Ozzie

Is there a way to delete trading cards on Steam?

Okay, so I'm probably outing my poor impulse control when it comes to sales and bundles here, but I have more than 120 games eligible for Booster Packs.  I check every couple of weeks to see if cards have been added to any games I already own, and then make sure to download and fire those games up for a bit to get the cards and be eligible. 

My wife's account on the other hand has 22 pack eligible games.  Her account definitely gets fewer packs than my account, but they do still pop up on a regular basis.  I've had a tendency when I get duplicate games from bundles that have cards I throw them on her account just to get a few more cards. 

I'm Steam level...18 or so?  So I only have the first pack drop bonus.  Her account is still less than level 10, so she doesn't have any bonuses. 

This is fascinating because I have not gotten a pack once despite having six games eligible for booster packs. I see the system as 'buy an expanded friends list, except you have to match cards instead of just buying a friends list expansion. Here, play a game for two hours and we'll give you a start!'

That part is pretty weird, I agree. But personally I just like 1) The act of collecting the cards and 2) The meaningless but fun emoticons you get when crafting a badge.

I'm level 50. I don't pay much attention to how often I can booster packs. So far I think it's best to unwrap the packs, because you might get a foil card.

I've always just sold the packs when they come in, but maybe I should open them next time. I don't seem to get them every often, despite having 50-ish eligible games on my list. I've been idling a few games every once in a while to clean up any un-claimed cars so I can sell them all at the start of the christmas sale for an extra few cents a card.

Wait, I had no idea you can only get one booster pack drop a week, I could swear I got two drops in one week once.

Huh. So I checked and I have 20 games currently eligible for booster packs. I've only ever received one.

I wouldn't mind just meaninglessly increasing a number on my profile, but it (intentionally, of course) is impossible/very difficult to get a complete set of any cards without trading or buying, and that part of it I have no interest in, so my inventory just collects cards that just sit there, because I don't want to go through the motions to sell them (and most of them would net me only $0.01 anyway). It would be neat to have an opt-out of trading cards, or something to automatically put them up on the market at whatever the last selling price was. 

Actually I suppose I could make something to do that. Maybe I will.

Cards are generally worth .05 to .10 a piece, depending on the number of cards in the set and how popular the game is. Rather than bothering with trading I usually try to sell 2 buy 1 for the games I really like.

Disclaimer - this is not a wildly generous offer. If this is distasteful, feel free to ignore.

If you guys have cards/items you don't want to mess with, I'd be happy to take them off your hands. I could do a flat rate of $0.05 per card and buy some DLC or a cheap game for you in exchange, if you want. I still think it'd be so much more worthwhile for you to just sell them in the market, but if you're literally just going to give them to Trashbot or keep them in your inventory forever without using them, I figured I should at least put out the offer.

Just to note that JonCole's offer is almost certainly a better use for them than Trashbotting the cards, as you can almost guarantee that any Tb donations of value will be scooped up and sold on.

Hence why it tends to be used for disposing of generally less exploitable coupons instead.

I get the feeling it's currently at the mercy of other bot programs that hoover up whatever's dropped there anyway, hence the extremely low inventory...