kaputt

Dark Souls 3 {Dark souls 2 successor [Dark Souls successor (Demon's Souls successor)]} (Bloodborne's something)

Update: Confirmed at MS E3 Conferece. Dark Souls 3 will come in early 2016, PC/PS4/X1, directed by Miyazaki, last Dark Souls game.

Original post:

Apparently a new Dark Souls will be announced at E3. There's a video with the leaks, including screenshots and lots of information. Can be fake, but they have lots of screenshots, I think it's legit. Be warned that the guys in the video are quite annoying. 

EDIT: Considering that the guys in the video are truly annoying, here's a write-up, made by Gematsu, of the things said in the video:

YouTube channel The Know reportedly has first details on Dark Souls IIIrumored to be announced at E3 in Los Angeles this month. 

Here are the details:

• The game is coming to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in 2016. PC is also listed, but is accompanied by the word “negotiable.”
  • The game will support “1-4 players,” meaning it’s possible you can summon more than one friend or there might be a player-versus-player element.
  • 10 playable classes, all available from the beginning of the game.
  • 45 new enemies, 15 new bosses. Characters and monsters from previous games are not included in that count.
  • 100 new weapons and 40 new armor sets with returning equipment not counted in that number.
  • 60 minutes of cutscenes, mostly in engine, rather than pre-rendered.
  • There will be around 12 areas in the game.
  • Will change the way you interact with players online. You’ll now participate in “Sacrifice Ceremonies.” You can drag bodies around, choose where to sacrifice them, perform the ritual, and visit another player’s game. Doing this makes you a target for other players. These will also change your game, such as a sacrifice creating a bonfire at the location you choose to sacrifice the body.
  • Light sources and enemy layouts have been changed.
  • Boss battles have a new “Heat Up” factor that “completely change” boss battles based on undescribed factors.
  • The game will add “Sword Fighting Arts,” which including “Rush In” and “Circle.” The former is a sacrifice attack that allows you to dive into an opponent and take damage while delivering a huge hit, while the latter sounds like a dodge move.

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2015/06/dark-souls-iii-first-details-screenshots-leaked#B4sDrxo5aKEe44uJ.99

And here are some screenshots:

HpBpWJ2.png

ELe8BlD.png

ZEcWCKC.png

The rest can be found here:

http://imgur.com/a/6ZZgy

Be warned that the guys in the video are quite annoying.

I cannot watch them.  I tried about 20 minutes ago, and just had to stop a couple of minutes in.  It's the most obnoxious mix of fake enthusiasm and smarm.

So about the only thing I caught before I turned it off was "pc negotiable", which is worrying. 

A thread title after my own heart :tup:

I wouldn't turn my nose up at a PS4 altnating yearly release of dark souls and bloodborne. There's easily another 2-3 games there before I'd get tired of them... depending on quality and how much they would mutate the formula (more the better). DS2 got its hooks into me but it really doesn't hold a candle to the other games in the series/franchise. i hope they do a lot better with DS3

How perfectly audacious!

(I honestly thought Bjorn would be birthing this thread! :) )

2 was my first and only Souls game. It took a while to get into but I spent 120-odd hours with it. I'm embarrassingly shit, yet the multiplayer aspects gave me some of the best gaming experiences in the last decade. But I think I've had enough for a while. If this is still a year out then maybe I'll be game (if I have something it'll play on) but I wager it'll be Bloodborne 2 before I'm ready for more Souls.

(I honestly thought Bjorn would be birthing this thread! :) )

I thought about it, but the pressure was too much. 

THe video looks like a bunch of fake screen shots modified from Dark Souls 1/2. Plus those guys are so incredibly annoying.

THe video looks like a bunch of fake screen shots modified from Dark Souls 1/2. Plus those guys are so incredibly annoying.

Yeah, some screens looks weird, but others look good. I'm not sure, seems like a lot of work for someone to fake these things, but it's stiil possible, people do a lot of crazy things for attention. What I think it's weird is this random youtube channel getting all this info.

What I think it's weird is this random youtube channel getting all this info.

The Know is apparently owned by Rooster Teeth and somewhat popular/reputable?  I cannot fathom why that is the case though.  Perhaps this is a sign that we're all getting old if this is what the kids are into. 

Maybe I'm just used to the internet, but I didn't find them THAT annoying. I'd never watch their show if it wasn't for this, but hey. I've seen worse.

Pewdiepie, for example, is infinitely more annoying to me.

At any rate, those screenshots look nice. The sacrifice thing sounds... well, I don't really get it. But it has me interested. We'll see, I guess! E3's almost here. O:

So nobody's going to mention that the PC release was noted as "negotiable"?

