Sign in to follow this  
Patrick R

Silicon Valley

Silicon Valley reminded me a ton of Amazon's Betas, but the writing is so much better.  Also the cast!  Kumail! TJ Miller! Martin Starr! Zach Woods!  So many great LA comedians!

It's a bummer that there's 7 main male roles and 1 main female role.  Otherwise I give it a super hearty recommend.

Yeah, and I'm really worried the one woman will just end up being there as a romantic interest.

As long as Mike Judge doesn't let this become Nerd Entourage, I'm interested.

Silicon Valley reminded me a ton of Amazon's Betas, but the writing is so much better.  Also the cast!  Kumail! TJ Miller! Martin Starr! Zach Woods!  So many great LA comedians!

It's a bummer that there's 7 main male roles and 1 main female role.  Otherwise I give it a super hearty recommend.

I understand that's intentional; Silicon Valley makes a big deal about being meritocratic but it's somehow mostly white, young upper-middle class men.

I loved the Silicon Valley pilot. It's like most Mike Judge comedies for me: I didn't laugh out loud much, but I thoroughly enjoyed myself anyway. I absolutely love the characters.

How great is this Silicon Valley ad?

sil.jpg?w=600&h=0&zc=1&s=0&a=t&q=89

I really liked the first episode, although I will admit the single female character's role could turn out to be questionable. 

Silicon Valley was pretty good. Not laugh out loud funny for the most, but that last half got much funnier and frantic. That doctor scene was a highlight. I'm very happy with the main cast, especially the lead and Gregory. It gets me in the same Mike Judge's films do, not just by being funny but also being kind of sweet.. I'm a softie!

I'm worried that Judge will somehow glorify Silicon Valley assholes. I'm sure he won't, but I still have that worry. I'll watch that pilot tomorrow, and I shall see for myself.

How many of you here are watching the new Mike Judge show, Silicon Valley? Three episodes in and I'm totally hooked. Oh and Veep is absolutely hilarious this season too!

I've watched two eps of Silicon Valley and I'm totally sold on it. Love it!

Is there an easy, legal way to watch Silicon Valley in the UK that doesn't involve iTunes?

Re. Boss Whedon, I hope rentals don't become the standard, as I much prefer VOD service or buying a disc (or at least a license a la Steam).

I watched the first episode of Silicon Valley, and I rather dislike it.

I watched the first episode of Silicon Valley, and I rather dislike it.

Any specific reasons?

How many of you here are watching the new Mike Judge show, Silicon Valley? Three episodes in and I'm totally hooked. Oh and Veep is absolutely hilarious this season too!

I couldn't make it past the first few minutes of Silicon Valley. I think I bailed somewhere around the appearance of Brogrammers. It may be because I basically work in that world, but I found it kind of insulting. I feel pretty much the same about The Big Bang Theory, but that's insulting on a broader level.

Veep is great though.

Any specific reasons?

The programming culture which is presented really puts me off. I don't recognize it as a real thing, just as a overly fake Hollywood fabrication. It's just the programmer culture from all those Hollywood movies as a TV series. It wouldn't be an issue if it was funny, or was an undertone in the whole. But it isn't.

Fair enough. I don't have any frame of reference to how this world really is. Except for the obnoxious Hooli CEO videos, those seemed like accurate parodies of the real-word equivalent?

tabacco, I wasn't really sold on the pilot until halfway through. The start was slow and didn't get much laughs from me, but it picked up the pace during the latter half.  BUT.. I wouldn't know if the latter half is just as insulting as the first, so maybe you're better off stopping where you did..

tabacco, I wasn't really sold on the pilot until halfway through. The start was slow and didn't get much laughs from me, but it picked up the pace during the latter half.  BUT.. I wouldn't know if the latter half is just as insulting as the first, so maybe you're better off stopping where you did..

I think elmuerte and I seem to fall in pretty much the same place. It's not that I'm concerned it's not funny, it's that I'm pretty put off by the parody of my own industry, if that makes sense. I think it paints tech people with a really broad brush that's mostly just reinforcing already shitty stereotypes of tech industry workers, especially here in SF where it's basically the last thing we need.

I couldn't make it past the first few minutes of Silicon Valley. I think I bailed somewhere around the appearance of Brogrammers. It may be because I basically work in that world, but I found it kind of insulting. I feel pretty much the same about The Big Bang Theory, but that's insulting on a broader level.

Veep is great though.

I'd say the... look of the guys is right. But yeah it was kind of weird to see a show that gets some things so right (the look of that building the fictional company the main character works for is spot on) and then... make these sorts of people I've met and liked into some kind of super socially awkward stereotype was weird. I think the show could've worked if it had been a bit smarter about it all. For all it's problems The Social Network at least got something like the all night alcohol laced coding sessions closer than this show did, which was just "hey look this guy's totally obsessed with coding and has no social skills, looool!".

Hmm, really weird considering how normal the main characters in Office Space were.

I just discovered Silicon Valley and have been digging the crap out of it. It's just so accurate. It could be a bit sharper/nastier but goddamn hilarious.

I love Mike Judge's other stuff, but just can't get on board with Silicon Valley. My boyfriend is super into it, though. Instead, I continue to be perpetually disappointed by the lack of King of the Hill on Netflix.

I love Mike Judge's other stuff, but just can't get on board with Silicon Valley. My boyfriend is super into it, though. Instead, I continue to be perpetually disappointed by the lack of King of the Hill on Netflix.

I was up and down on the first season, but it was good enough for the time because nothing else I liked was on at the time. King of the Hill not being on Netflix is definitely a tragedy, though.

I was up and down on the first season, but it was good enough for the time because nothing else I liked was on at the time. King of the Hill not being on Netflix is definitely a tragedy, though.

That's fair. I really need to be grabbed by a comedy immediately to bother continuing, or at least need to see the glimmer of what it will become (The Mindy Project & New Girl fall into this category.) I'm much more forgiving of non-violent dramas usually.

I like it. It's definitely a bumpy ride, but when it's fun it's fun. When it's clunky and overly cute it's excruciatingly so. :tmeh:

On a different note, Silicon Valley is fucking fantastic. The second season is much, much better than the first and I'm super excited about the upcoming finale! :tup: :tup: