Jake

Twin Peaks Rewatch 52/53: The Return, Parts 17 and 18

Twin Peaks Rewatch 52:

Twin Peaks Rewatch 52

The Return, Part 17
It's time for the first half of the end. Twin Peaks' final curtain call aired as a two-part double-long event, and we ended up with so much to say about these final episodes, we followed suit and split our podcast into two parts as well. In this episode, almost every major plot thread we've seen this season culminates in an epic showdown at the Twin Peaks Sheriff's Department—a showdown that resolves itself so neatly it's unsettling, before everything starts to change, to slip, and fall apart.

Join us as we discuss Part 17 of Twin Peaks, The Return, and do our best to unpack our own reactions, what the events of the finale might mean, and what they mean to us.

If you have a question for us or thoughts to share on the new season of Twin Peaks, write us at [email protected].

Twin Peaks Rewatch 53:

Twin Peaks Rewatch 53

The Return, Part 18
Twin Peaks has ended, it was confusing, upsetting, and we have a lot of questions, but we loved it. Wait, what year is this? Join us for a discussion of the series finale of Twin Peaks, as we walk through Part 18 piece by piece, with many stops along the way to ruminate on everything that's come before, what it all means and feels like now that we're at the end.

Next week we'll be back with an episode full of reader mail and some final decompression of the season as a whole, but before we go: Thank you so much for sharing the last 16 weeks of Twin Peaks with us. It's been a one of a kind experience and we've loved spending the time with you.

If you have a question for us or thoughts to share on the new season of Twin Peaks, write us at [email protected].

I won't be able to watch until like eight hours after it comes out and am terrified of gettin' spoiled. I guess I have to just lock myself away from the internet.

It's been a real ride. This podcast and community has really increased my enjoyment of the show. I really hope we can reach a somewhat satisfying conclusion.

Glad that this episode hasn't been leaked anywhere yet.

Before tonight's episode I wanna give a big ol' thanks to Chris and Jake for making such a great show every week and to everyone else in the community for engaging in such fun, insightful, and oftentimes ridiculous conversation. I don't think I would have enjoyed this season nearly as much without y'all.

Now, let's do this thing.

27 minutes ago, UnpopularTrousers said:

Before tonight's episode I wanna give a big ol' thanks to Chris and Jake for making such a great show every week and to everyone else in the community for engaging in such fun, insightful, and oftentimes ridiculous conversation. I don't think I would have enjoyed this season nearly as much without y'all.

Agreed. I've lurked on this forum since somewhere ~ middle of second season of Chris and Jake's rewatch. Their and this dialogue has contributed tremendously to unpackaging this show for my first time. Thanks for putting it out there.

I think you mean let's rock

1 hour ago, Invisible Strings said:

I'll just say that, for me, the "most underrated character" of this season has been the showgirl Candie. Her somnolent, Dougie Jones-like existence was so baffling and endearing in equal measure that I found myself thinking about her state of mind a lot. We are unlikely to ever know more about her or why her behaviors were so disconnected, but it was a really striking performance. There were plenty of great performances, that was just one that really hit me as being sad and strange in a way I can't quite articulate. Okay. That's my random, pre-finale thought.

She's going with Cooper and the Mitchums to Twin Peaks, right? It's not out of the question that we get something.

The body is ready. The mind is getting there. 25 years. I was a senior in HS when 2nd season ended.  

2 hours ago, UnpopularTrousers said:

Agreed, 100%. Whatever happens tonight, we'll always have Chris, Jake and each other. It's been a crazy ride. I can't wait to go whooping to the finish as the car slows, hair mussed, out of breath, and thinking how lucky we are to be alive right now.

2 hours ago, UnpopularTrousers said:

Here, here!  Thanks Jake & Chris!  Wondering how you are both going to react or interpret something has become an integral part of my TP enjoyment, and has helped ensure interesting elements don't slip by unnoticed.

While we're at it, thanks to you forumites for the discussion, and to the forum mods for helping keep it civil.  Compared to a lot of places online this feels like a friendly environment, which I know doesn't happen without work.

Just finished episode 17. I can't fucking believe that Bad Coop was defeated half an hour in by a callback to the terrible Lucy phone jokes and a shaky cam punching battle with a floating orb. And then a bunch of Back to The Pilot time travel? My instinct is to say that this was all rather stupid, but at least it's a unique and interesting brand of stupidity. 

On to episode 18, I guess! 

Spoiler

On the surface, it's the horror movie ending. Mother yanked Laura away after Dale intercepted her in the past. She probably put Laura far, far away in a new life so that Dale couldn't use her against the Mother. Mother gamed this all out so that Dale couldn't find her.

Coop can find Judy/Mother and use Laura to stop her. In the old past, Laura was dead. She was the golden orb sent by the Giant to stop Mother. In this future, Mother escaped, but Coop now has the gun to kill her with (Laura). It's a worse surface level ending than before, but there is SOME HOPE that Coop can find and stop Mother now.

On the surface, dire, in the details, actually a more hopeful future than we had.

I spoilered my interpretation above, but it's actually an ending with more hope to stop mother than what we had before, I think.

Oh god what if Lynch announces there will be another Twin Peaks movie and it takes place before season 3 and has NOTHING to do with that ending. Man that would just be perfect. Literally do it again.

Reposting without spoiler markings and with slightly more coherent presentation of info.

On the surface, it's the horror movie ending.

Mother yanked Laura away after Dale intercepted her in the past. She probably put Laura far, far away in a new life so that Dale couldn't use her against the Mother. Mother gamed this all out so that Dale couldn't find her -- the Chalfonts being owners of Laura's house is a clue there.

Laura was the golden orb sent by the Giant to stop Mother. In the old past, Laura was dead. In this future, Coop can find Judy/Mother and use Laura to stop her. Mother escaped, but Coop now has the gun to kill her with (Laura). It's a worse surface level ending than before, but there is SOME HOPE that Coop can find and stop Mother now. Before, there was none.

On the surface, dire. In the details, actually a more hopeful future than we had.