miffy495

Grand Thumb Auto retro PC edition

WOOOOOOOOOOOO! Things just got about 10x crazier. All of my favourite havoc was 'blix-initiated.

Fucking time zones. Every time.

Okay, I think it's safe to say it's happening 21 fjord time, which is 19 (or 7 PM) UTC – is that enough information to decode? Also, if you check the Idle Thumbs Steam group, it should show the event in your local time. I think I've said correct things here, and not lies.

In other news, I think I've figured out a way to record game audio without voice chat (using software known as Virtual Audio Cable.) I'll do some testing beforehand, but hopefully I'll be able to FRAPS the bejesus out of this thing.

Are we gathering on Mumble or does GTA have its own voice solution?

Mouse and kb or controller???

it will be the gfwl voice so I'd suggest using a separate client. Fuck mumble though

Unfortunately, can't swing 3pm EDT because I'll be at work. Damn. For those of you who do have the opportunity, try to make it - the dozen or so times I joined in on Grand Thumbs Auto back in the day were awesome. I would undoubtedly just jump out of the car in any race mode and troll everyone by shooting out their tires, because hey why not?

Which mods are good for this game?

I won't make today unfortunately thanks to nefarious time zones and me having to work. Next time.

I'll be playing with the controller. Don't know about mods?

Also, why fuck Mumble? It's the chat system I've had the least problems with.

Unfortunately, can't swing 3pm EDT because I'll be at work. Damn. For those of you who do have the opportunity, try to make it - the dozen or so times I joined in on Grand Thumbs Auto back in the day were awesome. I would undoubtedly just jump out of the car in any race mode and troll everyone by shooting out their tires, because hey why not?

Yeah, hoping for a couple of repeat Retro Thumb Autoings as V gets closer.

Which mods are good for this game?

I won't make today unfortunately thanks to nefarious time zones and me having to work. Next time.

Despite minimal GTA modding experience I feel compelled to recommend the Iceglace ENB series, well known for making GTA IV shinier and more colorful, cough

cough (there's a toned-down version called Mild ENB). TreesModIV and the 4.5GB Better City Textures have self-explanatory titles. VisualIV is what I'm using to "improve" my frame rate.

Back up your stuff first obv, in case fiddling with patches and files irritates the Rockstar Social / GFWL / Gaben Police protection layers.

There's a good list at pcgamer.com/2012/12/17/gta-iv-mods/

Also, why fuck Mumble? It's the chat system I've had the least problems with.

I simply don't like it. And it bugged on me when I last used it.

Skype then? I don't care either way.

Also, I expect we'll need to add each other on GfWL before we can play as well.

For maximum cunning, I'm Wrestlevania on both (sorry Miffy).

In the interest of not spending all evening trying to find a chat thing, we'll just decide on the Idle Thumbs Mumble server, as I think it's been tested and works for enough people already.

I'll leave you with PiratePooLu's helpful instructions for getting on Mumble:

edit: Oh, and also I'm now all set for recording the game without voice chat, so I should be able to record a sweet thing maybe.

Mumble
We use mumble for voicechat.                                                                                    
Address: idlethumbs.mumble.com                                                                                                            
Port: 8302                                                                                                                               
Password: wizaaaaaaaard (thats 8 a's)                                                                                    
Don't have mumble? http://sourceforge.n...latest/download DOWNLOAD!

Maybe someone will stream it? I won't, but I'll possibly post the entire thing (sans voice chat) on Youtube aftwards.

Remember to try to get all the Rockstar Club and Games for Windows Live bullshit over with before we start, everyone!

crap.. still need to set up everything. I discovered yesterday that I didn't even download GTAIV yet.

Thanks to toblix' X-Treme generosity, I'm going to be around for this.

ISP might throttle me since I downloaded the game today, but if they do and it's fucking up things for everyone else, I'll bow out and join next week.

Oh god I forgot it was happening, whoops. Hopefully this happens again as I picked up the game and would be stoked to play.