Sign in to follow this  
melmer

THE EVIL WITHIN: Slurms MacKenzie

I've been dipping in and out of the impression thread of gaf. Seems stealth is a very viable option with one person saying they managed to sneak through an entire chapter (although i don't know if that meant sneaking past enemies or sneaking up behind them and doing stealth kills)

I pleased that this game is giving you the option of both Stealth and attack, giving me all the options so i can roll play how i would approach that situation in real life (whatever you know what i mean)

Something which really annoyed me when i played outlast was not being given the tools to fight back. This game has the now standard "hide inside locker" mechanic, but also the 'bop them on the snoze' mechanic

Ah man it arrived when I got back home! :tommy:

4 DVD's of useless as I typed the product code into steam and activated it. It seriously felt like a huge waste. But I can't complain as I got it for like £23.

It's also 50GB big! :campbell:

One cool thing about the game box is that it has a reversible cover that has a lovely grindhouse-esq cover. It looks sweet.

(am I doing these emoticons right guys?)

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

that's a long ass loading time

Terrible acting. This. Is not. How. Human beings. Speak.

Why is the female detective wearing jeans and sick inch killer heels

Why don't they give a shit that it's pouring down with rain?

In 2014 this shit is crazy to me. GIVE THEM AN UMBRELLA

Looks pretty though :tup:

Got through the first few hours and I'm loving it, also Bethesda were clearly bullshitting with the system requirements, I'm running on a 570gtx and maxing out most of it, at 1080p, without any AA though. 

That would have been a pretty decent Resi reference too! I wonder why they didn't do it..

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

that's a long ass loading time

Terrible acting. This. Is not. How. Human beings. Speak.

Why is the female detective wearing jeans and sick inch killer heels

Looks pretty though :tup:

I don't really disagree with the bad acting part, but I have a high tolerance for that (loving SH2 and all). It's weird and kind of janky at times, but also so damn tense which is enough for me to be entertained.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10154764904815389&l=1582585594050152475

Witness me trying to figure out what flies in the evil within (whilst being utterly terrible at it)

thats the first proper enermy encounter, I'm a lot better now and have cleared that whole section.

Just learning stuff like how close you can get to someone with out having to do the mega slow creep. All melee attacks are utterly pointless. You can't push enemies in to fire... Actually on this one. Don't put bonfires in your game as set dressing when fire is a game mechanic. This fire is different to that fire because video games

I am shocked that you do not look exactly like your avatar pic Mington. I don't know what to believe now. My world is in disarray.

I just got this game on PC and so far I'm intrigued by it. I like the widescreen cinematic vibe and visuals as well as sound design. I got headphones on and playing in the dark. It's pretty spooky. It feels more like Silent Hill than Resident Evil so far but that's okay. I'm liking it.

So people are upset about the letterboxing. It does that to force a specific aspect ratio right? Because if that's the case that's pretty rad and would be hilarious if the mods 'fixing' it were equivalent to a shitty home video full screen release...

So people are upset about the letterboxing. It does that to force a specific aspect ratio right? Because if that's the case that's pretty rad and would be hilarious if the mods 'fixing' it were equivalent to a shitty home video full screen release...

Except the way i've heard it is that if you have a super widescreen monitor of the aspect ratio it is theoretically trying to display in, you apparently not only end up with the bars at the top and bottom, but bars on the sides too.

I think i remember hearing about some similar issues with the earliest PC port for RE4, because that game also did a similar kind of faux-letterboxing thing.

The widescreen thing is actually the thing I find most appealing about this game. Going back to my projectionist days, I just found horror to be way more effective in the Cinemascope format (a 2.35:1 ratio as opposed to a "Flat" lens, which delivers 1.85:1, or the standard of a widescreen TV). Most of my favourite scary movies have the exact same letterboxing on a normal TV because they're presented in that ratio. As a stylistic choice, I think it's an awesome one and really helps capture what they want to convey. Unfortunately, if what Sno is saying about the bars on the sides is true, it's much less cool. Watching videos, I noticed the subtitles were still appearing in the blacked out lower portion of the screen, so it would appear from that that the game is still running in 1.85 and only showing the 2.35 parts of the screen. Honestly, a proper mod "fix" would be one that retains the 'scope format, moves the subtitles up so that they're still within it, and ACTUALLY cuts off the parts that are blacked out so that it's truly running in 'scope.

