clyde

Amateur Game Making Night

I want to hear about it. I am interested.

I sent you a private message, I don't want to bore everyone with my potentially stupid idea.

What's the point of making a thread like this if we don't share all our shit?!

So if this is a thing, is it a game jam or something? A hub for looking for people to help on working on a game?

OK!

I dunno if we should make this thread into a "look at what I'm working on" thread, but here's stuff

I'm fiddling with an engine for a game with hotline miami combat mechanics in gamemaker. I've added rolling and knives that stick to walls, and some rudimentary AI that circles you and tries to stab you. I'm not sure what I'm gonna make of it but it's fun to muck around in

lANjwMi.gif

iKpEJANLMCcLg.gif

ibt8jnYtD5xOQL.gif

Sorry for huge gifs

So if this is a thing, is it a game jam or something? A hub for looking for people to help on working on a game?

This is the big question. What do we need to get rolling?

OK!

I'm fiddling with an engine for a game with hotline miami combat mechanics in gamemaker. I've added rolling and knives that stick to walls, and some rudimentary AI that circles you and tries to stab you. I'm not sure what I'm gonna make of it but it's fun to muck around in

lANjwMi.gif

iKpEJANLMCcLg.gif

I have an idea, have you thought of a systems driven multiplayer game where two people try to steal art? I had a design doc written out but could never get the engine working the way I wanted.

This is the big question. What do we need to get rolling?

I think we should have a big skype call or something set up on night and talk about games we wanna make, pitch some ideas, then go from there?

From what I see going on right now, this is a place for people looking for help on a game. Which I'm ok with, not sure if I could personally handle a game jam.

I think we should have a big skype call or something set up on night and talk about games we wanna make, pitch some ideas, then go from there?

We got that Mumble room.  :eyebrow:

@impossidog: Actually I've tried to implement multiplayer in the engine, using a bunch of plugins and even Gamemaker's built in functions, but I'd have to refactor the weapons system to sync easily for all players. I eventually ran into a lot of the same problems that messhof did during the development of nidhogg, where you had to make all objects in the game react to a controller that rolls back previous states to prevent asynchronous clients, and I figured that problem was waaaay out of my skill level to solve

But that sounds like a cool idea. If there's a way to warp the design into a single player game my work might be a little useful

@everyone:

Totally recommend a google hangout instead

@impossidog: Actually I've tried to implement multiplayer in the engine, using a bunch of plugins and even Gamemaker's built in functions, but I'd have to refactor the weapons system to sync easily for all players. I eventually ran into a lot of the same problems that messhof did during the development of nidhogg, where you had to make all objects in the game react to a controller that rolls back previous states to prevent asynchronous clients, and I figured that problem was waaaay out of my skill level to solve

But that sounds like a cool idea. If there's a way to warp the design into a single player game my work might be a little useful

@everyone:

Totally recommend a google hangout instead

Well I think the best way to implement the multiplayer would just do local, or at least the seems the easy solution. As far as I know if you are doing local multiplayer there would only be one game state running? But I think you engine would work great with some of the things I have designed.

Also a Google hangout would be pretty rad. We may need to use mumble based on how many people want to be in the call?

Google hangouts are best used by about 10 to 15 people. If you have a google account you can just drop in and out of a call, which runs in a browser and uses a single URL even if there's no one in the call. I'll try to figure it out

@impossidog: my engine uses mouse/keyboard, so local multiplayer would require twinstick controls with an xbox controller or some keyboard solution.

Google hangouts are best used by about 10 to 15 people. If you have a google account you can just drop in and out of a call, which runs in a browser and uses a single URL even if there's no one in the call. I'll try to figure it out

@impossidog: my engine uses mouse/keyboard, so local multiplayer would require twinstick controls with an xbox controller or some keyboard solution.

Oh yes, hm. Have you considered a non lethal based stealth game with your engine?

I'd rather use mumble, tbh. It's easier to just set up and can hold more people.