That's slightly worrisome, and quite odd since Dark Souls 2 actually sold better on PC than either the 360 or PS3, as far as i'm aware.

Yeah that worries me, but I'm going wait for more official word than a few bro bros before I get up in arms, so to speak.

So nobody's going to mention that the PC release was noted as "negotiable"?

That's slightly worrisome, and quite odd since Dark Souls 2 actually sold better on PC than either the 360 or PS3, as far as i'm aware.

The theory around other corners of the internet is that they're pointedly holding the door open for another exclusivity and promotion deal with Sony. It's fully possible that the up-front infusion of cash makes for better margins than increased sales in an additional market.

As far as I know, DS2 (pre SotFS) sold at least 1 million copies on PC.  That's pretty significant sales numbers for a From Software game on a single platform and I would be damn surprised to see them turn away from that size of an audience who obviously has a thirst for their games.

As much as I love Dark Souls, I feel that a 3rd one won't do good for the series. Even with Miyazaki back at the helm, I don't know what's left of the dark-fantasy setting stones that's left unturned. 

Basically I worry that after the pure delight that is Bloodborne, going back to the Dark Souls series will ebb the creativity that was in Bloodborne. Dark Souls and Bloodborne were great because they felt new and different. Dark Souls 3 already has set expectations as to it's setting and themes, which already hinders a creative team into thinking a set way, and will suffer for it. Diminishing returns, basically.

As much as I love Dark Souls, I feel that a 3rd one won't do good for the series. Even with Miyazaki back at the helm, I don't know what's left of the dark-fantasy setting stones that's left unturned. 

Basically I worry that after the pure delight that is Bloodborne, going back to the Dark Souls series will ebb the creativity that was in Bloodborne. Dark Souls and Bloodborne were great because they felt new and different. Dark Souls 3 already has set expectations as to it's setting and themes, which already hinders a creative team into thinking a set way, and will suffer for it. Diminishing returns, basically.

I really don't play these games because of their story and lore.  I love the design of their stories, how obtuse they are, the way the community figures out various things.  But that's not really why I play.  I play for the mechanics, to design characters, for co-op and for PvP.  So far, DS2 has done the best job on all those elements, while Bloodborne really took some steps backwards compared to the Souls games.  And there is still significant room for improvement. 

Those things could be refined in a new IP, but I'm fine with it returning to the Souls universe. 

Also, lore-wise, there are some interesting possibilities on where 3 could go.  DS1 was about the forces of Light trying to hold on as their power faded.  DS2 was about what happened when the Dark proliferated across the world (through the shards of Manus' soul).  The third power in the Souls world is that of Chaos, which has only tangentially been looked at.  A third game focusing on it has lots of material to explore.

Am I the only one who jokingly refers to Manus as Manus, The Hand of Fate?

His main weapon is a giant hand! It's too obvious!

The Know is apparently owned by Rooster Teeth and somewhat popular/reputable?  I cannot fathom why that is the case though.  Perhaps this is a sign that we're all getting old if this is what the kids are into. 

Rooster Teeth has been slowly moving away from what I find interesting in internet video. I can only assume that it must be what someone is into. I finally stopped going to Achievement Hunter a couple of months ago, and I have a month's worth of their podcasts sitting on my phone unlistened. That being said, they actually have folks that do real investigative journalism over there, so it's certainly possible it's true.

post-33601-0-28973800-1433881684_thumb.jpg

IGN.COM

Edited to add: I just noticed the subhead of that IGN article is "The fire spreads."  Along with the armor design and some of the other leaked art, the possibility of a game focusing on Chaos seems more likely. 

Some of the context of that suspicion by fans is a connection between the Bed of Chaos in DS1 and the Old Chaos in DS2 (Ivory King DLC), that destroying the Bed of Chaos actually just freed the Chaos to spread faster. 

post-33601-0-49428600-1433882039_thumb.jpg

post-33601-0-08861900-1433882044.jpg

Supposedly Miyazaki is directing this one, which makes me slightly more excited for it but I wonder how the hell he has had time for that. I also heard it's a continuation of DSII lore wise which bums me out :( I have a hard time getting excited about that.

Trailer is up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sMc2bnRc0o

Supposedly Miyazaki is directing this one, which makes me slightly more excited for it but I wonder how the hell he has had time for that. I also heard it's a continuation of DSII lore wise which bums me out :( I have a hard time getting excited about that.

Well, but DS2 is just about how the cycle present in DS1 has been repeating, likely for an eternity. Each of the first two games are just different cycles, which was certainly something that could be gleaned from the first one as well. DS3 is looking to tackle what happens when the cycles finally stop (my guess, at any rate). Each of the first two were about societies that had crumbled, but this looks more like it's an end of times type thing.