Halloween, The Thing, Suspiria to name just 3 classic horror films. I guess it depends on where the demarcation of horror and scary is for you ...

I played through a few scenes from Evil Within and wasn't blown away. I found the letter boxing really debilitating, obviously it's meant to feel claustrophobic but I felt it was a similar conceit to the "tank controls" of RE that seems to be retroactively be claimed to increase tension and frustration from the player.

What scary movies are in 2.35:1?

Most big animated, action, or sci-fi releases in the last few years have been 2.35:1 (though because of ~shenanigans~ most of those films are actually 2.39:1 or wider and are just referred to as 2.35:1). Classically, every John Carpenter film and the original Halloween are at least 2.35:1 (IIRC), and for some reason every Bollywood movie since like 1970.

Most big animated, action, or sci-fi releases in the last few years have been 2.35:1 (though because of ~shenanigans~ most of those films are actually 2.39:1 or wider and are just referred to as 2.35:1).

This is getting a bit far afield, but a few of the big blockbusters have also been using variable aspect ratios (switching back and forth between 2.35 and 16:9), which was really distracting the first time I noticed it, but I've come around to quite liking it as each ratio does a better job of conveying scale or emotion in certain scenes.  Dark Knight and Tron Legacy are two off the top of my head that do it. 

I'm curious if the director has given an explanation for this style choice? It feels more claustrophobic and it makes me feel nervous when I'm playing. Was that the intended effect?

This is getting a bit far afield, but a few of the big blockbusters have also been using variable aspect ratios (switching back and forth between 2.35 and 16:9), which was really distracting the first time I noticed it, but I've come around to quite liking it as each ratio does a better job of conveying scale or emotion in certain scenes.  Dark Knight and Tron Legacy are two off the top of my head that do it. 

The only times I ever really got into this was The Incredibles, where the opening interview segment is filmed in 4:3 but the rest of the movie is 16:9. It was a deliberate choice to bring the audience in first as an observer and then as a participant (note also that the public identities of the characters in the interviews are the opposite of their real identities in the film: Bob wants to settle down, Helen wants to stay a superhero, Frozone is a ladies' man).

The Simpsons Movie does a similar thing to transition the characters from TV to film characters.

Not at all related to games: The Incredibles does a lot of really rad stuff with the way that it's filmed that anyone interested in filmography should really look into. My favourite is the way Bob's office is shot: to give it a flat boring look, the camera was pulled back the equivalent of something like a mile and then zoomed in like a sniper scope instead of just positioning it where you'd think it would be. It's a static version of the effect used for the Jaws vertigo shot.

So, got to play a portion of this over the weekend and I am really liking it so far(enough that I think I am going to prioritise it over Alien: Isolation).

There were some really nice touches in the opening encounter that seem to work as a slap in the face.

For example - you see this scary dude and you can sneak up and stab him in the back, but if you do that he will kill you every time. It is like the game is saying 'get your priorities in line with what the game's are'

Other than that I have been doing a lot of running away and hiding - as well as ducking under trip wires so that my enemies run into them instead.

Another thing I liked is that the main character spent a large portion of the time I played limping. This irritated everyone else that I was hot seating with but I thought it was a nice acknowledgement that no other game does this when a player character is significantly injured.

I'm really liking it too. I'm almost 8 hours in on chapter 7, i think i must be close to half way through the game. Just had my first glimpse of safe head

I feel a little nostalgic playing it, the writing/acting and just the general look and feel to everything make it seem like a HD remake of a PS2/Gamecube era survival horror game. But the way it looks and the implementation of stealth mechanics and character upgrades stops it from feeling dated.

The game is super varied which is keeping it interesting and pulling me through. I'm not massively eager to play it for long spells or desperate to get back to it, but, i'm really enjoying the short 1-2 hour session i'm having with it in which i'm always thoroughly immersed in the world. Each chapter throws something different at you, different environments, different play styles. The game starts out really stealth heavy but after chapter 3 the game has been all out carnage (with lots of down time, don't worry). I hope they'll return to the stealth heavy open environment style game play of chapter three as that is where the game really shone for me.

I think i'm being more forgiving then usual and overlooking some occasional bad design as this is one teams vision, a complete package. This game hasn't been designed by comity, no pandering, no balance patching, no DLC or distracting social features. In this day and age its a breath of fresh air.

I'd highly recommend it

Gotta get dat slurms