melmer

Destiny

Emotes (and silver, by proxy) are up! Currently 18 available for sale at Tess' sleek new booth. Legendary emotes are 500 silver, rares are 200. You have 400 silver to start, and the rest can be purchased in bundles: $5 for 500, $10 for 1100, $20 for 2300. You can still only overwrite Point. You *cannot* double purchase from Tess, purchased items have a checkmark and will just repopulate into your inventory (a la kiosks). There is a separate emote kiosk by the jukebox in da club if you don't want to have "BUY SILVER" flashing at you while you swap out your emotes. Silver shows up next to Legendary Marks on your currency screen, but I cannot remember if there is an additional "buy silver" mouseover there (I don't think so).

Available:

Legendary:

Enthusiastic Dance (The Carlton)
Slow Clap

Rare:

Pumped Up

Blowing A Kiss

Swing

Safe

Booyah

Formal Bow

Bring It On (the Morpheus)

Victory Cheer

Come At Me

Congrats

Oh, Please

Evil Scheme

Cower

Sorrow (Crying on the ground)

Watch Your Back

Tantrum

I am part of the problem, and immediately shelled out $20 and bought Carlton, Slow Clap, Victory Cheer, Congrats, Formal Bow, Bring It On, Sorrow, Pumped Up, Watch Your Back, and Oh, Please.

Geeze man think of all the Rock Band DLC that could've bought. What have you become?!

Don't worry

rockband_zpspfainyjn.png

That problem is still alive and well

I doubt I'll buy any emotes, but I'm cool with them being a thing. The only one I would want, the slow clap, is sadly (and unsurprisingly) more expensive than the free Silver they are giving out.

My real beef with this update is that for some reason they decided to reduce weapon parts from dismantling by 25%. I already have to level up my blues before I dismantle them to just to get by, which is itself a pain in the ass. If, in the near future, they become something I can buy with cash I'm peacing the fuck outta this game.

Your need for weapon parts will only go down as time goes on. That's not to say it's forgivable that they're making the most sparse upgrade material that much more sparse, just that it's only been a problem lately because post-expansion is exactly when you need them the most.

My experience as a new player leveling into the cap and upgrading rapidly is the only resources I have been bottlenecked by are spinmetal and relic iron (likely in part that I did not finish the story quests on Earth and Mars, and thus did not spend even the time needed to play the story missions there). Also legendary marks at first and exotic shards, but I imagine that's a problem that will eventually alleviate itself at some point.

If they make upgrade resources a cash bottleneck they are making a huge fucking mistake, and deserve to die on that sword. I don't think they're that stupid though, and hopefully they can fund their event team selling things I have absolutely no compulsion to buy!

Favorite raid moment so far:

I wanted to make a shorter gif version, but I don't have the know how to do that without having the result be like 30mb.

I had a very similar experience.

If you want to make it into a gif, use http://www.imgur.com/vidgif . If it doesn't accept the youtube URL, put a bunch of spaces on the end and it'll eventually work.

I had a pretty good first day of iron banner, I reached rank 2 1/2 and completed all of the bounties without a lot of trouble. Sadly no really good drops yet but I did get my cloak up to 292.

Silver shows up next to Legendary Marks on your currency screen, but I cannot remember if there is an additional "buy silver" mouseover there (I don't think so).

The cursor pop-up totally has a "Get More!" button press option. I find it incredible that with all the other stupid things they've used for currency and crafting materials they couldn't come up with something better than silver.

Also, 18 emotes and only one is a dance? And premium emotes? Fuck everything.

Sorry if this is cute newbie talk.

Are the downloads for updates always hilarious bullshit?

Many of them are really odd. I think this is in part due to the fact that this is an update to the Taken King, which is an expansion in itself. Lots of downloads were being viewed as downloading the last like... 1% of a 18gb download, which is the exact download size of TTK + this minor update. 

Real talk, if Bungie sticks to promises (haha) and the tradeoff is "Silver exists and pays for dumb cosmetic garbage that chumps like dj will buy, all story expansions are free," I'm okay with this. It's the FFXIV model, and oh dang whoops, looks like I'm extolling the virtues of FFXIV again.

