Chris

Twin Peaks Rewatch 50: The Return, Part 15

Twin Peaks Rewatch 50:

Twin Peaks Rewatch 50

The Return, Part 15
This week on Twin Peaks, things are either moving into position as the finale looms, or they are poignantly coming to an end. One Cooper hears a name he hasn't heard in 25 years, and the other Cooper finally asks about Judy, while Margaret Lanterman says a devastating goodbye, Ed and Norma finally get together and Nadine digs herself out of the shit. The end is very close!

If you have a question for us or thoughts to share on the new season of Twin Peaks, write us at [email protected].

Looking for a place to discuss the season with fellow viewers? We recommend the Twin Peaks Rewatch forum.

So happy for Norma and Ed. Ed's concern for Nadine's Dr. Amp obsession was a nice touch too. For a guy who's been retired for decades, Everett McGill can really act. Felt like the scene between Hutch and Chantel later was a cool evil reflection of that. We got a lot of moments between couples in this one. I'm assuming but I'm not sure - did Stephen kill Jerry and that's why he was so upset? I couldn't quite understand everything he said, I should probably watch it back with captions.

Funny that Judy has been a meme in the Twin Peaks fandom for so long and people always thought it was just a stupid red herring. I was thinking the girl in the Roadhouse at the end would be credited as Judy, but I'm not really sure what happened there. The Audrey scenes are getting more confusing for me. I'm torn between thinking she's stuck in another world or dream that's just reflecting reality or that she has suffered some kind of brain damage since her coma and is estranged completely from the family. Richard admits Audrey is his mother, maybe she disappeared and is stuck some place that Mr. C put her? No use in trying to predict. 

Mr. C beating the shit out of Richard was great. Can't wait to see what he wants to tell Richard. Freddy going full Marvel superhero on those guys had me busting out in laughter. At this point, it's slipped my mind completely that Dale Cooper still isn't present in the show. I was okay with that from the beginning but even I'm surprised that Lynch and Frost would be this bold. If the last three episodes are really going to completely tie up everything then the pace is gonna have to be extremely quick. I wonder if they can top the intensity and pace of the Season 1 finale. Very touching tribute to Catherine Coulson. I was expecting a lore dump when Hawk called the meeting. Glad we got a very moving and human moment instead. The shot of Hawk standing sort of halfways in the light of the meeting room was incredible. 

So much to dissect in this one...

I'll just start with this:

Since dreams and dreamers were a seemingly important thing in Part 14, I have been keeping track of any dialogue clearly related to dreams as I rewatch the first few episodes.

In this one, as Dougie eats his cake, still mimicking, and Janey-E remains enamored of him, and before he sees the Gordon Cole reference in an old movie on TV and goes for the electrical outlet, she says, "Oh Dougie, it's like all our dreams are coming true!"

I would consider it an irrelevant line if it weren't for the fact the dream world seems to be taking on a greater meaning.

And given she calls him "dreamweaver" back in part 4, and Mike has told him to "Wake up," I'm beginning to think they snuck in a lot of clues about where this might be headed.

bfl7talwrzgz.png

Sarah Palmer's face was superimposed onto the jumping man when Mr. C is in the convenience store. 

If the red curtain room is the "waiting room" is the convenience store the Black Lodge and the mauve zone is the White Lodge? 

Maybe also important is this:

4eJaM02.jpg

Second thought:

Hulk-hand Freddy, as a result of accidentally possible killing two people in defense of James, has landed in a jail cell across from Naido, who must be protected. No doubt Freddy could break out of this cell anytime he wants with his magical hand. I see chess pieces being put strategically in place, to make a poor WIndom Earl reference. Naido as the Queen, and Freddy as the Bishop, or perhaps more appropriately as the Knight, given the King Arthur connections. He now has a chance to really do good if someone should come to harm her, and it also explains why Andy would place her in such a seemingly vulnerable position as a jail cell.

What an episode.

I was so happy to see Ed and Norma finally get together that I honestly don't even care if Cooper comes back at this point. Season 3 was worth it just to see them get together. 

Heartbreaking scenes with the Log Lady, but what a way to go out. Rest in power, Margaret.

Final frame of the episode was very creepy. 

WHO IS JUDY?

2 minutes ago, therealdougiejones said:

Sarah Palmer's face was superimposed onto the jumping man when Mr. C is in the convenience store. 

If the red curtain room is the "waiting room" is the convenience store the Black Lodge and the mauve zone is the White Lodge? 

