly written; but I recognize that many high-schoolers are watching this, I'm almost 30, so I don't mind that much.

Phew, was I glad that "The Elementals" were not a real thing! We were both leaning to each other saying "I HOPE this is a hoax!!" when he was laying out the multi-verse. Boy Nick Fury's gotta step down as commander here, cos he is getting fooled by everyone!

Yessss. And what I also like is that this is pretty friendly world so far. Both Vulture and Mysterio had a soft spot for Peter (adding to the Spider-Man Has Tons Of Dads line of writing), and I really liked that. They're not super evil menaces, Mysterio's heartbroken (in a nutso way) that he'll have to hurt that charming, goofy kid. Vulture positively wanted to adopt Peter!

Did you type spoiled instead of spoiler on purpose there, @Roderick?

Oops, super sorry about that! I wrote in a bit of a hurry and then didn't check. I'll be more careful next time!

I really liked the new spider man. 

especially the JJJ reveal at the end, which I had said I hoped to see but didn’t expect to, just before walking into the theater

I also enjoyed Far From Home.  I won't go into my usual rant of nitpicking a lot of the bits.  One thing I do like in both this and Homecoming is their version of MJ.  I like that she's a little strange and not the super hot most popular girl in the school she (and Gwen Stacey and Liz from Homecoming) have previously been portrayed as, but she's still an awkward teenager.

One thing I did like about Mysterio was that his costume was a straight up mocap suit.