toblix

Fez 2

I haven't read more about this than from this thread, but this made me think of 2 or 3 things.

1)

FEZ II is cancelled.
i am done.
i take the money and i run.
this is as much as i can stomach.
this is isn’t the result of any one thing, but the end of a long, bloody campaign.

you win.

I'm not aware of the exact amounts of shit Phil Fish gets from the internet2, but from the times I've become aware of it, it has seemed that he mostly chooses to interact with those that grief him, rather than focusing his attention to those who do like his games or who can at least behave. I don't know, it must be hard dealing with all that shit, and I didn't know he was bipolar and I don't know what that means exactly. Anyway, the note on the site is definitely addressing the griefers, as if the normal people who actually were looking forward to the game did not exist.

2) Getting so sick of the internet as a raging platform for who are probably teenagers trying to be cool. I think it was Jonathan Blow who tweeted that maybe an open democractic internet isn't really an ideal, considering what it's filled with mostly. I'm starting to see the merit in that point of view.

3) I'm sorry that Phil Fish gets so much shit and that he chose to cancel the game because of it, and hope he finds some way to focus on the good stuff and return.

2) Getting so sick of the internet as a raging platform for who are probably teenagers trying to be cool. I think it was Jonathan Blow who tweeted that maybe an open democractic internet isn't really an ideal, considering what it's filled with mostly. I'm starting to see the merit in that point of view.

This seems silly to me. The whole advantage of the internet is that - unless you are a famous person like Fish - you can choose who you interact with. You can form communities with the people you want to associate with, without anyone telling you when or where. For an excellent example of how one of these communities can turn out to be a great place where mostly-like-minded people can hang out and have intelligent discourse about a variety of things, you may want to check out this cool forum here.

While I don't wish to get too much into the specifics of Fish or online assholes in general, it's worth bearing in mind that it's not too difficult to somewhat insulate yourself from the masses of attention-hungry scumbags out there. You don't have to use social media, and even if you do you don't have to let the entire public pore over your writings — Twitter lets you moderate who follows you so you can still keep in touch with actual friends despite being an e-celebrity.

I mean this is something that well-known figures in the film, TV, and music industries have been doing for years. Unless they have a particularly thick skin, they let PR teams or agents handle the fans. Of course any celebrity is free to dip their toe into the public at any time, but I think it's reasonable to expect potential assholery. I guess because the games industry is still quite immature compared to those other industries, its emerging public figures are still getting to grips with the fact that they are no longer just normal people.

I'm sure many famous people would love to not have countless photographers chasing them and every gossip magazine in the world ripping their personal life to shreds, but that is the choice you make by exposing yourself to the public eye and I think it's only going to get worse as the games industry continues to grow. If you want to be a reclusive character in the industry that's perfectly possible, you just don't get the benefits that can come with fame. And let's make no mistake about it, Fish has consciously pursued fame.

So, was there any more to this story after the initial furore? I checked out Fish's Twitter account and noticed that he's been posting random Vines during the past week or so. Searching Google just brings up all the stuff from a while ago.

Polytron are working on bringing Fez to PS3/PS4/PSVITA. maybe thats all he's working on now... i'm not sure how much work that actually involves or if he has staff doing the work

http://polytroncorporation.com/

If Fez 2 was back on again i'd imagine that 'Fez 2 is cancelled' blog post would get mysteriously taken down

Or Fez 2 may just come out under another name. I had my suspicions that Fez 2 would've been markedly different from the first game, so if i'm right all he would have to do is get rid of the fez, maybe change it to a toupee.

Or Fez 2 may just come out under another name. I had my suspicions that Fez 2 would've been markedly different from the first game, so if i'm right all he would have to do is get rid of the fez, maybe change it to a toupee.

The time for Fedge is now!

People were talking about it in 2013, I assumed it was recent because I didn't clue into the joke.

Yeah, I don't know if something's going on with Fez 2, but I assume the Fedge thing was simply a stab at Tim Langdell* / Edge Games.

* Ahh.. sweet 2009.

Ah man, old Langdell. He seems like such a quaint, distant memory. I wonder what he's up to now — last I heard, he'd been left tied to a chair in EA's van.

Surprised and impressed there's not a single negative comment.

Maybe it just hasn't hit the rounds yet.

Or they're deleting the comments.

I don't care if he makes Fez 2 or not, but I hope Phil Fish returns to designing another game at some point. 

If anything Phil is probably going to make things, not games.

He's one of the few people that understands the cultural place and expressive range of the tech we use, and surprisingly few people have twigged.