Jake

Twin Peaks Rewatch 39: The Return, Part 5

29 minutes ago, christophertime said:

For the record, the Deputy's name is Chad, not Chet as they seem to think.  

Screen Shot 2017-06-06 at 1.10.59 PM.png

Yeah we are very sad :(

1 hour ago, MrHoatzin said:

Hm, I thought this was the same guy but I guess not.

Screen Shot 2017-06-06 at 10.41.03 AM.PNG

So many identical looking white dudes :/

The man on the the is Patrick Fischler, who played Jimmy Barrett in the early seasons of Mad Men. According to his IMDB he was also in Mulholland Drive.

Yes, he was the man at Winkie's Diner scene recalling his dream with the man behind the wall.

The other guy is David Dastmalchian who was in Ant Man and also Prisoners.

18 minutes ago, Atlantic said:

The man on the the is Patrick Fischler, who played Jimmy Barrett in the early seasons of Mad Men. According to his IMDB he was also in Mulholland Drive.

I would say unforgettably in Mulholland Drive, "There's a man in back of this place, he the one that's doing it. I can see him through the wall." The other guy also plays Thomas Schiff from the dark knight that dent threatens to kill by fliping a coin.

I just want to point out what I think is a call back to Blue Velvet, Dougie's green jacket feels like the "yellow man". Who is a guy known for always wearing a bright yellow jacket. 

I'm predicting Badalamenti's music will become more prominent as Dougie/Cooper becomes more self aware. Clever.

Oh also it dawned on me while listening to this episode of the cast that Take Five was used as a doppelganger for Badalamenti's brushed drums in episode four.

56 minutes ago, Guts said:

I would say unforgettably in Mulholland Drive, "There's a man in back of this place, he the one that's doing it. I can see him through the wall."

I never bothered to check the name of the actor, but yeah, I'm never gonna forget that face. That scene was brilliantly constructed and he did a great job.

On 5.6.2017 at 11:14 AM, Treasure Goblin said:

- I loved the impending sense of doom in the many of the scenes but especially the shot of Amanda Seyfreid's character grinning in the car, I think like a lot of people I was waiting for that sudden crash to happen 

That scene was a bit of an emotional rollercoaster for me. Usually, I don't like seeing a smile slowly turning into a frown, but in this case it would sort of have been a blessing. Amanda's character being angry/horrified at her boyfriend using so much cocaine felt like a glimpse of a way out for her, but that was short-lived because she decided to do some herself and feeling "good" again. I was also expecting something terrible to happen during the grinning scene, but nothing happening was pretty horrible too.

There is a small moment in episode 5 that took place while the two cars were driving by the house where Dougie's car was parked that keeps playing in my mind. Could be nothing. Could be something.

First, the assassin's drive by. As the shot pans back, a black car is driving by with characters we haven't seen (the car jackers that come back and two are blown up). As the black car is driving by, there is a gate in the background on the right side of the screen that opens and closes by itself. It's such a small moment and easily missed, but the house in question has plywood over the windows so I'm assuming it's not occupied. We also see no one there. 

It's probably nothing but it's one of those things that I caught and can't seem to shake. Anyone else notice this?

I noticed that too, but when nothing came out, I thought that it was probably just wind or something. Who knows with this series, though.

Exactly. I kept hoping something would come from it. It was so oddly framed I thought maybe it would be something. 

Just listened - cool stuff! Enjoyed the Doppelganger specifics discussion.

Maybe it's just speculation-fatigue and obviously we can't know anything with this show but I'm surprised at how few people have touched on potential implications of Jacoby's new career. He's a conspiracy theorist in a world that features actual shadowy multidimensional intrigue! I wonder if he'll actually play a role in uncovering anything, or if he'll indeed function as this season's metamirror Invitation to Love, with his ramblings vaguely echoing things in the 'real' story world - politicians replaced by lizard people vs. cooper doppelgangers, etc.

Also on the topic of Twin Peaks shoe motifs there's the moment in season two where Nadine is concerned that folks can maybe see up her skirt via her extremely shiny shoes ^___^

And I think the lady who lets Cooper into the bathroom implies that she previously did not let Dougie kiss her? Maybe she finds herself more attracted to Cooper than she was to Dougie. I guess he lost a little weight? (or maybe it's just a continuation of a cheeky withholding-flirt).

7 hours ago, SamSanchez said:

Yes, he was the man at Winkie's Diner scene recalling his dream with the man behind the wall.

The other guy is David Dastmalchian who was in Ant Man and also Prisoners.

I can't remember if it was commented on here or elsewhere, but Dastmalchian also has a small part as the Joker henchman Aaron Eckhart nearly kills in The Dark Knight.

I think the band before the credits was intentional - reminded me a lot of Lost Highway and was a great accent to Richard Horne's introduction. The closing credits were haunting, what a beautiful way to wrap up that great episode with Coop gazing at those shoes in the twilight.

1 minute ago, TheGoodCoopRI said:

I think the band before the credits was intentional - reminded me a lot of Lost Highway and was a great accent to Richard Horne's introduction. The closing credits were haunting, what a beautiful way to wrap up that great episode with Coop gazing at those shoes in the twilight.

