Sign in to follow this  
jmbossy

I want to learn how to games.

Give it everything you've got. One bit of advice I can give; if you're at the point in your life where you have a little extra time on your hands, please realize that every minute of spare time you have is precious! Spend it on learning software and doing what you're passionate about. 

I'm 27 now and I've been working in animation / motion graphics for almost 4 years, and I really wish that I'd gotten started on honing my skills earlier. Now I never have time to work on the things I've really come to care about (responsibility sucks!). 

The reason I say this all is because I'm only realizing now that game development is something I've dipped my toes into and am incredibly passionate about (more so than the animation), and I'm starting to regret that I didn't get my ducks in order at a time when it would have really benefited me. So, prioritize and dig deep! 

Huh. By that chart I just died for the first time, and that ENTIRE life was spent in university. On to life 2, I suppose!

I know it's supposed to be inspiring, or whatever, but now I feel like I'm just going to waste multiple lifetimes, instead of just one, like I originally planned.

Hah, definitely. But at least you'll eventually not waste one? Maybe?

now I feel like I'm just going to waste multiple lifetimes, instead of just one, like I originally planned.

I kind of want that on a shirt...

Well, you can get it as a poster?

I still think you should go do a video game development course!

lol kidding

I'm intention with my original comment is that you need to throw yourself into it. If you just do it half assed it'll never amount to anything.

12 years ago I really got into the half life editor. But when I started my bullshit 3d computer animation degree it completely killed it for me and I lost all interest. If I had end up doing a normally degree I probably would have carried on tinkering in game editors and then who knows what would've happened??? I know times have changed radically but didn't Steve Gaynor get his first job through building level in a game editor.

Also, I think connections are super super important. Start networking now! Whatever that means

Have you said whether you want to build you own indie game or are you looking to get a job at a development studio?

What the hell will video games be in 5 - 10 years time anyway :-/

Don't get me wrong, QA is a fine job (in a different industry or on a tiny team) but the days of it being the mailroom of games is over.

But no one likes QA.

QA was fine when you worked with the team whose games you where testing. Now you're in some publisher barn working on a different game every other week 12 hours a day as a replaceable cog, trying to prove you're worth keeping in favor of 10 people in India for the same money.

:(

I know it's supposed to be inspiring, or whatever, but now I feel like I'm just going to waste multiple lifetimes, instead of just one, like I originally planned.

Haha, this speaks way more to me than the message in the original comic.

QA was fine when you worked with the team whose games you where testing. 

Yeah, that's what my QA Lead says as well. Publisher QA = Hell, Studio QA= Quite nice :P

I just read that Unity 4.3 is going to have native 2D support, and got super goddamn excited, even though it's not out, yet. So tomorrow I'm going to start making a game in Unity, even though I won't have access to the 2D stuff, yet. I can always port it over later. I'll probably use Ragepixel, even though I've heard it's woefully simple, because all I want to make is a woefully simple prototype or twenty.

So what I'm saying is, get excited, and then Do It. That's how game!

update;

I've been working alot in GM. I think it has a much more approachable interface. And I can do my own art so that helps.

Thanks again for all the help guys :)

Man, really? I couldn't stand Game Maker when I tried it. But that might be because I have a programming background.

Game Maker is what really got me started. It was easy enough to use for simple 2D games, and if need be you could always start using the GML (Game Maker Language) to do some more advanced stuff.

Also it was (before I was in highschool, at any rate) free to use, so that was a plus. And true, it doesn't prepare you at all for 3D stuff, but... if you're just starting out, maybe you don't want to get into the nitty gritty stuff right away.

If anyone is still interested in trying GameMaker, the Standard Edition of GameMaker Studio is now available as a free upgrade for a limited time.  It normally costs $50 for the standard version and has more features than the free version.  In addition to that, the Professional version is also being discounted to a $50 upgrade instead of the normal $100.  To get the free upgrade, download or update to the latest version of GameMaker studio and run the program.

I just read that Unity 4.3 is going to have native 2D support, and got super goddamn excited, even though it's not out, yet. So tomorrow I'm going to start making a game in Unity, even though I won't have access to the 2D stuff, yet. I can always port it over later. I'll probably use Ragepixel, even though I've heard it's woefully simple, because all I want to make is a woefully simple prototype or twenty.

So what I'm saying is, get excited, and then Do It. That's how game!

Just adding that Unity 4.3 is out now.

...I haven't used it yet.

If anyone is still interested in trying GameMaker, the Standard Edition of GameMaker Studio is now available as a free upgrade for a limited time.  It normally costs $50 for the standard version and has more features than the free version.  In addition to that, the Profession version is also being discounted to a $50 upgrade instead of the normal $100.  To get the free upgrade, download or update to the latest version of GameMaker studio and run the program.

You need to "subscribe" to the beta update channel though! I got stuck for a while trying to figure that one out. 

Thanks. I saw that on Ploygon, but I didn't realize I had to subscribe to the beta channel.