I completely missed Rock Band the first time round. However, just before Xmas '13 £25 on eBay got me the Beatles bass, mic and drum kit set for Wii which I supplemented with the Gretch guitar and boom! I was knee deep in plastic and DLC.

And now my Wii is essentially a Rock Band machine. It's a shame the Wii is a cul-de-sac in terms of this announcement, but it's understandable. Interested to see what new slant they can bring to it. Here's to playing this in 2020!

More details here: http://forums.harmonixmusic.com/discussion/257486/were-ready-for-our-encore-rock-band-4-coming-2015

Sadly I own 500+ songs on my 360, and cross-platform DLC is not entirely in their control apparently.

There's also no Pro support apart from Drums, and Keys have been removed. I'm not so bothered by the lack of pro support, but it's sad to see keys are going.

I'll probably have to pick up another barrage of plastic instruments again. Hopefully they'll have nicer gear bundled with RB4, which they're planning to announce at PAX.

Rad! I'm probably dumb to hope for a PC release, huh? My beat bet is it coming out on the Wii U, and even that seems weirdly unlikely.

Rad! I'm probably dumb to hope for a PC release, huh? My beat bet is it coming out on the Wii U, and even that seems weirdly unlikely.

Not necessarily:

“We found that most of our players were on Xbox 360 and PS3, so it was easy for us to make the logical leap to the new consoles. There are challenges to bringing Rock Band to a PC, so it’s not in our plans at the moment. Same answer for Wii U, it’s not in our plans right now. It’s not out of the question, though, we’d obviously love to have Rock Band on as many platforms as is reasonable, and where there’s demand.”

From here: http://www.godisageek.com/2015/03/rock-band-4-announced/

I'd kill for a PC release.  I'd probably still play RB if I had it on PC, and not 360. 

Nice to know they're going to at least try to get my Ion drum kit working on the new systems. I actually went to ebay and bought a RB2 guitar as my old one broke, and haven't had the chance to use it yet. This sounds like a good excuse to get the band back together.

I don't see why they wouldn't be able to, Lab zero managed to make arcade sticks for the PS3 compatible for the PS4.

It'll probably be easy on PS4 since they always used an external dongle for the PS3 instruments. The 360 and XB1 are going to be much tricker since they used the Xbox 360 wireless controller standard and that stuff is all different for the XB1. I'd guess the only option would be some sort of 360 controller dongle. Maybe they can just use the one that already exists for PCs.

My Ion kit is regular USB thankfully, so I expect it'll be pretty easy. Just to keep expectations tempered, they do say this in the FAQ:

Q: Will my old hardware work?

A: We’re already working closely with Mad Catz, Sony, and Microsoft on solutions for letting you use legacy hardware on new consoles. This is a challenge on both the software side and hardware side, but something we’d love to happen. We’ll have more information on this in the coming months.

I'm liking everything about this so far. It's been awhile and I think I'm ready to jump back in. It kind of sucks that all the hundreds of tracks I have won't transfer over from my 360 to my PS4 but oh well.

Sweet! Except that now that I've transitioned to playing Rocksmith religiously, I wonder how much I'd want to go back. Drums at least will be rad. My ion kit shall be happy.

Harmonix has set up a request page for songs you'd like to see in Rockband 4.

If I had any music taste, I'm sure I'll request something wicked. But all I'm drawing are Grateful Dead songs. :/

My college roommate and longtime friend recently got hired at Harmonix, so I'm having fun flooding this form with all of our favorite songs in the hopes that he's also advocating them from the inside.

They got rid of the keytar, otherwise I'd just be spamming it with Abba. 

Shiiit, this game is released in a fortnight.

So, what should I do? I'm kinda fucked either way at shilling out £200+ just to play this game. Currently I own a PS4. All my DLC from the past 3 games (about 500+), as well as instruments are on the 360. So it's either buy an Xbone + the game, which will be around £300 for the console, plus £60 for the game + 360 controller adapter, or spent £220 for the game on the ps4, then the extra £30 something for the extra guitar controller (because the band-in-a-box only has one guitar), and then the god-knows how much money to slowly buy back all the previous DLC I owned on the 360.

I think this is why I won't be getting this game. I feel this might be the same for a lot of people who moved over to the ps4 this gen. Which is a real shame.

I am sort of in the same situation. Had a 360, now mostly play on PC, but if buying a new console I would lean toward PS4 because of the PS+/cross-buy game library I've inadvertently built up. Right now, getting Rock Band 4 would cost me like $400, so I'm just planning to wait for a price drop or two on the XB1, or maybe a black friday sale. (though I might go ahead and pick up the old instrument adapter dongle in case they stop producing them)

I mean, there's the same thing on Xbone now (called games for gold or something lame like that), but even then, that's another subscription I'm not willing to pay for. And I don't want another box under my TV too.

Ultimately I'm just upset that I'm going to have to pay so much more for a game that isn't that thematically different from 2, and even more upset that just due to the high price-point, I won't be playing a game that I loved so so much last gen. It is probably my most played game series.

Looking into it a bit further, it doesn't even look like they're going to release all 2000+ songs at release. So I probably won't be able to play all my Grateful Dead songs straight away any-ways.

I didn't think that they might not re-print the dongle. Good idea. I guess I'll pick one up at Christmas or something. :/

Games with Gold doesn't have quite as good of games as PS+, but it's been all right. Backwards compatibility might make the difference for you? I know that's what I was holding out for (until I got one for Christmas at least.)

Personally, it hurts, but I've got to speak with my wallet on this one. I have an Ion drumkit and I'm not going back to the crappy default RB4 one. I'm not buying until they can provide a solution for me, even if I have to pay extra for a wireless box or something.

So, what should I do? I'm kinda fucked either way at shilling out £200+ just to play this game. Currently I own a PS4. All my DLC from the past 3 games (about 500+), as well as instruments are on the 360. So it's either buy an Xbone + the game, which will be around £300 for the console, plus £60 for the game + 360 controller adapter, or spent £220 for the game on the ps4, then the extra £30 something for the extra guitar controller (because the band-in-a-box only has one guitar), and then the god-knows how much money to slowly buy back all the previous DLC I owned on the 360.

That sounds like a nightmare! Personally, if I had the money, I'd buy the cheapest second-hand, beaten-up Xbone I could find and just have it be my Rock Band machine. It reduces the clutter of having two sets of equipment, you don't have to re-buy your DLC, and you've also then got an Xbone for the very occasional juicy exclusive.

I had no idea this was out so soon! I'm excited for it but the price tag is a little high so sadly I may have to wait until December unless there's a good black Friday deal.