I think this was really effective given we had just started to get used to the band being there for the credits scene.  I'm sure a lot of people did the same thing to me which was check how long there was left in the episode, because it felt too fast to be at the end already!  Looking forward to seeing the other ways our expectations will be subverted.  

Also semi-related about that scene:  I'm seeing a lot of criticism about the way people reacted to Richard Horne aggressively grabbing that girl, saying it was unrealistic because no one intervened.  The bystander effect is very much real, like there was a news story here recently where a woman was sexually assaulted on a tram, no one intervened while she begged for help, and she was later followed and raped by the perpetrator.   I've also been present to incidents where a man has suddenly turned very aggressive/violent, and even in numbers it can be extremely terrifying standing up to a violent man as a young woman, and its normal to freeze in shock.  We all like to think we'll be big tough guys in the moment but its often not the case.  I'm not sure whether it was here, or in Slack or elsewhere but I saw someone categorise it as the horror that comes from inaction, which I think really is the perfect way to describe this confronting scene.  

My understanding of the difference between Bob in Evil Coop and Bob in Leland is this:  Leland says he invited Bob and he came inside him, and when Bob speaks for himself in Leland's final scene he mentions riding Leland and instructs Copperto watch what happens when he pulls the cord and Leland remembers- all of which leads me to believe there was only one Leland and he was not a doppelganger.  Evil Coop, given that he seems to have made a plan to stay, does not seem to be Bob, but Coops evil double with all of Coop's intelligence, memories, and wisdom which is why I think Evil Coop was able to come up with a plan (where Leland or Bob's other vessels wouldn't).  Bob seems to be a parasite who desires garmanbozia, as such I doubt he would care who gets it for him, and Evil Coop would do so for his own pleasure and need no goading from Bob, nor would Bob need to hide himself.    I don't think Bob is partial to his vessel- Leland seemed to be working out just fine when he was already making plans to enter Laura, so I don't see him much caring if Coop stayed in "the real world."  

I'm really hoping Coop comes back to himself soon.  I don't think I can take much more of Dougie. and people's treatment of him.  What's up with his wife anyway?  Her only reaction is exasperation.

I'm surprised there's been no mention of the fact the Roadhouse band (Trouble) features one Riley (son of) Lynch. Oh, and Dean Hurley too. 

10 hours ago, Atlantic said:

Oh also it dawned on me while listening to this episode of the cast that Take Five was used as a doppelganger for Badalamenti's brushed drums in episode four.

That's similar to how I read it. Cooper isn't Cooper yet so he doesn't get Badalamenti - he gets the mainstream, done-to-death version as he gets back into his groove. The problem is Take 5 works too well in the scene to be classified as the 'Starbucks' version. It's too groovy to read as a commentary on a Dougiefied suburban, sleepwalking life.

I think Lynch just liked how the track worked.

6 hours ago, Digger said:

I'm really hoping Coop comes back to himself soon.  I don't think I can take much more of Dougie. and people's treatment of him.  What's up with his wife anyway?  Her only reaction is exasperation.

It's implied that Dougie was a pretty crummy husband, so I can forgive a less than perfect response to Cooper's condition. It seems like Janey-E is just barely holding things together while her husband is off racking up dangerous gambling debts and visiting sex workers, so she might well not have the energy to be as sympathetic as one would hope. Besides, who hasn't reacted poorly to a situation out of a feeling that it's unfair? 

Maybe I'm reading too much into the details we've seen - they have a nice house and  a seemingly well-adjusted son - but that's the impression I've been given. 

I'm starting to suspect that this show will definitely not resolve even half of these threads in a satisfying way.

16 hours ago, James said:

It's implied that Dougie was a pretty crummy husband, so I can forgive a less than perfect response to Cooper's condition. It seems like Janey-E is just barely holding things together while her husband is off racking up dangerous gambling debts and visiting sex workers, so she might well not have the energy to be as sympathetic as one would hope. Besides, who hasn't reacted poorly to a situation out of a feeling that it's unfair? 

Maybe I'm reading too much into the details we've seen - they have a nice house and  a seemingly well-adjusted son - but that's the impression I've been given. 

Agreed, I think she's definitely catching too much flak... All else aside he's been 'back' from a two day bender for less than 24 hours! (wait, is that right? were breakfast and the car ride to work the same day?)

Dougie might have been a lousy husband, but they look like they're living an OK life, and she hasn't even shown affection to her son, she's hiding money in "the usual place," and something is obviously wrong with him.   He cries and she has no response, he can't seem to dress himself, he hasn't spoken a full sentence- the brief glimpse of Dougie we had before this made him a bit more verbal, and Jade seemed to have some affection for him.  Maybe it's just bad writing, I can't care about any of them.  I thought maybe Bob was riding the more coherent Dougie, but that Dougie said his arm went numb (a sign Bob has left?), so it must be that Dougie was much more capable.  He's built relationships with people at work, held down a job, has a home, and kid.   

I liked the scene with Sheriff Truman and his wife.  It felt very Twin Peaks-y to me.

On a completely different note, did anyone else think the red velvet seat Becky was sitting on was evocative of the red curtains from the lodge?  I found myself hoping she'd be Laura Palmer because I'd like more murder mystery and less blank and extended stares into the distance.