melmer

Destiny

Ah, ok. I might give that a go some point. I just came to the conclusion that I'm pretty bad at using the Titan's abilities. Either I fluff the aoe ground smash or use it too soon and kill a single shank, or I pop bubble and people complain it's in the way.

Maybe I'd be more suited to the other classes. It's just a shame they look so skinny!

Thanks Jon, I'll let you know. Hopefully I finish the pvp portion tonight or tomorrow.

Would be happy to help sometime; just let me know. Thumbs and Destiny have been very good to me lately, and I feel the need to give something back.

Oh yeah, got to hear a grown man scream last night when aprettycooldude got his first Gjallarhorn from the Nightfall.

Yeah to offset the shitty gear thing I've tried to stockpile blue engrams (and purple for once I hit 20) from my main guy and send them over to the alt every now and then. Not a guarantee to get better stuff but it helps plus it speeds up leveling your cryptarch rank

Would be happy to help sometime; just let me know. Thumbs and Destiny have been very good to me lately, and I feel the need to give something back.

Thanks for the offer! I might take you and Jon up on that if I see you guys on after I get to the final stage of the bounty. I think I still need to add you to my friends list though.

I'm having a really great time working on this Thorn bounty. I only had time to do 3 or 4 PvP matches last night but CussedCayuse was kind enough to join me and watch my back while I was trying to be all sneaky/shitty with my void shotgun. In those few matches I managed to gain another 200 points and am about halfway done with that portion of the bounty. I normally don't use my special or heavy weapons much at all in PvP but since I don't have a void primary I've been having to rely exclusively on those plus my grenades and melee. It's been a little weird getting used to the different play style but I at least managed to keep my K/D ratio between 1 and 1.5 and ended my last match with 19 kills and a 1.36 K/D ratio. And every single one of them was a sweet, delicious void kill.

This has also been my first experience using my Defender subclass in PvP and it is hilarious how many people just can't resist trying to rush in and shotgun me or beat me down. Every single time I drop my bubble near an enemy, they stand outside for a few seconds staring me down and contemplating whether it would be a good idea to join me and without fail they just say "fuck it", charge right in, and get punched into purple void mist while my armor of light keeps me from getting so much as a scratch. And I cackle like a maniac every time. 

Oh yeah, got to hear a grown man scream last night when aprettycooldude got his first Gjallarhorn from the Nightfall.

Man I wish the PS4 saved voice audio so bad. Super thanks to Mike Danger and Jon for this one. Note that we all had exotics drop; guess Omnigul was feeling generous!

I had a blast in PvP yesterday. I'm no where near as bad as I thought. I started out on the Vita since my partner was playing splatoon, and I was dying and never killing anyone, but once I switched back to the PS4 controller, I had a pretty good time. I was amazed at how good I am with the sniper. As in, not absolutely useless with it. 

It's also a really fast way to level. So much faster than PvE. 

I put up a PoE event for tomorrow night. I'm hoping to snap up the armor pieces for my hunter/titan to get them closer to 34, but I'm open to whatever combination of events people want to run.

I had a blast in PvP yesterday. I'm no where near as bad as I thought. I started out on the Vita since my partner was playing splatoon, and I was dying and never killing anyone, but once I switched back to the PS4 controller, I had a pretty good time. I was amazed at how good I am with the sniper. As in, not absolutely useless with it. 

It's also a really fast way to level. So much faster than PvE. 

Yeah, I've definitely been loving PvP in this game lately. As much as I've loved playing BF4 multiplayer, the PvP in Destiny just seems to work better with my playstyle. My K/D ratio is way higher here than in BF4 and I think it's because of the years I spent playing Halo 3 and working with a system that has more mobility and that gives you enough health to actually react to getting shot at. I still really enjoy Battlefield but there there is a lot less room to react to things and maneuver around once someone trains their sights on you.

Last night I had a rapid 10 kill void spree while working on the Thorn bounty and it was just the best. Love PvP.

Today I saw a Red Bull ad outside a 7/11 that said "Power ups for your quests in Destiny" and it sounded like the craziest nonsensical gamer pandering word salad before I remembered that Destiny was the name of a video game.

I haven't been on the forums for a bit, but if anyone needs help or wants to run anything my tag is Goliverse on PSN, I've got 3 34s at this point and pretty much all the gear I wanted, so I'm just goofing off.

After exactly 50 Dragon Strikes (I was using a counter to keep track), Hopscotch Pilgrim finally dropped for me.  I had to reforge about ~20 times until I got an acceptable set of perks, but this gun is insane in PvP. I'm going out of town for the weekend, so I won't be able to finish upgrading it for a couple days, but it's definitely going to become my go-to primary. It's stability is ridiculously high, with perks only boosting it even more so. It's basically a laser, virtually no kickback at all. If you roll good aim assist perks (I'm using Hidden Hand and the Sureshot IS scope), you just need to vaguely aim towards their upper body to score the headshot. 

