I have put about 18 hours into it and am loving it so far, has anyone tried the co-op?

I'm super curious if anyone tries co-op, I'll buy the dual pack at some point if it's really good.

You can play co-op but... we didn't like it much and so me and my friend (who bought the double-pack with me) decided to just play on our own. The trailers advertise the co-op, but you definitely don't need to. All it does is split up control of the party. In single-player you'll still have just as many party members as you would in co-op. They are basically the same game, except co-op is a whole lot harder to manage because nobody knows what the other person is doing. Which I just realized I said in my last post. Whoops.

READ THE THREAD PEOPLE GEEZ.

TOO LONG; DIDN'T READ: IT'S GOOD IF BOTH PLAYERS ARE PATIENT AND VERY COMMUNICATIVE AND NOT GOOD IF ONE PLAYER IS IMPATIENT OR ALWAYS WORRYING ABOUT THE OTHER PLAYER BEING IMPATIENT.

THE THREAD IS ALMOST 3 PAGES LONG, WHAT DO YOU EXPECT OF US?! 

I want an essay on the conversational flow of this thread by tomorrow night or you're failing this class, young man.

Heh, it only took me 27 hours to find the air/water and marksman sellers in town! Still no joy on the rogue stuff (but don't tell me). I'm on my third set of characters, and have got them up to level 6. I've got more of a handle on battles now too. Still really enjoying it!

The separate inventory thing is really starting to get to me.  I feel like every time I come across a chest I need to cycle through my characters to open it, and just general inventory management stuff can be a bit frustrating particularly when trying to organize things.  I like the idea in concept but in practice it usually means I've got some busy work to do.  In a couple cases I spent a half hour or so looking for some item that was tucked away in a party member's inventory.  Also it seems like there isn't much benefit to crafting, although I'm still early on so it's hard to say for sure.  Overall I'm enjoying the game, but given how long I've heard it is will probably never finish it.

I've put in about 36 hours now, around 20 of which were with my current dashing duo. Today I made a huge breakthrough in the case, highlighting an area that I'd previously missed... I was wondering why the level jumped up so suddenly :P! One plus point is that my 4 level 8 guys trounced the (pretty large) level 6 welcoming committee!

I came across another little quirk, being unable to complete a quest because someone else had the item... mostly I've been very impressed so far.

I really appreciate the lack of breadcrumb trails and hand holding. In other games, the initial investigation would be a prelude to more wide ranging, probably world-ending peril and maybe take up the first few hours before we think about something else. This way I get to make my own connections, join my own dots while going off and doing seemingly independent activities

I'm at about 40 hours now, I think I am more than halfway through the game, just based on where the level cap is (im level 14, the cap appears to be 20) but I'm not sure at all. I'm still really enjoying it. I also noticed, through talking to other people, that it handles, and has specific dialogue for, doing the story out of order, or skipping parts. That reminds me of when, in Fallout 1, I just stumbled onto the final boss while wandering around the wasteland and ended up cheesing him to death, and unexpectedly beat the game.

Anyway, in Divnity:

I went to visit the white witch before entering the church and killing Braccus in Cyseal, and, though the dialogue around finding the white witch would have changed had I done that first, the game handled it just fine, and let me do it out of order. 

That's not necessarily an incredibly difficult thing to do (though it can get arbitrarily complex but I don't think that is the case here) but I am always pleasantly surprised when that happens. Breaking sequences like that is something that I expect to break a game, not something I expect the game to handle gracefully.

Somewhat related to that, I do also appreciate the lack of breadcrumbs/handholding because it enabled that for me.

This game is shockingly good.

I hate the inventory management.

I will probably never finish this game.

The Church boss is no joke, whoa. 

I will probably never finish this game.

I had read a lot of comments about how insanely hard Braccus Rex boss fight can be. Because of this I feared that I would get completely obliterated and never want to play the game anymore. Turns out I beat it on my first try (!!!) thanks to my amazing skills a couple of good tips. Read only if you are frustrated or don't want to find things out the hard way:

Before the battle:

- Complete most of the side quest first. I was on level 9 when I entered the lair. The bosses are level 8, I think.

- Sell your junk and buy spell books and equipment if you haven't already.

- Fire resistance and ice/water spells/arrows are quite important. 

During the battle:

- Make it rain all the time. Cast the first rain spell before you go talk to Braccus Rex.

- Try to keep Braccus Rex stunned/frozen/knocked out as much as you can. Rain + ice shards worked quite nicely for me.

- Start near the poison blob (east wing) and kill it first. Fire is effective but be careful to stay outside the blast radius.

- Use fire elemental to distract Braccus Rex and the Twins-by-Fire-Joined. Do not attack them with anything fire related because it will only heal them.