I missed that. Did anyone else see a face in the rocks beneath the waterfall during the dissolve to Steven (after the convenience store scene)? I can't tell if it's just a rock that looks like a face to me due to pareidolia,  (the top half of Cooper's face, in fact), or if something was superimposed and intended.

Did you guys notice the profile of the owl on the mountain at the beginning of the episode? They also showed it after the scenes at the diner. 

Screen Shot 2017-08-23 at 9.21.05 AM.png

This episode had me alternately shouting at the TV, laughing, and crying. Loved every minute of it. I was touched that the final dedication was to Margaret Lanterman.

I loved everything about this episode. After just binge watching The Defenders recently, I can't help but see Freddy as Iron Fist in Twin Peaks .

4 minutes ago, Scylo said:

I loved everything about this episode. After just binge watching The Defenders recently, I can't help but see Freddy as Iron Fist in Twin Peaks .

Aside from this wonderful podcast, I also enjoy the take from "Almost Cancelled" guys on Mild Fuzz youtube channel.

They pointed out that Twin Peaks has a better Iron Fist than the Iron Fist series.

It was interesting seeing the origin of the name "Gordon Cole", because in my Hollywood neighborhood two streets I often drive over are Gordon, and then a few blocks later, Cole. I always figured that's where the name came from. Of course maybe that movie, itself named after a Hollywood street (Sunset Blvd), took "Gordon Cole" from those very streets.

Didn't know that about the Hollywood Streets. So the movie clip that set Cooper off was from Sunset Blvd?

Did Steven kill Becky? There's an ominous shot of their trailer, with ominous sound, after the scene in the woods where he (presumably) kills himself.

Gretchen: Why?

Steven: There is no why. I did do it.

Gersten: No. No. She did it, she did it.

Steven: I can't. No. I did it

Gersten: No, no, Steven, Steven, you didn't do anything. You're fucking stoned. What the fuck did she give you? Give me the gun.

Steven: Are you gonna come up with me?

Gersten: No, and you're not going either.

Steven: Look at me. I'm a high school graduate. I''m a high school graduate …..

About the talk Jeffreys and Bad Coop had.

Jeffries: "We used to talk."

Cooper: "Yes, we did."

Flashback FWWM.
Cooper: "1989. You showed up at FBI headquarters in Philadelphia, and said you met Judy."

Jeffries: "So you are Cooper."

At first I thought: Is Bad Coop actually our Coop? The way Jeffries said "So you are Cooper." sounded like he was wondering the whole time what kind of Cooper he met in Philadelphia: Original or Doppelgänger. That was a scary moment.

But now when I think about it... I always saw Bad Coop as a being who started existing when he left the Black Lodge by the end of season 2. But maybe, from his perspective, Bad Coop (thinks he) had a whole life as Cooper. He didn't just inherit memories but he believes he experienced them as well.

By the way, I really liked how they implemented Jeffries into the show. He is a tea kettle now, I love it!

37 minutes ago, Marius said:

But maybe, from his perspective, Bad Coop (thinks he) had a whole life as Cooper. He didn't just inherit memories but he believes he experienced them as well.

I wouldn't even say that. To me, Bad Coop is Cooper. The dark side of Cooper that has fully taken control uncontested. I think that might be what Jeffries was implying.

34 minutes ago, SuperBiasedMan said:

I wouldn't even say that. To me, Bad Coop is Cooper. The dark side of Cooper that has fully taken control uncontested. I think that might be what Jeffries was implying.

Yikes. Seeing it like this make him so much more scary. And I am very glad that there still exists a "Good Coop" in the show.

By the way. The log lady scene. It was so heartbreaking, but did it also contain a new clue?

Remember what I told you.

I can’t say more over the phone. But you know what I mean.

From our talks. When we were able to speak face to face.

Watch for that one. The one I told you about. The one under the moon. On blue pine mountain.

I wonder, is there a scene in season 1 or 2 where Hawk and Margaret have a conversation together? Did they talk about something "under the moon" at one point?

8 hours ago, richardco said:

WHO IS JUDY?

I think the answer to that, if we ever get it, will more accurately be what is Judy. We never hear Judy referred to as a "her" or "she," always by the name. Or it's Briggs, hence the lack of female signifiers. Lynch would enjoy a cheap Wizard of Oz joke, as well as the doubling.

Edited by Demimonde
had a thought

7 hours ago, Marius said:

The Convenience Store is a Tardis.

Not only that but (The Evolution of) Phillip Jeffries is a Dalek! (no, but seriously, look at his silhouette)