At two headshots a kill, I ended up on an easy 15 kill streak on one of my first "serious" matches with the gun. I'm still trying to decide what secondary to roll with it. I don't have any good snipers, but I think a closer range weapon might pair better with a pulse rifle. I'm running with the Vestian Dynasty right now because it's a load of fun to hip-fire in PvP, but I'll probably default to a shotgun when I'm actually trying to perform well.

I find the Pvp to be pretty relaxing actually, but there's one gun that infuriates me: the shotgun. I don't understand how it's allowed to be a 1HKO from a body shot. 

I don't care if someone headshots me with a sniper, I can appreciate the skill involved in that, but someone one shotting me with a shotgun as I turn a corner is just boring.

Is there even a way to counter it? Don't follow people unless you know for sure they don't have a shotgun? Don't ever turn a corner without throwing a grenade? Bleh. 

Other than that, it's pretty awesome, although what happened to Autorifles? I got a green one and started using it and my K:D dropped way down, it feels so pathetically weak compared to the hand cannon. I have to empty a clip into someone to guarentee a kill, which completely negates the ability to fight more than one person in succession. While the hand cannon you can easily kill people one after another if you aim well.

After exactly 50 Dragon Strikes (I was using a counter to keep track), Hopscotch Pilgrim finally dropped for me.  I had to reforge about ~20 times until I got an acceptable set of perks, but this gun is insane in PvP. I'm going out of town for the weekend, so I won't be able to finish upgrading it for a couple days, but it's definitely going to become my go-to primary. It's stability is ridiculously high, with perks only boosting it even more so. It's basically a laser, virtually no kickback at all. If you roll good aim assist perks (I'm using Hidden Hand and the Sureshot IS scope), you just need to vaguely aim towards their upper body to score the headshot. 

At two headshots a kill, I ended up on an easy 15 kill streak on one of my first "serious" matches with the gun. I'm still trying to decide what secondary to roll with it. I don't have any good snipers, but I think a closer range weapon might pair better with a pulse rifle. I'm running with the Vestian Dynasty right now because it's a load of fun to hip-fire in PvP, but I'll probably default to a shotgun when I'm actually trying to perform well.

Having a reliable legendary primary that I've been enjoying has opened up the other slots to more interesting fare. I've been running Messenger/Ice Breaker a lot, which is really nice when you're going for (sniper) headshot bounties. I also have been playing around with Plan C, which has been kinda fun since I've never really used Fusion Rifles very much in PvP and that one is basically best in class. I imagine Patience and Time would also be pretty entertaining, and it's the current weapon on offer from Xur to boot. Once I get Lord of Wolves, that'll probably be my next experiment for exotic secondaries to go with my Messenger/future Hopscotch.

I find the Pvp to be pretty relaxing actually, but there's one gun that infuriates me: the shotgun. I don't understand how it's allowed to be a 1HKO from a body shot. 

I don't care if someone headshots me with a sniper, I can appreciate the skill involved in that, but someone one shotting me with a shotgun as I turn a corner is just boring.

Is there even a way to counter it? Don't follow people unless you know for sure they don't have a shotgun? Don't ever turn a corner without throwing a grenade? Bleh. 

Other than that, it's pretty awesome, although what happened to Autorifles? I got a green one and started using it and my K:D dropped way down, it feels so pathetically weak compared to the hand cannon. I have to empty a clip into someone to guarentee a kill, which completely negates the ability to fight more than one person in succession. While the hand cannon you can easily kill people one after another if you aim well.

The best counter to shotguns are shotguns and The Last Word. And the strategies you suggest are good. I usually check out team composition before matches to get an idea of how much shotgun/everything else I'm dealing with so I can equip things appropriately.

Also, autorifles were nerfed to hell. There are basically no viable ones in PvP, the closest are probably still the Suros and the legendary Summoner which you can get from Trials of Osiris. If you're actually interested in trying to make ARs work (they'll be unnerfed after patch 2.0, to some extent) the Pest Control Matrix from the Vanguard Vendor and Low Down P-XIV from the Crucible Vendor are both best-in-class when it comes to low ROF/high impact and high ROF/mid impact respectively. Roll them for something like Crowd Control/Single Point Sling/Hidden Hand or Rangefinder on the PCM and Crowd Control/High Caliber Rounds/Counterbalance on the Low Down.

I tried rocking a grey level shotgun, but it was a 2HKO  :tdown:  so that as a counter didn't work for me, but that's more about my gear than something being inherently wrong with using shotguns to counter shotguns.

It's also super map specific. In some maps, the shotguns are basically useless, or people aren't using them. In others, they're king. Once my hunter hits 20 I'll be able to set up for that.

I'm not too interested in making autorifles work in PvP, I just was shocked at how weak it was. As my only green weapon I assumed it'd have more of a kick to it. The guns I like the most are hand cannons and pulse rifles, but they never dropped for my titan, he only ever managed to find scout rifles (which I guess are OK, they're like the hand cannon's boring brother). 

