Jump to content
Dewar

Vice.com/Gaming Becomes Waypoint, Employs Danielle Riendeau and Rob Zacny

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, juv3nal said:

At a certain point it just becomes a question of how many eyeballs the mod team has available to keep an eye on how many potentially contentious threads. IMO it's a valid choice to close a thread before something bad gets posted if the mod team feels the topic is more likely than others to result in bad behavior.

 

I would credit the idea that Waypoint moderation has limited resources, except their #1 new rule on the forums is that people should flag anything they find bothersome or uncomfortable as a first rather than a last resort. I haven't been mod staff on a forum for over a decade, but I imagine the volume of work, having to go to every flagged post and make a judgment call, is exponentially higher than in most other forums, especially since Waypoint moderation seems to be relying on a smell test rather than on explicit rules for acceptable and unacceptable content.

 

In general, I understand the desire to make the forums a safe space, but I find all of the rules to make the community seem very closed off and unwelcoming. When you say in your own forum rules that you want everyone to feel like their voices are being heard, but also tell them that they're likely to get at least a few warnings and locked threads in their time on the forums, so it's important for them to consider if their voice is needed in a given conversation, well...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate the experience of reading things on Waypoint and trying to sluggishly scroll through the site, so it is a testament to how good this oral history of the Halo series is that I stuck through the whole thing. My verdict: Video Games Are Dumb and It's A Miracle Anything Exists.

 

Also really, what is it about Waypoint's design that makes everything feel so slow and unresponsive? I've literally never been able to read a Waypoint article on my phone without it reloading or getting stuck at least once. Do I not have a sick enough gaming rig for articles about people who mod Civilization 3 in 2017?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried to read an article on waypoint on my phone and it reloaded itself and i lost my place 3 times in the first 2 paragraphs and I quit and will never click a link of theirs on my phone again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Twig   

It's a Vice thing in general, I think? I dunno I don't read other Vice things but I saw someone say that. Apparently the scroll event does a lot of processing.

 

I was curious about this and decided to take a quick profile. On this low-end laptop, a single scroll DOM event took 1.7s and ran way more code than I'd expect for a single event handler. So it seems like there is indeed a bug somewhere; hopefully they'll be able to find and fix it soon!

 

52167a8e6e33bddc1827325228bfc645e93844f0

 

https://forum.waypoint.vice.com/t/vice-website-performance-scrolling-responsiveness/3357/11

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It's pretty fucking unbearable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
juv3nal   
11 hours ago, Gormongous said:

 

I would credit the idea that Waypoint moderation has limited resources, except their #1 new rule on the forums is that people should flag anything they find bothersome or uncomfortable as a first rather than a last resort. I haven't been mod staff on a forum for over a decade, but I imagine the volume of work, having to go to every flagged post and make a judgment call, is exponentially higher than in most other forums, especially since Waypoint moderation seems to be relying on a smell test rather than on explicit rules for acceptable and unacceptable content.

 

I'm not at all privy to how moderation works on waypoint, so I have no idea if this is at all applicable, but in at least one forum I'm on, stuff that is exceptionally offensive gets deleted, along with anything quoting it that responds to it. In such a circumstance, getting something flagged sooner rather than later can result in less work because if you delete the comments of people justifiably upset at the original offensive comment, some of them will understandably be upset about having their comment deleted and then the mods have to field angry pms or whatever. If you can curb the impulse by getting people to flag instead of angrily responding, then that potentially cuts down on headache not only because there will hypothetically be fewer such responses but also because you will get to the offensive comments faster so fewer people have time to respond.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Patrick R said:

I hate the experience of reading things on Waypoint and trying to sluggishly scroll through the site, so it is a testament to how good this oral history of the Halo series is that I stuck through the whole thing. My verdict: Video Games Are Dumb and It's A Miracle Anything Exists.

 

I couldn't read this post and not think that Waypoint is also the name for the online hub of the Halo series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was able to add Waypoint to my feedly and you can read the whole articles via that (they dont push just snippets to the feeds) and it works good on mobile

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Danielle   
On 5/30/2017 at 8:05 PM, Twig said:

It's a Vice thing in general, I think? I dunno I don't read other Vice things but I saw someone say that. Apparently the scroll event does a lot of processing.

 

 

 

 

52167a8e6e33bddc1827325228bfc645e93844f0

 

https://forum.waypoint.vice.com/t/vice-website-performance-scrolling-responsiveness/3357/11

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It's pretty fucking unbearable.

I obviously can't say too much about it - but oh my holy god, do I wish I could do something about this (we all do). It makes everyone here see red.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×