I've actually been thinking of making a game in that vein with some friends at this game design club here at my university. We were thinking of making it into a stealth game with the perspective and some of the mechanics from Hotline Miami, but being as a whole more like Deus Ex and/or Thief, in terms of level design, emergent gameplay, tool sets, systems, and mechanics.

We also made a little dumb game for this Halloween kid event here in Bloomington. It was based off on our stealth game top down idea, so I made some sprites. Try to guess what zombie related video game character some of my sprites are inspired from! I had some female character sprites I was working on, but I didn't get to make them unfortunately. 

xrUrqbA.pngP01KmU7.pngJsNtuvz.pngTL1oyNW.pngpomDiAL.pngSHFYDfj.png

iksleTO.gif

From left to right:

Chris Redfield from Resident Evil, Glenn from Walking Dead, Lee from Walking Dead, Nick from Dead Rising 3, and Omid from Walking Dead.

Oh yes, hm. Have you considered a non lethal based stealth game with your engine?

What have you got in mind?

I have been thinking about something that's got violence, but used in quick bursts. The player's put in levels full of AI and you have to find a specific person to kill while avoiding anyone trying to kill you. I'm pretty bad at game design but it's an idea, haha.

@Cine I think you guys could make a great stealth game with the Hotline Miami style, you should also look to Gunpoint and Mark Of The Ninja as examples of great 2D-stealth design.

Stealth games are all about tools and information.

Here's a game I made a few months ago called Journey of Fate. It's a game in the sense that it uses the vocabulary and tropes of rpg/adventure games, but it's not a game in the sense that it allows user input or interaction. Really, it's an experiment in procedurally generated narrative.

There are four characters who you can encounter, and the order in which you meet them determines the interactions that you will have with them. That order is determined randomly when you start up the game. The dialogue is intentionally awkward and goofy right now because this was sort of a mock-up for an idea. Ideally, I'd have someone who can actually write help me out.

I'm sure there are a few glitches that I haven't caught yet, but the game seems to work OK for me. I consider it a work in progress, because there's a lot that I could streamline (especially now that I know a bit more about programming), but I haven't gotten around to smoothing out the rough edges yet.

Oh yeah, and because I wrote it in Processing, you'll need to have the latest version of Java installed to play it. Everyone loves installing Java, right? If anyone knows a better way of compiling code, please let me know.

Screenshot:

jofscreen.jpg?attredirects=0

Mac Version

Windows Version

I've been playing around in Game Maker and have got a little pixel dude walking around with a 3 frame walk animation. It's clear that to progress much further I'm going to need gml so I printed out a guide last week. Long way to go, but it's great to see others around doing similar things.

You could run it in-browser using Processing.js, apparently. Worth a look!

Thanks! I played around with it a bit, but I could only get it to work with programs that don't use custom assets. This would be a great way to do it, but I think I need to figure out javascript and html first.

My plan is to use Game Maker to have a circle of characters that clap during a song and take turns going into the middle. The player won't have a choice of who goes into the middle, but once they do, the player will be able to press buttons to make them use certain animations. I'm wanting it to be really choppy and simple. I'd like to use something that sounds like upbeat, greek, folky dance-music from the mid to late 20th century, but I imagine that switching out song tracks won't be hard. I might eventually add something at the beginning or end of the song that establishes place. Ideally, I'd like the game to choose a random circumstance, all of which will have to be authored. For instance, two of the characters appear on the screen and one says "This is the best wedding ever!" Another example might be two characters appearing on the screen and one saying "Let's just dance all night and forget about Alex."

Here are some of the character designs:

http://doodle-plans.tumblr.com/post/75481450586

Sounds awesome! If you need any help from someone with little to no experience in making games, I'm your man.

edit: Your description of the music sort of reminds me of this song that I wrote a long time ago for fun. It's probably not exactly what you're looking for (I guess I was a fan of cheesy midi instruments back then), but I thought I'd post it to get some ideas flowing!