Are there any databases of BiS guns from vendors ready for when I'm going to kit out my hunter?

Best in Slot, if I remember my MMO terms correctly.

Amped to pick up Patience and Time when I get home today (early Friday wooo)! Also think I'm gonna grind all the ghosts for some Sweet Lore Action

I'm fine with the one hit KO on shotguns as long as it's point blank or close to it. The current issue is the range. Right now a Matador or Party Crasher with the right perks can take you out from what really should be the range for a fast charge fusion rifle. But that should be fixed in the weapons patch so I'll just keep running around with my Matador and not complain. What I'm saying is the month or so between the 2.0 patch hitting and the new ideal loadout being discovered (assuming there is one) should be pretty fun.

By the way Griddlelol, for normal Crucible, gear rarity isn't really a dealbreaker since damage is normalized. The rarer gear will just have more perks, so if you found a grey or green shotgun with decent decent impact, it will wreck just as well as a similarly specced purple (minus the perks).

So, like best-in-slot per weapon class? Because I don't really know if there's an overall BiS, so to speak. Since I don't really understand the question, I'll answer "what vendor guns are worth buying?" since that may cover what's being asked.

Vanguard Quartermaster - Pest Control Matrix, 55A-Allfate (this class of Pulse Rifle will be heavily nerfed in 2.0, but is great right now), One/One Synesthete, GIVE/Take Equation

Dead Orbit - Deadshot Luna SR2, Exodus Plan RS/1 (the roll on this Rocket Launcher is perfect out of the box for PvP)

Future War Cult - The Fulcrum, The Conduit (this class of Pulse Rifle will be less nerfed and probably be best-in-class after 2.0)

New Monarchy - Red Hand IX, Judgment VI

Crucible Quartermaster - Low Down P-XIV, Zero Point LOTP

Variks/House of Judgment - Shadow of Veils, Wolfborne Oath

(what is BiS?)

Best in slot. Sorry assumed it was common lingo in Destiny. MMO speak. Oh hey thanks for the list. I'll probably set to trying to get some of those this weekend. 

I'm fine with the one hit KO on shotguns as long as it's point blank or close to it. The current issue is the range. Right now a Matador or Party Crasher with the right perks can take you out from what really should be the range for a fast charge fusion rifle. But that should be fixed in the weapons patch so I'll just keep running around with my Matador and not complain. What I'm saying is the month or so between the 2.0 patch hitting and the new ideal loadout being discovered (assuming there is one) should be pretty fun.

By the way Griddlelol, for normal Crucible, gear rarity isn't really a dealbreaker since damage is normalized. The rarer gear will just have more perks, so if you found a grey or green shotgun with decent decent impact, it will wreck just as well as a similarly specced purple (minus the perks).

Well yeah, that's my issue, I feel like they kill me from what is a long way away. My grey shotgun never managed to OHKO, but maybe I was too far when using it. 

My revenge on Xur for last week (I had a ton of strange coins and was waiting to see what gun he'd have): getting Armamentarium from an engram.

Having a reliable legendary primary that I've been enjoying has opened up the other slots to more interesting fare. I've been running Messenger/Ice Breaker a lot, which is really nice when you're going for (sniper) headshot bounties. I also have been playing around with Plan C, which has been kinda fun since I've never really used Fusion Rifles very much in PvP and that one is basically best in class. I imagine Patience and Time would also be pretty entertaining, and it's the current weapon on offer from Xur to boot. Once I get Lord of Wolves, that'll probably be my next experiment for exotic secondaries to go with my Messenger/future Hopscotch.

Yeah, I've always run an exotic primary and its been fantastic to switch it up. Once I end up getting a good set of perks on my Matador, I think I'll try running Hopscotch/Matador/Truth. Truth was my first exotic, so it had a special place in my heart (and loadout).

I'm also interested in trying to make snipers work. A lot of high-level players seem to use them and I've never actually tried them in PvP. I might try to pick up Her Benevolence and get a good set of rolls. (Shortgaze/Hidden Hand/Snapshot maybe)

I hit level 25 today. Pretty surprised at how fast I managed it. 

I also took a risk and bought a legendary chest engram from Xur...and I got Crest of Alpha Lupi! Awesome! Great chest piece for both PvE and PvP. 

I'm using a scout rifle for PvP, and it's not as bad as I thought. I think it's because it's got the automatic fire upgrade. So are none of the Hand Cannons from vendors worth buying? That sucks. 

I have the quest to get Thorn on my Titan, but it's at the shitty part where you've gotta do loads of PvP with a specific weapon. I have no void damage weapons (and I need to PvP on the Hunter to get his reputation up).

That reminds me, it's lame that reputation is tied to character rather than account. Not a huge deal, but just means you have to play a main to farm marks.