The Dreamcast

2 oz of rum

1 oz triple sec

4 oz of cream soda

Shake all ingredients vigorously in cocktail shaker. Pour over ice.

This is a real cocktail I made last night out of what I had available. It's fine. Badfinger named it on slack.

EDIT: Important update! I didn't see that there was already a Blondie, Freckles and Glasses drink on record, so this is now the Chicago Blondie, Freckles and Glasses. Also, I just made myself another one and actually shaken is the way to go.

EDIT EDIT: Ok ok, I made myself another and adjusted the recipe and now this is a legitimately a good thing. Also, due to it's flavors resembling a dreamsicle, this is now called The Dreamcast.

Blame Jake for this one:

A Pulpable Dream

1 oz blood orange liqueur (I used Pür Likör)

2 oz gin (I used Knickerbocker, which has a stronger juniper berry flavor than most)

1 oz dry vermouth

2 oz strawberry purée

.5 oz lemon juice

4 oz ginger ale

Ice

Pour all the ingredients except the ginger ale and ice into a tall highball glass and stir until the purée is well incorporated. Fill with ice and top with ginger ale.

Photo here: https://twitter.com/sjontofa/status/743966818654650368

Note: Of the drinks I've named after Idle episode, this is definitely the closest to a tiki bar drink.

Nick's Dark Souls III stream has inspired a light and refreshing drink on this warmest of summer evenings:

The Bublé Bloodborne Bloodbeef:

• 3 Oz. Chardonnay (I used Chilean Chardonnay Viognier)
  • 2 tablespoons fresh raspberries (from the garden, ideally)
  • 3 drops Angostura bitters
  • 3 drops of lime juice or squeeze fresh lime wedge if available
  • 2 ice cubes

Blend together into a consistent light slurry. Pour into a lowball cocktail glass. Top up with ice cold sparkling mineral water or tonic of your choice.

Enjoy this blood red refreshing delight while watching your favourite streamers internalize the most punishing of video games.  :)

Today is the start of a mini vacation for me, so I'm back at it again with another concoction. This one is named after the third episode of Idle Thumbs. I reached way back for this one!

(Blueberry) Field of Dreams

—A handful of blueberries
—5 basil leaves
—2 sprigs of mint
—1 tsp raw sugar (or more if you want it sweet)
—3 oz blueberry gin (I used New Haven Blueberry Gin)
—Juice of 1 lemon
—Sparkling white wine or club soda
—Another sprig of mint and some blueberries to garnish

In a cocktail shaker, muddle the blueberries, herbs, and sugar. Add the gin and lemon juice, plus a few ice cubes, and shake. Strain the liquid into a tall highball glass filled with ice, then top up with sparkling white wine or soda water. Garnish with another sprig of mint and some fresh blueberries.

As always, it's fully drinkable (and quite nice, really, although I used sparkling white wine so it's definitely a heavy hitter). Photo on my Twitter account: https://twitter.com/sjontofa/status/750820827273175040

I've been iterating on matcha-drinks for a while now time. They work great as start for an evening/night, and I'm kind of suprised bars don't serve them to keep people partying all night, as one of these will totally wake you up from whatever stupor you've ended up in.

The Hypersonic Effect

For one serving:

• Lemon sorbet (1-2 table spoons)
  • Lemon juice (1/8 lemon)
  • Lime juice (1/4 lime)
  • Mint leaves (3-5)
  • Matcha (1 teaspoon)
  • Ice
  • Sparkling wine/Champagne
Serve in tall, chilled glasses.

Scoop the sorbet, mint leaves and matcha into a blender, add the lemon and lime juice on top of the matcha, so the matcha powder will not fly all over the blender.

Pour the green goop into the chilled glass. Put the ice into the blender. Ideally, I think, you'd want to grind the ice into powder. And that's why you want the pre-chilled glasses, so that the powdered ice won't melt as fast.

Top the glass with sparking wine, and finish with the crushed ice/ice dust. Enjoy!

Notes:

- You can substitute the lemon juice with pure lime juice, depends on your preference.

- You do want to use the highest quality match you're comfortable with budget wise. You really want the strong umami, without the harsh bitterness. Something like this or better.

- I feel this is also rather sensitive to the sparkling wine used. For the sweeter version I use Vouvray, and for the drier version I prefer a deep, roasted champange.

I'm also trying some other matcha drinks, but they still need work. Mint and matcha work very well together, and mojito with match isn't bad either. But I'd really love to make a great gin-matcha drink. The best candidate I have is 50/50 Triple Sec/Monkey 47 -gin

--

I finally had time to try some of the things here, specifically Field of Dreams, Bublé Bloodborne Bloodbeef (fresh berries are in season here) and The Rich Uncle. 

- I highly recommend the Blueberry Field of Dreams. I did not have blueberry gin, but I substituted by using a lot of blueberries. I tried it with both Schweppes Indian Tonic and Vouvray. I think I preferred the extra bite from tonic. Should probably have opted for a more acidic/less sweet sparkling wine.

- Bublé Bloodborne Bloodbeef, which was really intense, although that's partially due to a less than ideal choice of chardonnay. I added a dash of triple sec to sweeten the thing, which worked out ok.

- Rich Uncle was really tasty and simple, but by that point I was already way too drunk to really have any real analytical capability :-)

I'm a bartender, cocktail nerd and longtime thumbs fan so if anyone has questions about how to make their ideas into real, delicious stuff I'll keep an eye on the thread :D

I'm a big tea dork, and I would love to find some of the wonderful flavours of pu'er or oolong teas with drinks. Any tips for infusing tea in alcohol? Or other ideas on how to get tea flavours to survive?

I'd really love to make a great gin-matcha drink. The best candidate I have is 50/50 Triple Sec/Monkey 47 -gin

Monkey 47 tastes way too much of iodine for me to consider it as part of a cocktail. Have you tried Uncle Val's Botanical Gin? That has some of the same notes, but smoother and less intrusive to the mix.

I want to 'like' so many of these posts!

Some great stuff here - you peeps are definitely in San Francisco. Celery bitters? Tamarind drinking vinegar?? Spain is behind the times ;)

I used to knock up something that was essentially a Cosmopolitan with Bombay Saphire substituting vodka, plus a twist of burnt orange rind. I'm not in the position to experiment at the mo, but I hereby trademark 'The Babywall'.

Bumping this old thing because I finally got my hands on the ingredients for my A Refined Baby recipe, finalized below:

A Refined Baby

1.5 oz neutral shochu (I imagine you can safely substitute vodka)

1 oz calpis concentrate

0.5oz creme de cassis

Mix with ice in collins glass, top with soda water.

I made mine in a pint glass because that's what I have:

refined-baby.jpg

I recognize that this is an extremely simple drink made up of self-indulgent, relatively hard to acquire ingredients. But on the bright side, it turned out delicious! It tastes like a fancy foreign fruity yogurt candy concoction. So, definitely for sweet-toothed drinkers. But refined sweet-toothed drinkers.

We've been way into margaritas, and also recently into Moscow Mules.

It's not a real mule if you don't have ginger beer, but it still makes a tasty drink if you use ginger ale.

I present the Shadow of Something

2 oz vodka (I used Tito's. It's making me change my opinion of vodka)

1/2 oz lime juice

crushed ice or cubes

6 oz ginger ale

pour ingredients over ice

for fancy, serve in a copper mug with lime wedge

I like Tito's too. Have you tried a dark n' stormy? Like a Moscow mule but with dark rum.