nikasaur

Comics Extravaganza - Pow Bang Smash!

Well, looking at it made me feel sick, so... appropriate, I guess.

Joker had been wearing his own cut-off face for a while, right? Him having a daughter feels a bit Spider-Man to me, but then I don't really follow superheroes.

I preferred the old "Joker's Daugther" she looked dumb in a cheesy fun way...

By the way, did anybody else take advantage of Comizology's 700 free issues of Marvel comics? They are nearly all #1 to get you into the series, but thanks to it I discovered Pet Avengers.... which has a Frog Thor.

frogsofcentralpark4.jpg

HUZZAH!

There aren't enough free ongoing comics on there (understandably).  Guardians of the Galaxy Infinite is good though.

Wow for some reason I missed this thread the past few months.

So apparently the Adventure Time comic is super good.  I've been meaning to read it for a while and never doubted I would like it as I love Adventure Time, but it's been nominated for a bunch of Eisners and I didn't expect that.

I started reading the Adventure Time comics just recently, and they're super good. They also have tons of contributions from internet comic peeps, sometimes to surreal effect. It's also really obvious that Ryan North does the writing, because occasionally Dinosaur Comics will just shine through.

ZG5RXsa.jpg

Most pages even have alt text!

Okay, so the Adventure Time comics are secretly an introduction to everyone making interesting comics right now. I can't believe some of the talent that they've gotten hold of to work on this thing. The sheer variety of tones and subjects on display is simply staggering.

7ysBurY.jpg

Bah, Boom Studios has region locked the digital comic... They also blocked Regular Show, which also sucks.

I've been trying to read more Fables since I read the first 30 or so issues way back when, but haven't really kept up at all since then.  The Telltale game has me excited and I'm starting to get into it again, but it's hard when everything else I'm reading is so much more serious (Scalped, 100 Bullets, and Criminal).  A new issue of Chew came out yesterday, so maybe I'll take a break when I pick that up.

I read the first 8 or 9 volumes of Fables, and liked quite a bit of it, but the knowledge that that book just keeps going (I think it's on like the 19th trade now?) is an impediment to me going further with it.  My backlog of comics and books is big enough that the idea of sticking with a series that has no end in sight is just too intimidating.  I'm definitely excited to see Telltale's take on that world, but I'm not sure I'll go back to Fables anytime soon.

I would have to recommend KC Green's comic website Gunshow. Gunshow

It is possibly the funniest webcomic on the internet right now. Possibly.

There's also the incredibly Not Safe For Work webcomic Oglaf, which only does a new strip every Sunday, and you should never visit if you prefer violence to sex. Sex is Oglaf's stock in trade as jokes go. Oglaf

Also, if nobody has posted about the largely defunct Achewood or A Lesson Is Learned But The Damage Is Irreversible, then I recommend them highly to boarders. Possibly two of the most well-written webcomics to ever grace our Interzone.

A Lesson Is Learned But The Damage Is Irreversible

Achewood

I also apologize for the links looking like links, rather than hiding in pretty sentences. I have not forumed long enough.

EDIT: I think I figured it out? You just have to rewrite the link you're given as long as it's still attached to the link address.

Also, since nobody has mentioned the graphic novelist Jason, consider him highly recommended. He makes the most beautifully understated and well plotted comics I've ever read. In The Last Musketeer he manages to tell a story that combines Dumas with Ed Wood and in The Left Bank Gang he turns the famous Paris writers of the 1920's into cartoonists and has them rob a bank together.

jasonheywait-1291318168.jpg

So for some bizarre reason consisting of a combination of being completely wiped out the day of and being stressed out afterwards, I kind of forgot that I bought "Deadpool: Wade Wilson's War" when I was at Ottawa ComicCon earlier this month. (Or last month now, I guess, technically.)

Finally got around to reading it, and it was really entertaining. Nothing extremely groundbreaking or life changing, just a great thing to read to waste some time with a character I adore.

That was pretty neat! Reminded me a lot of Kurt Busiek's Astro City, which also does the whole low-key slice-of-life stories in a wacky superhero world really well.

You guys seem to like superheroes more than I so. Read this.

That was really interesting. It kind of had a bit of a Watchmen vibe to it.

When I started reading and saw the little splotch on Blackwatch's insignia, I thought that maybe it was some kind of subtle nod to Watchmen.

I've been wanting to get Building Stories since it came out, but the $50 price tag always made me get something else instead. I just saw that it's now only $33 on Amazon and I think it's finally time to snag it.

Oh, before I forget...

I would have to recommend KC Green's comic website Gunshow. Gunshow

It is possibly the funniest webcomic on the internet right now. Possibly.

There's also the incredibly Not Safe For Work webcomic Oglaf, which only does a new strip every Sunday, and you should never visit if you prefer violence to sex. Sex is Oglaf's stock in trade as jokes go. Oglaf

Also, if nobody has posted about the largely defunct Achewood or A Lesson Is Learned But The Damage Is Irreversible, then I recommend them highly to boarders. Possibly two of the most well-written webcomics to ever grace our Interzone.

A Lesson Is Learned But The Damage Is Irreversible

Achewood

I also apologize for the links looking like links, rather than hiding in pretty sentences. I have not forumed long enough.

EDIT: I think I figured it out? You just have to rewrite the link you're given as long as it's still attached to the link address.

Also, since nobody has mentioned the graphic novelist Jason, consider him highly recommended. He makes the most beautifully understated and well plotted comics I've ever read. In The Last Musketeer he manages to tell a story that combines Dumas with Ed Wood and in The Left Bank Gang he turns the famous Paris writers of the 1920's into cartoonists and has them rob a bank together.

Gunshow is fantastic. I've been following KC Green since his Jesus And The Man days and he just keeps getting better and better. Oglaf is pretty great, but I've never made a thing out of it for some reason. Achewood rubs me the wrong way though. I've never been able to really get into the comic, which is fine, but Onstad was pulling weird fundraiser scams long before Kickstarter was a thing. The only work of Jason's that I've read were Hey, Wait... and his contributions to Flight, which I thought were good enough, but I never really bothered to look into any more.

I've been wanting to get Building Stories since it came out, but the $50 price tag always made me get something else instead. I just saw that it's now only $33 on Amazon and I think it's finally time to snag it.

I've got that, but it's been sitting on the shelf shrink-wrapped for ages. I feel like I need a whole day to dedicate to it!

HEY FOLKS!
The Sleep of Reason Kickstarter is a thing, finally!

tumblr_mmypfnefmI1rrqne4o1_1280.jpg

Spike Trotman of Templar Arizona fame is putting it all together:

The Sleep of Reason is a 360-page black-and-white anthology of horror comics for mature readers. Inspired by likes of Taboo, Uzumaki and Black Hole, this collection is devoid of the familiar by design. There are no garden-variety monsters in The Sleep of Reason; no well-worn terrors from film and television. This is an anthology of comics that strive to inspire unparalleled dread.

Some awesome people are in it, check out that list (Lety and myself as well, in our first ever collaboration)! I took a peek at some of the stories that are gonna be in it (and, well, we made a really awesome one to add to the pile) and I can assure you this will be a thoroughly badass collection, not to be missed if you're even remotely interested in this kind of stuff.

Oh wow, those are some major names in that anthology Stevan. Congratulations to you two!

I don't have a job at the moment, but I think I can give the money even if I don't find one in a couple of weeks :).