Sign in to follow this  
Patrick R

"Cars sucks." - A Pixar Thread

I'm assuming it will be accurate for most people (it's a joke thing but if you want to replace it go ahead. It does not affect ranking)

WALL-E and The Incredibles have a universal appeal, surprising no one. 

Also, I nominate The Brave Little Toaster as an honorary Pixar movie as it was made by all the Pixar people and it's very good. Also, I like it more than 3 of my top 5 Pixar movies. 

Alright I filled it out based on how I felt about them when I last saw them. Otherwise it would be 1: WALL-E 2 through 5: Toy Story I guess?

EDIT: Is it weird that I've had the doc open for a while just to see what anonymous animals show up? So far my favorite is anonymous chubacabra.

I think chronological order makes sense as people might come late to the list and affect rankings and also we can set our technological expectations linearly. Toy Story 1 is pretty dated visually.

EDIT: If you just meant the order that they're currently arranged to display the rankings then that actually is chronological order:

1. Toy Story
  2. A Bug's Life
  3. Toy Story 2
  4. Monsters, Inc.
  5. Finding Nemo
  6. The Incredibles
  7. Cars
  8. Ratatouille
  9. WALL-E
  10. Up
  11. Toy Story 3
  12. Cars 2
  13. Brave
  14. Monsters University
  15. Inside Out
  16. The Good Dinosaur

I think the plot of WALL-E is kind of dumb but it's still my fav because it just resonates with me, emotionally? I can still watch it and tear up over certain scenes, not because I find them sad or whatever, but because they effect me deeply on an audiovisual level. The scene where they just zip around in space for a bit is soooo nice.

One thing I love about Wall-E is that so many movies would play the fat couch potato people for laughs, but instead the movie portrays them with this kind of dormant sense of longing. In general, I really like Pixar's tendency not to use characters just to make fun of or play the role of a villain, but to be actually fleshed out and interesting characters in their own right. It's less unusual now, but at the time Pixar came on the scene that was really rare in kid's entertainment -- and, honestly, in pretty much all entertainment.

One thing I love about Wall-E is that so many movies would play the fat couch potato people for laughs, but instead the movie portrays them with this kind of dormant sense of longing. In general, I really like Pixar's tendency not to use characters just to make fun of or play the role of a villain, but to be actually fleshed out and interesting characters in their own right. It's less unusual now, but at the time Pixar came on the scene that was really rare in kid's entertainment -- and, honestly, in pretty much all entertainment.

I will withhold my opinions on this until I rewatch, but my memory is that it absolutely constantly plays the fat potato people for laughs. It's one of the reasons I haven't gone back to it.

I don't know if we're all planning on rewatching these movies on the same time frame (like, say, one a week) or if we're all just gonna go at our own speed, but between Wizard Jam and prepping for two episodes of my podcast, I won't have time to do any of it until 2016.

I think one a week (or one every N weeks, lots of people are busy and one week is probably too short) makes sense so we can get that book club thing going where we discuss things one at a time, while they're still fresh. Does anyone else have an opinion on it?

Definitely wait till after the new year and maybe do a 2 week window for each since a week might be a tight time frame to coordinate with everyone. And honestly, I'll be skipping some of these because I see them all the freaking time.

Also, for the ones I haven't seen and don't own, what do you guys think is the best way to view these? I'd be surprised if any of the streaming services have more than a handful of them. Hopefully we can find most of them at our local library.

I'd suggest once a fortnight and I agree about starting next year to avoid holiday buzz. Does 2 weeks sound good to everyone else? I'd have slight reservations about 3 weeks making the gaps too big for it to be a regular habit.

Also no love for Monsters U. I thought it was pretty fun movie even if it wasn't one of my top 5s. But I guess there is a lack of direction to a lot of it.

Also, for the ones I haven't seen and don't own, what do you guys think is the best way to view these? I'd be surprised if any of the streaming services have more than a handful of them. Hopefully we can find most of them at our local library.

Ooh, that could be a problem. I don't have Netflix, so I tried to check their catalogue, but I got contradictory information from a few sites, can anyone with direct access to some of the streaming sites check if the Pixar movies are available?

Okay, I know in the past we've had really good luck just checking them out from our local library since they tend to have a big selection of movies. If that doesn't work then maybe an Amazon or Red Box rental will do.

I'm not seeing any Pixar movies on Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon (they're on Amazon, but not free for streaming)

Is Amazon paid stuff region-locked, or can we count on everyone being able to access it? I live outside the US, where Netflix and co. region-lock off most of their content.

Also no love for Monsters U. I thought it was pretty fun movie even if it wasn't one of my top 5s. But I guess there is a lack of direction to a lot of it.

I thought it was good. It starts out a mess but gradually becomes a better movie. It's like the reverse of Up. :tup:

Also, I look forward to trying to defend Cars to some degree when we get there. It's a mess, but there's some stuff there. Granted, I always watch that one in Danish, so I don't hear Larry the Cable Guy, which is already a big improvement.

Last time I checked, Amazon had region-based accounts, so even if you used a proxy you'd have to pay for a different account to see their US content.

I always thought Cars was an okay, just suffers by comparison to Pixar's other films. Sort of the same for Monster's U, I don't think it's bad, just not remarkable.

You at least think Cars 2 is garbage right?