Sign in to follow this  
Henke

Looking for TBS recommendations

Oxeren, sorry to be that annoying guy, but any Switch plans for Steam Tactics? Your game looks pretty rad. 

I just started playing Space Hulk Ascension, so far I really like it. Sort of similar to Xcom but meaner

On 10/5/2017 at 10:32 PM, Nappi said:

Who would have thought a year ago that the game that ticks all the boxes of the initial question would be an Ubisoft-developed Mario game?

Hah, yes. I picked up Mario+Rabbids last week and I just beat Rabbid Kong this morning. It's wonderful, lighthearted turn based tactics fun. It's this year's Steamworld Heist.

For a decidedly less lighthearted TBS game I also picked up Vietnam '65 in a Steam sale recently, though I haven't gotten to it yet.

If you're looking for an older game,  I highly recommend of the XCOM games.  The director of the original is also making a new game.  It's called Phoenix Point I think.

I tried playing the demo of a X-Com game(or perhaps it was UFO) back in the mid-90's, but couldn't make heads or tails of it. I think the streamlined design of the newer games is much more my bag, but also not so much my bag, as my raging against XCOM2 in the opening post shows.

1 hour ago, Henke said:

I tried playing the demo of a X-Com game(or perhaps it was UFO) back in the mid-90's, but couldn't make heads or tails of it. I think the streamlined design of the newer games is much more my bag, but also not so much my bag, as my raging against XCOM2 in the opening post shows.

Have you checked out Xenonauts? Its a good compromise between the Original Xcom and the new ones.

I apparently own it on GOG! I'm probably not gonna play it tho.

Between Vietnam 65, which I still haven't played, and the soon-to-be-released Flotilla 2 and Valkyria Chronicles 4 I think I'm all set for TBS games for a while.

I assume you've probably checked out Into the Breach, which ticks all your boxes and is by the FTL devs. If not, do it.

Sure have! It was good, but I didn't get into it as much as FTL. Pretty much just finished it on Normal and never came back to it.

Also recently bought Flotilla 2, but due to a bug where it's only playable with the left Touch-controller on Oculus Rift I've been unable to enjoy it. :( Chung tried to fix it, but to no avail. :|

However I am HYPED for Frozen Synapse 2 and Valkyria Chronicles 4 coming out over the next couple weeks! :D

I just dipped back into Card Hunter and it's still as good as ever, with a lot more build variety due to expansion cards.