Sign in to follow this  
Zeusthecat

Who's the biggest nerd?

I saw an exchange in another thread about who was nerdier and it was inspiring. So I am starting a dedicated nerd cred thread (damn, I feel like Dr. Seuss). 

Why I'm the biggest nerd:

• I have the whole DragonBall Z collection and have watched it through several times
  • I have a sweet ass video game collection
  • I'm good at math and enjoy solving math problems
  • I'm an electrical engineer
  • I've had lengthy discussions with co-workers and people here on which is the best/worst Pixar movie.
  • I've also had lengthy discussions about why Dash Rendar is a douchebag followed by a ping pong match to ultimately settle the debate
  • Whenever I browse Netflix I almost always put on documentaries
  • The few times I've worn a watch it's been a calculator watch
  • I still like reading Where's Waldo books
  • I created a thread where people can boast about their nerdiness

I saw an exchange in another thread about who was nerdier and it was inspiring.

Was that me in the Broken Age thread?  If not, I find the timing of this thread suspicious.

I won't compete for title of biggest nerd, but here are some of my credentials

• 3 of the shows on my Netflix instant queue are Star Trek
  • I bought a 3DS to take to PAX
  • I bought a backpack with a built in battery to take to PAX
  • I went to PAX
  • I went to Carnegie Mellon University
  • I am an electrical engineer who works at a nuclear power plant
  • I once had an argument about the breaking strength of Gundanium that led to a broken Gundam figure
  • I know a song about prepositions
  • I know another song about adverbs
  • My record for solving a Rubik's cube is 57 seconds
  • At one point in my life, I owned a calculator watch and a watch with a temperature sensor in it and would alternate wearing them each day of the week
  • I used to drive one of these
  • I'm making this list

• At one point in my life, I owned a calculator watch and a watch with a temperature sensor in it and would alternate wearing them each day of the week

How do you wear a calculator? It sounds like you have a Pocket Protector® confession to make!

• I've also watched DragonBall Z a couple of times, but also watched these series multiple times
    • Simpsons
    • Family Guy
    • South Park
    • Transformers G1
    • And non-cartoons like Red Dwarf, TNG, Sliders, ...
  • I have a big add video games collection, mostly PC though. Steam alone is 370 games. But I also have a whole closet full of games dating back to 1995.
  • I'm ok with math, don't enjoy math puzzles that much
    • But logic and logic puzzles on the other hand
  • I'm a software developer; and I've been programming for 20+ years
  • When I had a watch, it was a Casio Databank model (I think I've had 2 or 3 of them)
  • I watch a lot of movies.
    • I also watch a lot of movies a multiple time s(including Revenge of the Nerds)
  • I posted in a thread about being a nerd, trying to qualify as biggest nerd.
  • I've made my own Debian packages.
    • But I never installed Slackware

But... what defines a nerd?

Was that me in the Broken Age thread?  If not, I find the timing of this thread suspicious.

Yes, it totally was you. That gives you some good nerd cred.

Edit: and elmuerte, Revenge of the Nerds is one of my all time favorites. I've seen that no less than 30 times.

Oh sorry Manz. I thought "calculator watch and watch" was a typo.

There have been too many words in front of my eyes and I have exceeded the day's comprehension quota.

My fiance was making fun of me last night because ever since I started buying DVDs I would make notes of where the easter eggs are in the menus on a small slip of paper and put it inside the case.

That's probably more like sad OCD though.

I think most of my nerdiness is the result of sad OCD. Like for instance, I will need to own DVD versions of everything significant a director I like has made, including music videos. The rule is though there must be at least two music videos on the DVD that are not found on any other compilation set by said director. So because of this I have a DVDs of music videos for Rick Springfield, Paula Abdul, and Madonna because of David Fincher.

I also own a DVD of Jordan Mechner's Chavez Ravine documentary. I remember when watching that my fiance (then girlfriend) said, "What is this?" Then I explain the Chavez Ravine story or whatever is going on on screen. "Why are you watching it?" "Well uh... because the guy who designed Prince of Persia made it..." "You nerd!"

No true nerd would engage in this kind of 'contest' without setting out proper rules, scores, and possibly a PnP roleplaying system that areose from the discussions of the aforementioned.

No true nerd would engage in this kind of 'contest' without setting out proper rules, scores, and possibly a PnP roleplaying system that areose from the discussions of the aforementioned.

A true nerd would never be able to agree on any set of rules or scores and they would constantly be up for debate. And if they ever did agree on a set of rules they wouldn't be true nerds.

That being said, you definitely qualify as a nerd for challenging the validity of this thread.

oh dear I seem to have accidentally scattered my belongings all over my bookshelf

SHNYkHh.jpgc1HYc1s.jpg

Which issue of Nintendo Power was that?

When I used to scour pawn shops for old games I once came across issue number 2 (I think it had Simon Belmont on it) and stupidly didn't buy it. That was truly a great publication for a long time and I subscribed for over a decade.

+100 nerd points for you.

260, celebrating the 25th anniversary of the NES.

Approximately left to right, top to bottom:

3DS XL, Gameboy micro, Drill Dozer cartridge, Yotsuba Revoltech, Revenge of the Fallen Sideways, Ultimate Sandman volumes 1-4, The Art of Osamu Tezuka, Phoenix and Pluto Tezuka Moderno figures, Scott Pilgrim Full colour Odds & Ends 2008 floppy, framed TRON Legacy poster, PS3 controller, PSP go, GP2X Wiz, The Fifth Elephant, DS card case with Soltorobo and Bit.Trip Saga, Club Nintendo Pikmin tote, Club Nintendo starman tote, Men at Arms, Club Nintendo DS 18-Card case, Blacksad (library book), untranslated copy of Osamu Tezuka's Midnight (library book), Pokéwalker, Nintendo Power volume 260, Club Nintendo Hanafuda cards, Xenoblade artbook with Inception totem spinning top resting on it, gold Zelda Wiimote, Club Nintendo gold nunchuk, Batman: The Complete Animated Series DVD discs 9-17, Club Nintendo Platinum playing cards, Giratina figurine, Watchmen coasters, Unico, Cowboy Bebop Remix DVD boxed set, HG Wells 7-novel compilation, Redline Blu-Ray, Scribblenauts pre-order hat, The Complete Calvin & Hobbes, Pokémon cards (Squirtle, Gyrados, and super-rare holofoil Scyther reprint), Gurren Lagann Revoltech, Club Nintendo Platinum statue, tiny Japanese wooden doll thing

I actually had to dig a bunch of that stuff out of my closet. I used to collect a lot of shit until a few years ago and don't actually like most of it now (I actually kind of hate Transformers, for example. I just liked Sideways' design). I've just had a hard time getting rid of all of it.

260, celebrating the 25th anniversary of the NES.

Ah, that was a couple years after I ended my subscription. I think I subscribed from issue 91 through 220ish. I used to go back through my old issues (because I kept all of them) and re-read them. It was kind of cool hearing about the upcoming Legend of Zelda for N64 while playing Mario Sunshine years later.

To add to my nerd cred, every issue of Nintendo power came with a poster and I put every single one on my wall. I eventually filled up every inch of every wall in my room with their posters and had my entire ceiling covered before I ran out of room. I think the first couple posters I got were for The Lost Vikings and Goldeneye 007. And their 100th issue poster was pretty badass too.

I subscribed from 160-ish to 215-ish and just happened to pick up 260 as a one-time thing because I wanted to read their NES retrospective. I totally hung up some of the posters, too.