The sound was excellent. You could hear the Skypiness shine through with certain hosts, but that's more a result of their mics than anything else.

Thought I'd springboard a few suggestions for future discussions:

-The Big Damn Ghibli Episode

-Food in Anime

-LGBT in Japan

-Episode 2.22: This is (Not) the Evangelion Episode

-Summer Wars is Basically a Perfect Movie

-Osamu Tezuka

-Moe: Threat or Menace?

-How Low Animation Budgets Shaped the Aesthetics of Anime

-"Gender and Its Place in Japanese Media" (or "Why Women in Hentai Always Sound Like They're In Pain")

-Magical Girls

-Anime Influence on Western Media

I've been watching Ninja Slayer recently, that and Inferno Cop might be a good core to build a episode about low budgets on. it's a example of when shows take their limitations and do silly/interesting things with them. With maybe Voices of a Distant Star (I think that's what the damn thing was called anyway will have to check in a mo) rounding it off as a example of something made my one person. Also maybe some talk about shows that notoriously ran out of money.

Side note: everyone recorded the pod locally & then mailed me their recording overall I think the majority of us sounded good.

However I think I have a very bad voice for radio, quite nasal, a problem probably caused by the fact I broke my nose aged 10 by running into a smaller child and my nose colliding with his forehead (almost a reverse head butt) & then running away from the doctor who tried to give me sleeping gas while he reset it (I made it all the way from his office to the car park).

I advocate strongly for the Moecast.

I think the criteria for a Moe show were made clear Blambo, so get ready for some Clannad/K-on marathoning.

I think the criteria for a Moe show were made clear Blambo, so get ready for some Clannad/K-on marathoning.

cl_yotsuba_jpg-magnum.jpg

Now look here Gorm if Blambo isn't climbing battle scarred and shell shocked from the onslaught of a full season of pure moe this isn't gonna work.

Ok maybe it is but I sure do enjoy Blambo in full "this is the worst thing ever mode"

So how about a compromise K-on Movie & Perfect Blue double bill :D

As a less brutal alternative for poor Blambo, the K-On! movie is on Hulu for free.

2286.jpg

EDIT:

Now look here Gorm is Blambo isn't climbing battle scarred and shell shocked from the onslaught of a full season of pure moe this isn't gonna work.

Ok maybe it is but I sure do enjoy Blambo in full "this is the worst thing ever mode"

So how about a compromise K-on Movie & Perfect Blue double bill  :D

That week must have one hell of a theme...

Also I've already watched all of Love Lab, so it's not like I break out in hives when I see moe. I got a pretty bad rash but that's all.

I've been watching Ninja Slayer recently, that and Inferno Cop might be a good core to build a episode about low budgets on. it's a example of when shows take their limitations and do silly/interesting things with them. With maybe Voices of a Distant Star (I think that's what the damn thing was called anyway will have to check in a mo) rounding it off as a example of something made my one person. Also maybe some talk about shows that notoriously ran out of money.

I was actually thinking of things like how robots caught on in a big way because they still looked fine if they were stiffly-animated, how transformation sequences became standard because they fill time with old material, or how voice recording is done after the fact to keep schedules tighter.

If I were to do a western equivalent, I'd personally be talking about things like Hanna-Barbera's complete domination of TV animation for several decades because of their cost-cutting techniques, or all the barely-animated Marvel superhero cartoons in the sixties.

FOLLOW UP:

-"Thanks, Obama-kun: Western Media Influence on Anime"

Side note: everyone recorded the pod locally & then mailed me their recording overall I think the majority of us sounded good.

However I think I have a very bad voice for radio, quite nasal, a problem probably caused by the fact I broke my nose aged 10 by running into a smaller child and my nose colliding with his forehead (almost a reverse head butt) & then running away from the doctor who tried to give me sleeping gas while he reset it (I made it all the way from his office to the car park).

I don't know who you were on the podcast, but no one's voice sounded bad to me. Then again, it's a podcast about nerd stuff so the bar for radio-friendly voices is very low.

Maybe it's also worth it to have an Avatar the Last Airbender discussion, if only to talk about how good it is, why every aesthetic decision made on that show is perfect, why it's the best battle anime, what it takes from anime and what it avoids, why it doesnt feel like a regular anime, why it's good and why it's really good.

Maybe it's also worth it to have an Avatar the Last Airbender discussion, if only to talk about how good it is, why every aesthetic decision made on that show is perfect, why it's the best battle anime, what it takes from anime and what it avoids, why it doesnt feel like a regular anime, why it's good and why it's really good.

ooo I'd be really excited for that episode. Can we also compare it to Legend of Korra and explain why the latter is awful? ^_^

ooo I'd be really excited for that episode. Can we also compare it to Legend of Korra and explain why the latter is awful? ^_^

Korra was certainly a less even show in how it executed on it's storyline than Avatar, but it tried to do things which were more difficult, so personally i forgive it occasionally falling flat on its face for the moments when it succeeds at the more ambitious stuff.

On a more general note there are endless topics going forward. The main thing I think is to try and replicate what makes the main anime thread great, a diverse selection of viewpoints talking about shows, themes, and issues they are passionate about (& i very much hope we will get some more of those people on going forward).

As long as we do that I'm sure everything will be fine.

I would be so down for a Ghibli episode. In my experience I've found almost everyone I've talked to about Ghibli has a different favourite Ghibli film, and interesting reasons why. 

