Sign in to follow this  
ThunderPeel2001

Things That Improve Your Life

Sweet! Yes, I can see how wireless headphones would be very useful. I've nearly tripped over my headphone cables so many times. Dark Room looks interesting, too.

f.lux is interesting but kinda assumes that you like/observe natural light in the room your computer is, which is something I don't do.

Zenni Optical

As a glasses-wearer, one thing that has improved my life significantly is zennioptical.com. This'll come off a little shilly, I'm sure, but I really do love this website because it makes such a bad, expensive experience (glasses-buying) and improves on it significantly. Basically, you just buy glasses direct from manufacturer - as long as you have your prescription, you can order glasses on the cheap at your leisure. The only thing that might throw you for a loop is them asking you for PD/pupillary distance, which is just the distance between your pupils - something a friend can do for you with a ruler and a brief moment of weirdness as they look directly into your eyes.

Anyways, the site has all kinds of frames for $5-10, with tinting for $3 at various shades (10%, 30%, 90% tint) and colors. You can also get other features like anti-glare coating or transitional tinting at a deep discount as compared to local establishments ($6-15 vs $30, at least at places around me). Anyways, paying attention to promotions and being a little stingy with my choice of frames has gotten me a collection of six pairs of glasses and sunglasses to match different outfits for less than $100. I also got a pair of prescription goggles for racquetball play for only $30.

It's worth a try if you're tired of getting glasses for upwards of $100 a pop and having to deal with Lenscrafters trying to sell you on every little addition.

How Long to Beat

If you're like me and are paralyzed by the sheer number of games you have on Steam/your console backlog, I really like howlongtobeat.com for helping narrow down my choices. It's basically just a repository of people posting their completion times for games at various levels of completion - speedrun, normal run, completionist run, etc. It's great when I'm feeling the need to beat something but can't be bothered to play something that is surprise 20 hours to get there.

Me too (well, often, not all the time), especially for work related stuff. I think it makes me a better software developer. Most of my colleagues don't understand it, not even when I explain it. They just complain that I'm being negative and that nothing is good.

Do you think the warning to verify with hashes is overkill?

Any thoughts on this, tech nerds?

How Long to Beat

This is actually pretty cool. I really should start busting through my backlog.

How Long to Beat

If you're like me and are paralyzed by the sheer number of games you have on Steam/your console backlog, I really like howlongtobeat.com for helping narrow down my choices. It's basically just a repository of people posting their completion times for games at various levels of completion - speedrun, normal run, completionist run, etc. It's great when I'm feeling the need to beat something but can't be bothered to play something that is surprise 20 hours to get there.

Awesome! I wish I'd known about this years ago. Thanks!

I take back my comments regarding flux, it's great once you get used to it. I wish I could find a good solution to make it affect my mouse cursor as well, because now it looks blue.

Bicycles improve my life, even in winter. I used to spent a fair amount of time running to stay fit, now staying fit comes from something practical and built into my routine. It requires much less discipline.

I really like my Now and Zen alarm clock. It goes "ting" once right at the time of my alarm, and then waits 8 minutes before it goes "ting" a second time, then waits 4 minutes to go "ting" a third time, then waits 2 minutes, etc etc. It's a nice gentle way to wake up and usually I'm up and alert by about 2 minutes after the first "ting."

Ooh! They look sound excellent. If I can get a nice enough chime, I think I could make an even more minimalist one.

I used to use a lamp on a timer switch to wake up, and it woke me very reliably, but I kept screwing it up in winter: It would wake me, I'd glance over at it, think "Oh, fuck, I fell asleep with the light on again", switch it off and go back to sleep thinking it was 3a.m.

Bicycles improve my life, even in winter. I used to spent a fair amount of time running to stay fit, now staying fit comes from something practical and built into my routine. It requires much less discipline.

Totally agreed, although you can't read ASOIAF on a bike, and your lips get all dry.

This isn't exactly following the rules of the thread, since I don't actually use this, but I've heard a lot of people say they really like ZenWriter. The principle is that it creates a calming and distraction-free setting for you to write. I think it's portable too, so you can put it on a thumb drive and work anywhere.

Related to things I do use, I have two workout books, which I only got because I respect the authors. The serious one is The 4-Hour Body by Timothy Ferriss, which is a mighty comprehensive tome of all things health and fitness. I haven't made my way through it, but just flipping through it and picking out tips, I've felt better about myself already. Encouragingly, it's really emphasizes tracking data and experimenting, and notes that everything in the book is effectively based on individual cases, and you should really record your own data to see what really works for you.

The other workout book I use is Solitary Fitness, written by the infamous Charles Bronson, Her Majesty's most expensive inmate. I've found it useful because it's about how to exercise when you don't have any special equipment (or, in his case, you're locked int solitary confinement, thus the title), and the writing is very optimistic and jovial.

Good pens, ink and paper improve my life.

You may or may not want to take it to the same extent as I do (I have spent $140 on a pen).

Well, I've mentioned it many times before and a lot of you guys already use it but I found the backloggery has got my game purchasing habits under control.

This is a sub page that shows me that I am starting to make progress, finally.

Related, brush pens are absolutely marvelous. I tend to tear up the felt tip ones, but the synthetic bristle brush pens are a treat.

Yes, I do believe they have improved my life.