If Bungie pulls off 2-3 Dark Below/House of Wolves-sized expansions a year, with a Destiny 2/Taken King every September or so, I will be happy as a clam. Bonus points if they pull this off without a subscription fee (which would almost assuredly be a deathblow for the game).

As the game ages, things like for-pay level boosters become inevitable, I think. Without them, the wall new players have to scale is just too high. And I think it's llikely we'll soon have shaders, emblems, ships, and sparrows available in exchange for silver. They're all cosmetic and have no bearing on your ability to, as aprettycooldude might say, kill mans.

But I don't think all that means we'll stop paying for expansions. I admit I don't really understand what Bungie meant about ETC purchases supporting the "world events" team or whatever, but I don't think you can replace a few (hundred?) thousand people paying for a season pass or an expansion with surely fewer people shelling out $10 for emotes and whatever else.

I didn't think about level boosters; I wouldn't be surprised to see Sparks of Light (the "Jump To 25" item included with TTK) go on sale for 1,000 silver or something around the time of the next expansion. Similarly, I wouldn't be surprised to see Focused Light Bundles or just straight 50% increase to subclass levels items show up. That skirts the edges of P2W, and is definitely not cosmetic, but it doesn't affect competitive play the way selling exotic unlocks (for example) for bundles of silver would.

The real shocker is that transmog isn't available yet, you'd think they'd have that purchasable out of the gate. I'd be extra-surprised if they didn't do the same thing they did with silver; give everyone one shot for free, and then charge an exorbitant amount ($10-15) to do it again.

It took Blizzard 10 years to hit a point where leveling was anathema enough to the established player base that they offered a "boost to Level X" item. Destiny's already offered it in one year.

The thing is though, the wall to scale doesn't exist for new players. It exists for established players who want a new character. If your game is tuned properly so you have story and content all the way through it, as a new player you should play that content. It's part of the game! It's (presumably) fun and interesting! You get to learn how Destiny works! Yo, have enough patience and self control to wait like TWO DAYS before you raid or whatever. I regret a very small amount using the level 25 booster thing right out of the gate. Even with the bad, weird, convoluted Destiny story, having played those story missions with another character is incredibly enlightening for what the fuck is going on, which is much more satisfying.

e: probably should have said a new player should want to play that content, rather than they should do so.

vvvv Oh man, good idea. There's a reason to hit those story missions. One of my class quests is to max Defender and it's tedious.

I think Bungie primarily shilled the Spark of Light as a "start a new character" for returning players and "get your friends up to your level if you want to play together right away" for newer players.

I'm of the mindset that if I were to roll a new character around the same time as a friend started playing, I would absolutely go through the story again (especially with Nolanbot!). That said, it's also true that grabbing the quests from the "abandoned quest" kiosk is one of the best ways to level a new class, and combined with the Skip Cutscenes function, it takes a lot of the slog out of what used to be an incredibly tedious process.

Anyone have an interest in dipping into the raid this weekend? I told my friend his punishment for goading me into buying a ps4 and Destiny is he had to do the raid with me. I suppose I can put an event up on the 100, but also posting here to gauge interest.

Big ups to remadeking and spork for our successful spindle run last night. Took three (maybe four?) tries, and we finished with about 45 seconds left on the clock. Having a Weapons of Light bubble turned out to be the Difference Maker. I set up a PoE 34 event for tonight; there are three Ultras throughout the sucker, which means three chances for a 3oC to proc (also, strange coins!).

I'm raided out for the time being, I think. I need a week to recharge before diving back in, but next weekend I'd be happy to run with both Crota Today and maybe another group on my Hunter.

Man, the Unlimited Shadowshot exploit is ludicrous. It's all over the Crucible right now, I don't blame them for cancelling Trials of Osiris this week.

3oC doesn't actually improve the exotic chance, it creates an exotic chance that stacks the more you use them. So actually, it's possible to get two exotic drops off the same ultra if you get the super small chance of exotic drop normally plus the 3oC bonus chance.

Sorry I couldn't join you dudes tonight for the nightfall. I was a little pressed for time, and the delay would've had me cutting it a little too close for work.