melmer

Metro: Last Light

Looks like a video game. I'm already scared just looking at all those outside environments.

You can get the first game for free according to the end of the trailer. Well worth playing through if only for the

ghost train

Http://Www.freemetrogame.com

I'm really lookin forward to Last Light, i'm just hoping THQ doesn't bite the dust before it comes out.

You can get the first game for free according to the end of the trailer. Well worth playing through if only for the

ghost train

Http://Www.freemetrogame.com

Though feel free to quit before the horribly imbalanced

green goo silo section

Still, one of my favorite shooters of the past ever. So this one is most certainly on my radar.

Man that part really was horrendous

Here's the latest trailer:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=isv2KSeZsUc

Looks tight :)

New info from gaf http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=547156

- 4A games want to release an SDK and they plan to eventually, most likely paired with multiplayer.

- MLL multiplayer will be released as a separate project, something along the lines of a Xbox Arcade game. ETA: At least half a year after MLL release.

- Confirmed five DLC, story missions from the point of view of other characters. These are not cut content, work on these began after the game was finished.

This makes me unreasonably excited for this game:

metrolastlightphysx_by_teddyterror-d5z1b

Look at the seat, and then look at the shape of the tarp as it covers it. Ghost seat.

Man, review scores are so confusing

"Metro: Last Light is not a bad game, but nor is it a good one in quite the same sense as..."

Not bad, but not good: 70% of perfect!

Edge (one of the few reviewers I trust) gives it a solid "good." http://www.edge-online.com/review/metro-last-light-review/

It sounds like it has tons of character, like the first. It also sounds like the heavy scripting and linearity are going to be a drag. I think the Bioshock Infinite comparisons Edge makes will prove to be accurate. An interesting, well-realized world, marred by forced linearity and fps drudgery. I'm still looking forward to playing it, though my expectations have been tempered some.

Tom chick gave it 5/5 which means I'm definitely going to pick it up once I have some spare time. His tastes and opinions tend to align with mine.

It sounds like it has tons of character, like the first. It also sounds like the heavy scripting and linearity are going to be a drag.

For what it's worth "character, scripted and linear" are all things that I feel describe Metro 2033. I think the whole game is sort of an inversion of the Stalker world feel. Claustrophobic, and focused. 

Fully agree. Though it makes me yearn for a new Stalker-like all the more. Stalker had those claustrophobic moments! (those creepy, poltergeist ridden research labs) but it also let you explore a huge, fascinating world at your own pace.

I'm sure I'll enjoy Last Light if only for its atmosphere and strong direction. It sounds like more of Metro 2033, which is what I wanted anyway. (and with cleaned up stealth mechanics, which should mitigate some of the frustrations I had with 2033)

Fully agree. Though it makes me yearn for a new Stalker-like all the more. Stalker had those claustrophobic moments! (those creepy, poltergeist ridden research labs) but it also let you explore a huge, fascinating world at your own pace.

I'm sure I'll enjoy Last Light if only for its atmosphere and strong direction. It sounds like more of Metro 2033, which is what I wanted anyway. (and with cleaned up stealth mechanics, which should mitigate some of the frustrations I had with 2033)

I personally found Metro 2033 a bit too scary for me, so I have also been hoping for a new Stalker. While bits of Stalker were scary, I was able to get push through it...the unrelenting tight, dark corridors of Metro are too much for me.

Which is why I was quite excited when I was reading Rock Paper Shotgun today and discovered that there seems to be a spiritual successor to Stalker in the works, being made by the remnants of GSC Game World. It's called "Survarium" (http://survarium.com/en) and it just entered closed beta.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/05/15/survarium-enters-alpha-will-expand-over-time/

I've been really enjoying it so far. there were a few real scary bits so far. Its good fun as a stealth game too and looks great. I did have a scripting bug though where my AI Partner got stuck right after a checkpoint and I had to restart the level.

Played about 2 hours so far and loving it. Feels very much like the first Metro. Raiding enemy camps, skulking in the shadows. But this time, stealth is quite viable and very enjoyable. Turn off the power, wait for a soldier to break off from the group and investigate, knock him out. Circle around behind the rest, throw a knife at one sneak up on the other. Listen to a Nazi soldier struggling over the fact that his hairy baby (nice roadside picnic ref) must be killed for its mutation, before accidentally being spotted by another guard forcing you to kill everyone in the room, even the man you had previously felt sympathy for.

The linearity isn't really grating yet either, as a linear scripted section is often followed by a larger area with multiple ways through (again, very much like the first Metro).

The English actors are not the greatest of thespians so I've switched over to Russian with subs. You miss some incidental dialogue but everything feels much more natural and the characters you do interact with feel more authentic. Can't wait to play more.

I actually started and russian and switched to english for the incidental dialogue. Not amazing, but some of it is interesting. Nothing really worth going one way or the other for, but i've been sticking with English.

I'ts actually one of the best/better stealth games I can recall, which is interesting since it isn't billed as one, as far as I know. Enemies can be approached and murdered from any angle, and even if they see you before their demise they don't raise an instant all AI alert. Usually no alert, unless they have a change to shout something, then nearby AI hear, but it's still possible to murder them before an a general alert is raised. Even the achievements, for as little as that is worth, respect that as not raising an alarm, which is neat. 

Also, since I prepurchased it (for the $5 off mostly) I've been playing it on "ranger mode". It's pretty dumb that they are selling a reduced HUD and higher damage mode for $5, but since it came with the prepurchase I opted for it, and its neat. Makes a laser sight on a gun a lot more meaningful, usually its just cosmetic in shooters (it removes the crosshair). It's actually beem more beneficial as a makeshift cross-hair for throwing knives than for using the actual guns though.

Anyway, still really enjoying it, haven't seen a bug since that last one. Been murdering so many people, but it mostly feels deserved in this game at least. Metro is a good ranger, hes murdered a lot of mans and monsters and is good at it. It's not a revolutionary story, but by having an experienced protagonist like Metro, it avoids some of the usual dissonancel

I've played about 3hrs according to steam, but it definitely feels longer than that. I'm loving it for all the same reasons I liked Metro 2033. I actually like the accented English voice acting. I know I'm missing out on absorbing the true atmosphere of the game, but I started out with English and don't really want to switch mid game.

Moments ago I unconsciously looked at what time it was on the in-game wrist watch and realized it shows actual real world time. Obviously when you've a gas mask equipped, there's a timer counting down until you run out of air. But when you don't have one equipped it shows what time it is in the real world. So it made me realize it's 10:27am and that I've been playing the game since I woke up this morning. :P A minor detail, but that's one more reason I like this game (so far).

Really enjoying this as well. The atmosphere of this game is really great. Also, one of my favorite things is all the crap that gets on your gas mask and having to wipe it off by pressing a button--I donno why but that is such a great little detail.

Spoiler Alert 4 hours in:

Have any of you guys finished the swamp level? It is frustrating to me that the mutants seem to respawn indefinitely. Also I was a little annoyed when I died in the swamp and then when I reloaded the game, a load screen message says "Shotguns are the best all-around weapon against mutants." ... I wish I would have known that before I got stuck in this swamp with no shotgun. Also, I can't seem to figure out how to get to that stupid plane while a billion mutants try to eat me.

Anyway, I really like this game over all, the sense of atmosphere is great, walking through all the little town/community areas is really fanstically detailed in all the right ways, but I am getting really tired of these incessant firefights with mutants. I can't imagine playing this section in Ranger mode.