Jake

Twin Peaks Rewatch 52/53: The Return, Parts 17 and 18

So Dupar's —a great coffee shop in the Studio City nieghborhood of Los Angeles is closing next month. Dupar's is famous as one of Lynch's haunts (I saw him there once with Issabella Rossillin in the early 90s). It's also said to be a location where Lynch and Frost conjoured up the narrative for Twin Peaks. Dupar's is famous for thier pies and donuts. It was said they were the ones who supplied both during the original TV show's prodcution.

I recalled that Dupar's got a shout-out in the "Welcome To Twin Peaks" Access Guide that was published back in the day. Feeling sentimental and wanting to confirm my recollection, I pulled out my copy for the first time in forever. Sure enough the reference is there.

Guess what else is there? Page: 109, the "Proposed Prison Facility".

It reads: "A pet project of nobody really knows who, the proposed maximum security prison to be build on an unspecified sit (sic) is annually tabled, shelved or otherwise shot down by a majority of town council members. The firm DLMF Creations, architects for the project, has submitted five concepts but none have been accepted and paid for. Pictured here is the latest. Sheriff Truman remains on the fence about the whole thing but Ben Horne recognizes a business opportunity when he sees one. The fight of this may be almost as bloody as the Ghostwood Development Project"

Huh. Guess I'm going to have to read through that book again to see what other seeds of Season Three, The Return, Limited Series Event that also came to fruition!

Oh my gawd, I almost cried tears from laughter when I saw this closeup of the Brennan family portrait!

Those blu ray docs are really something. Hours and hours of David Lynch talking to cast and crew with no sense that they feel a need to mystify the creative process at all, at least not the actual shooting of it. It's fascinating and hilarious to watch the show come together.

Seeing David Lynch with his head in his hands, asking, "Can there be three detective brothers rather than two? I want to hire that big guy with that laugh," and going on to calling the character an idiot savant makes me laugh to no end.

On 12/20/2017 at 2:59 PM, ThatThomas said:

Those blu ray docs are really something. Hours and hours of David Lynch talking to cast and crew with no sense that they feel a need to mystify the creative process at all, at least not the actual shooting of it. It's fascinating and hilarious to watch the show come together.

Seeing David Lynch with his head in his hands, asking, "Can there be three detective brothers rather than two? I want to hire that big guy with that laugh," and going on to calling the character an idiot savant makes me laugh to no end.

This is great, because I heard a podcast with that actor a few months ago and he pretty much speculated that this was the process behind him getting hired (at least once he figured out it wasn't because he'd been to David Lynch's house to meditate before, which apparently Lynch had completely forgotten).

I found this video essay discussing intertextual references in The Return - an interesting 15 min watch.

The blu-ray isn't releasing until late-Feb here :) Has anybody got the Criterion edition of Fire Walk With Me? I've read that it's a great transfer and it's got a 2017 interview with Sheryl Lee. If I saw it for a good price, I'd pick it up. But it's tough to justify when I've already got the film in The Entire Mystery boxset.

Also, I saw this little nod in Steamworld Dig 2:

Definitely not! I watched it in a public place and had to stifle my laughter pretty hard! Excellent! XD