- Use ice shards and ice elemental to kill the Twins-by-Fire-Joined.

- Teleport the Baron to the lava created by the corpse of the Twins-by-Fire-Joined to kill him instantly (!).

- Keep Braccus Rex stunned/frozen/knocked out and destroy him using ice shards and ice elemental and water based spells (?).

- Retreat back to the town and heal yourself if you must (I didn't have to).

- Save often.

I had read a lot of comments about how insanely hard Braccus Rex boss fight can be. Because of this I feared that I would get completely obliterated and never want to play the game anymore. Turns out I beat it on my first try (!!!) thanks to my amazing skills a couple of good tips. Read only if you are frustrated or don't want to find things out the hard way:

I actually had a very easy fight with him because I didn't realize I could get to him so I went on with the game and came back later when I was 2 levels higher than he was. Levels make a big difference. It's also really cool that the game let me go on, I'm fairly certain I could have completed the game and never fought him.

one thing that i've found helps a tremendous amount is summons, just to run interference. On fights when I'm outnumbered, or they have archers, i use the spider (geomancer) and skeleton (witch) and spawn them as close to the archers as i can. it prevents them from poison gas / exploding my dudes up front.

I actually had a very easy fight with him because I didn't realize I could get to him so I went on with the game and came back later when I was 2 levels higher than he was. Levels make a big difference. It's also really cool that the game let me go on, I'm fairly certain I could have completed the game and never fought him.

Yeah, it seems like killing him nets you loot, XP and closure on some of the quest stuff, but doesn't actually open up new areas or objectives or anything like that. It's nice that you can complete the quests in more or less any order you want. Then again, because the level plays such a big role in combat you can definitely approach quests in "wrong" order. For example, you are likely to have your ass handed to you if you decide to go north or east when you first arrive to Cyseal.

I hate the inventory management.

It is the worst.

Making generous use of the sorting options helped me a lot. I'd just throw any excess items all on the same person and then go from there. Not ideal, but better than nothing. Wish there was a hotkey to transfer items to different party members.

Also at least you're playing after they added a quest items filter. I didn't even have that. ):

My loremaster is also a weak-backed archer and crafter which means that I have to use her to collect all the items, identify the armors and weapons and so on and then send them to appropriate character only to realize that they already have better gear. Jahan is the blacksmith so I send all the stuff that needs repairing to him. An so on..

Selling stuff is pretty painful as well with separate money stacks and inventories. I haven't even bothered checking whether one of my characters has significantly higher bartering skill (let alone whether I can temporarily boost it somehow).

Also, what the hell? Loremaster can inspect enemies when pressing 'ctrl'? Agggh..

Yeah things like that are really dumb. I don't know why you can't just identify or repair as long as the guy/gal who does it is in your current party. I can understand restricting if they're off on their own, separated from the person holding the item, but...

As far as bartering goes... I honestly wouldn't worry about it. You get so much gold it doesn't matter. Well... I'm speaking from the position of a in-game kleptomaniac, so that might not hold true for everyone.

Yup, that is my conclusion as well (having stolen almost every painting and gold dish I have managed get my hands on). 

Just beat King Boreas (more like Bore Ass if you ask me). :tmeh:

The game crashes every time it tries to load Cyseal. :tdown:

Anyone else encountered this problem?

I want to play this game, but I with it had controller support. I like to play games on a big screen, and it's weird to play with keyboard and mouse on the couch.

Is anyone here playing this game with a controller (with emulation programs like xpadder, etc.)? Or even playing this on the couch with a setup that doesn't feel very weird or uncomfortable?

I just feel like playing a good RPG for the past few months, even thought about buying a PS4 just to play Diablo 3 with a controller.

I don't know if it's possible to play with a controller. And even if it was, it would be really terrible. This is a CRPG, not a WRPG or an ARPG.

GENRES.

Point is there's a lot more to it than just move and attack. The amount of menu navigation alone, and the way it's handled, make using a controller near-impossible, and definitely bad.

Yeah, I can't imagine playing with a gamepad being enjoyable at all. However, you don't need keyboard that much, which might be of help if you are considering a couch based setup. You occasionally need to press alt or ctrl though, so you can't ignore the keyboard completely.

Though if you had a mouse with lots of buttons, you could set them to do the alt/ctrl for you.

I just realized that this must be like diablo, in which moving is done by point and clicking, and not by actually moving the character with wasd, right? Yeah, it wouldn't be much fun with a controller.

Though if you had a mouse with lots of buttons, you could set them to do the alt/ctrl for you.

That's a really good idea. I need to buy a new wireless mouse, will look for one with lots of buttons, it might help for these kind of games.