Another idea: "The Worst Anime You've Ever Seen."

I would be so down for a Ghibli episode. In my experience I've found almost everyone I've talked to about Ghibli has a different favourite Ghibli film, and interesting reasons why. 

Mine is My Neighbours The Yamadas, because Isao Takahata is secretly the best director at Ghibli.

Mine is My Neighbours The Yamadas, because Isao Takahata is secretly the best director at Ghibli.

My favorite thing about Ghibli films is the sense of place they give, if it isn't ruined by weird directing and a dumb plot. So that kind of narrows them down to stuff Takahata directed or From Up on Poppy Hill, which has the least common with any other Miyazaki joint to date and is probably my favorite Ghibli overall next to Only Yesterday or Princess Kaguya.

Miyazaki's stuff is a weird mixed bag to me. A lot of decisions go into unpredictable, somewhat questionable directions, and the majority of them serve only as a backdrop the the incredible world design and ambient feeling, so much so that when it hits it feels more serendipitous than intentional (except for the Wind Rises and Spirited Away which were really consistent).

Agh now I have to watch every Ghibli film again. There goes my weekend. Consumed by anime.

My favorite thing about Ghibli films is the sense of place they give, if it isn't ruined by weird directing and a dumb plot. So that kind of narrows them down to stuff Takahata directed or From Up on Poppy Hill, which has the least common with any other Miyazaki joint to date and is probably my favorite Ghibli overall next to Only Yesterday or Princess Kaguya.

Miyazaki's stuff is a weird mixed bag to me. A lot of decisions go into unpredictable, somewhat questionable directions, and the majority of them serve only as a backdrop the the incredible world design and ambient feeling, so much so that when it hits it feels more serendipitous than intentional (except for the Wind Rises and Spirited Away which were really consistent).

Agh now I have to watch every Ghibli film again. There goes my weekend. Consumed by anime.

I've only ever seen Ghibli's Miyazaki-directed movies, and I definitely agree that they are all over the place. I absolutely adore everything about Kiki's Delivery Service and Porco Rosso, but some of his other movies like Howl's Moving Castle and Princess Mononoke fall completely flat for me. What I love about Kiki and Porco is the deeply personal nature of the stories and the brilliant use of "magical realism" settings. Watching those movies just feels like hanging out with a really cool person. The plots aren't anything astounding but the characters feel really genuine to me. Ponyo and Totoro are both also really good but I don't think they quite reach the highs that Porco and Kiki do.

(I am restraining myself so hard right now. I could talk about Ghibli for hours/pages.)

(I think I will watch My Neighbours the Yamadas tonight. Maybe Nausicaa too...Heck maybe I should watch Porco Rosso again while I'm at it.)

Korra was certainly a less even show in how it executed on it's storyline than Avatar, but it tried to do things which were more difficult, so personally i forgive it occasionally falling flat on its face for the moments when it succeeds at the more ambitious stuff.

On a more general note there are endless topics going forward. The main thing I think is to try and replicate what makes the main anime thread great, a diverse selection of viewpoints talking about shows, themes, and issues they are passionate about (& i very much hope we will get some more of those people on going forward).

As long as we do that I'm sure everything will be fine.

The tv critic Alan Sepinwall did a post about finishing watcthing the shows with his daughter and said he thought Korra was a better paced show than the last airbender which he felt was dragging it's feet by the middle of the third season.

It's definitely a faster paced show, but the characters are terribly written in comparison. They're not consistent. They don't learn. They're like walking plot conveniences. I don't have a single character I like on the show at the moment, other than maybe some of the kids, but that's because I can't blame them as easily for being annoying.

They're like walking plot conveniences.

anime.txt

I want to talk more about this but maybe I'll edit this post later.

anime.txt

I want to talk more about this but maybe I'll edit this post later.

Perhaps on a podcast? :)

We're looking to do Time of Eve for the next podcast. If you have important opinions about that anime and would like to share them with the world, let me know!

I have opinions about that anime, but I'd have to rewatch it to be able to talk about it. When are y'all recording? And do my opinions have to be important, or can they just be whatever?

The recording is yet to be decided, but hopefully sooner rather than later! I'm sure we'll put up some doodle poll when the time comes. Your opinions don't have to be important at all, but they're all welcome!

I listened to the 'cast last week and really enjoyed it! My feedback:

Two hours long and four(?) presenters - no wonder it took so long to edit together! Codicier did a good job, though.

Everyone sounded very professional and relaxed.

Only Andy/NinjaSqiurrel sounded tinny/skypey to me, but I could hear what he was saying well enough.

I guess perhaps you don't want to do it on the podcast because it might tie it to these forums too directly, but could you list here which person goes by which handle? Also, I especially want to know who it is that sounds like Kieron Gillen!

Found it interesting that at least one person pronounces it ani-mee rather than ani-may.

I barely know anything about anime, so this might only be my problem, but it felt like a few times you were talking about things being good or bad but not why. For instance, that whole bit where you were talking about powers like the guy with a demon face on his back - you were pretty much just listing stuff that I thought sounded interesting or cool, but laughing at them as if they were self-evidently awful. Plus I felt a couple of times like it might have helped to focus the flow of discussion if the presenters got into the habit of briefly stating their position or thought on something first and then illustrating it. Again, this might be because I'm missing Anime 101 unspoken connections, but sometimes I felt like I was listening to you describe an aspect of a thing without understanding what your point or opinion was.

Very much looking forward to the next one!