RubixsQube

Downwell! Gun Boots! Treasure Collecting! Falling!

you can never have enough charge imo

If you can shoot forever, you wont even need to worry about bouncing on enemies in the first place

vivid is my fave. feel like its the most readable so far.

And I can second the tweets atte posted. Originally beat the game with armspin and thought i might try doing runs with all the styles... turns out the larger number of enemies that end up chasing you from the top of the screen in hard makes floatiness a real liability.

Vivid has been my favorite as well. Kinda feels like an improved version of the original which was my favorite for awhile.

I finally made it to world 4 this weekend! It was a nice wtf moment. I am starting to get to world 3 regularly now so I am definitely getting better at this game. Like Spelunky though I have the occasional run where I die at 1-1 or 1-2.

Wall-jumping may be minor, but the combo system is so essential. Not just for the mechanical benefits, but because of how it makes you play. The game is a million times more fun when you're trying to go fast and stay airborne, rather than descending meticulously.

I agree it's super fun, all I'm saying is that it's not literally necessary to beat the game so I'm ok with it not being explicitly spelled out.

Is shooting forever actually that useful, though? Usually if I'm that careless with my shooting I end up doing something I don't want to, like knocking away or destroying something I wanted to bounce on, aggroing an angry skull, or bursting a bubble container too early so the bubbles scatter. Health is guaranteed to be useful, even if the marginal benefit starts to fall away.

I tend to favor powerful weapons that have fewer shots (like the shotgun or laser) so charges are a priority for me.  But I usually just buy whatever is available for me regardless of what it is.

World 5-1 is the boss fight. Don't know if there's actually anything after that.

So I've discovered! Finally beat it. Hadn't gotten to his final phase before, went in with 1 HP, was sweating bullets. Laser is a freaking godsend.

Hard mode seems... hard.

Realized that I was getting to World 4 more often when I was a style other than levitating, so I basically retaught myself how to play as arm-spinning and beat the game for the first time. I actually think levitating isn't an easy mode, but more of a "training" mode. I find that with levitating style, I over-extend myself to keep combos going at the expense of safety. Once you acclimate to the faster falling speed, the other styles actually seem a little better suited for the end game.

Hmm that's an interesting point. I guess I should try some of the other styles.

No seriously, this room. It's like, one in ten treasure rooms.

downwell.png

Surely someone who is good at walljumping has either reached the top and gotten some kind of bonus area, or confirmed that it's impossible to do so. Does anyone in this thread know? The curiosity is killing me.

You can only wall-jump once, so you can't get to the top. I have gotten that third torch once though. It had a gem in it.

EDIT: Also falling slower means it is easier for enemies to hit you from the side or top.

You can only wall-jump once, so you can't get to the top. I have gotten that third torch once though. It had a gem in it.

Bouncing on the torches refreshes your walljump (just like bouncing on enemies). Theoretically (assuming the jump distance works out) you should be able to chain walljumps off the torches and go off the top of the room, which will obviously do something because the whole room is set up to facilitate that.

which will obviously do something because the whole room is set up to facilitate that.

That's a bit of an assumption. It might just be a stylistic choice. Or maybe having a ceiling there would hamper reaching that torch.

Finally beat normal mode on my first run this evening!

I can regularly get the third torch in that side room, but I'm pretty sure that there's just an invisible ceiling at the top.

Thanks!

After a few more tries, it looks like there's no invisible ceiling on the three-torch room, but the walls are just far enough apart that even Levitate-style jumps fall short of being able to get above the room.

Hard mode is crazy! So many more enemies! New enemies! I've been able to get to world 3, and

your air goes down much more quickly, and the smashable air containers are removed in favor of free-floating air bubbles!

What's the consensus on the membership card? It seems kind of useful, but a 10% discount isn't really that much, especially compared to something like the apple which just straight up gives you something worth 900 gems at the start.

So far my top 3 are probably gem powered, knife and fork, and the one that goes boom when you bounce on something.

It always depends on situation. Knife and fork is the best unless you're first getting it in world 3.

For pure ease of clearing the screen, I like to get gunpowder blocks and the boom shoes as early as I can. I often get the membership card, if only because a shop at the start of every level means I can guaranteed buy upgrades at least every other level.

I usually go for the membership card halfway through/late game when things start getting expensive. The big three that I always make sure to get are gem powered (essential imo), gem attractor and popping gems. Works wonders in the late game.

I'll get the membership card if I see it early because it can pay off in the long run but not at the expense of more immediately useful upgrades.  Youth I'll also grab early if I can.  I never pass up the blast module.  The rest are fairly circumstantial.  The one upgrade I've never used is the one that extends gem high time.

Membership card has another bonus, which is giving you a guaranteed time warp at the beginning of every level. Makes it easier to chain combos from one level to the next.

I think the power-up I like the most is the one that refills your energy meter every time you get a gem. Getting youth early on is also huge. And because I'm bad at the game the 4 health bonus is obviously huge as well.