Sign in to follow this  
Ben X

Marvel movies

5 hours ago, jennegatron said:

I don't think you need to have seen either of those movies follow Infinity war. Basically the only things of consequence are that Thor found the Hulk & lost an eye in Ragnarok. Black Panther is the leader of Wakanda, a secret African nation that has recently opened itself up to the outside world. If you liked Civil War, go see Infinity War imo

I think you can pick up the eye thing via context clues. The Hulk thing too. And the Black Panther stuff. I mean Thor has an eye patch in the movie, you don't exactly need to watch Thor Ragnarok to learn that it's covering up a missing eye!

I do think Ragnarok and Black Panther are the second and third best Marvel movies, though, and I like basically all these movies, so they're certainly worth seeing at some point.

Speaking of Thor's eyepatch,  that was a strange and slightly disappointing moment for me during the film. Why did he need a cyborg replacement eye?  The eyepatch looked cool and was symbolic of the wisdom he'd gained and responsibility he'd taken during Ragnarok. Rocket even had a weirdly ableist line about how he couldn't do this with only one eye. Why not?

The only reason I could think of that I'd be ok with is if it was just very uncomfortable for Chris Hemsworth to wear all the time. 

Pretty much all of Ragnarok got stabbed in the back by Infinity War. The whole 'we don't need Asgard, our home is where our people are' line of prophecy is cut short when Thanos outright destroys their ship and wipes out half the population. It makes sense from this movie's perspective, but the Thor films have this thing with prophecy and destiny, and that doesn't gel at all. (And where was Valkyrie?!)

I liked it a lot! Was expecting a mess, but found it surprisingly coherent and easy to follow. And it was so much fun. Very solid laughs throughout the film.

I'm someone who really enjoys almost all of these films so I guess I was always going to like this. But I thought they did a great job of spending just enough time on each pair-up that it never felt disorienting.

The only one that felt really underused was Captain America, although he reminded me of why I love him when he meets Groot. A+ exchange between the two.

I for one am super excited for Avengers 4 now.

Thoughts on where Avengers 4 is going, based on some set photos:

I hope the originals Avengers, especially Captain America, get much more to do and an actual arc in this one. Considering they're almost the only ones left now (and the fact that this could be the last movie for some of them) that's probably a sure bet. The set photos that have been going around suggest there'll be some time travel shenanigans, which tracks with *half* of the universe needing saving. I'm very, very excited to see Captain Marvel come save the day, but there's a lot of pressure on her solo film being a success. After shaggy, dark Captain America I'm very stoked to see him back in his regular outfit via whatever time travel/flashback device they're going for.

The eye patch and Hulk in Ragnarok I was well aware of because they're impossible to avoid if you've seen even a second of the marketing.  And I'm familiar enough with the character of Black Panther to know he's the ruler of Wakanda.  It's mainly that I'm one of those nerds that likes to get all the references and such which is why I'm reluctant to see Marvel Infinite Warfare before the rest.  I've generally enjoyed all the Marvel films though so I'll probably like it either way.

Apparently Hemsworth was complaining a lot about the patch in Ragnarok interviews, and they started CGing it on at some point.

Re Valkyrie, apparently you don't see the Taskmaster's ship at the start of IW, so that combined with the "Thanos killed half my people" line has led fans to assume she got away on that ship along with the Kiwi alien and the remaining Asgardians.

My god, if Korg returns with Valkyrie in Avengers 4 I'll be the happiest person ever.

The new Avengers film left me very angry. I was totally into it and managed to ignore some of the very obvious plot holes, because it is a super hero movie. But...

Spoiler

That ending felt utterly cynical.

When they killed off Loki and Heimdal it was the right level of death, it meant that I had the feeling that maybe, just maybe, some of these characters might actually die. Even Gamora, as cack-handed as it was in terms of exposition, felt like it continued to up the stakes and that every time Tony etc, got smashed into something there was a genuine doubt in my mind if they were going to get back up. It felt like the perfect pitch in terms of narrative tension. Maybe Iron Man wasn't going to get killed - but it meant that Vision or the Scarlet Witch might be in danger.

But then the 50% thing happened and undid everything. By upping the stakes that high it ended up feeling like none of it mattered. With one wave of the magic hand any and all of the characters can come back. I walked out of the film extremely pissed off because I had been enjoying it up until then.

Less is more Marvel, less is more.

I'm a little unsure how the author thought "Avengers" rhymed with "scavengers," given it's a real word, but whatever. I think her thoughts on the film pretty much line up with mine: the main way to enjoy it is by liking the characters, rather than getting all tied up with the plot or whatever's been going on for 18 movies and so on. I think people who are like "you gotta see all the movies beforehand to know what's going on" are looking to get something different out of the movie than me, and certainly something different out of the movie than what she got.

Disney bought 20th Century Fox. Bad news: homogenisation of all popular culture. Good news: X-Men and Fantastic Four in the MCU!

Anyway, I saw Ant-Man And The Wasp and enjoyed it. Some very inventive action sequences and comedy setpieces. However, the narrative does feel overstuffed and characterisation suffers as a result. Also, the loose improv feel of the comedy dialogue doesn't really work - a Shane Black style polish would have really helped, I think.

I probably prefer it to the first one overall...

Saw Into The Spider-Verse today and while it's more tenuously connected to the MCU than Homecoming, it's still i"n association with Marvel" so may as well put it in here.

It is, for my money, hands down the best Spider-Man film ever (bearing in mind I wasn't a huge fan of the Raimi ones). Effortlessly blends a variety of visual styles and riffs on the audience familiarity with Spidey's backstory while using all of the character's (characters') iconography to full effect. Funny, exciting, touching and intricate without being over-worked.

EDIT: oh, and Venom was laughably bad.

Venom was one of the big superhero movies I didn't see this year, and I'm not particularly miffed about it. Into the Spider-Verse is amazing, both as a Spider-Man film and an animated feature that'll appeal to adults as much as it will to kids.

The villains were a liiiiittle to cartoony for my tastes, in their designs. The rectangular Kingpin was cool enough, but I could've done without a monstrous version of the Green Goblin.

I recently watched Venom during a flight back from China and I think it's not terrible... IF you view it as a B-movie.  It's got all the trappings of one: nonsense plot, shallow villain, terrible acting (though Tom Hardy was pretty good), bad dialog, etc.  I'd put it on par with other cheesy sci-fi flicks but as a tent pole major motion picture yeah it's bad.

Relatedly, I also watched Deadpool 2 on the same flight.  I liked the first one and this was mostly more of the same but much less satisfying I think.