melmer

GOTY

goty_title.png

So then, whats your GOTY.

To be honest looking back over the year i haven't really played anything that's blown my mind. I've had a lot of fun with xcom and dishonoured...

I think mine would be The Witcher 2 on xbox360...does that count

I haven't actually played the walking dead yet,

Have Jake and Sean been invited to the VGA's...

They could win a shit ton of awards.

Then our boys will get head hunted to write the next mass effect or whatever... THE END OF IDLE THUMBS AS WE KNOW IT...... AGAIN

Promise me you're not leaving!! promise me god damn it!!!

GOTY2012, oh fuck, I just wouldn't even know. When my Xbox died at the end of last year I was cut off from pretty much all the major blockbusters. The only big games I played were on the 3DS, and of those only Kingdom Hearts 3D was anything remotely special.

On the other hand I had a great time on Steam with the indies. I would say both FTL and Thirty Flights of Loving would qualify. On the 3DS eShop side I had a ton of fun with Pullblox (Pushmo), easily the best thing Nintendo released this year. I'm doing the review of Fallblox, the sequel, this week. Looking forward to that.

But I feel pretty inadequately informed to make a decision this year.

I've been mulling over what my personal games of the year might be and i'll probably write up a longer post sometime later, but i think X-com is probably the one game that stood out more than anything else.

That game is a goddamned triumph, and the sort of thing people need to champion.

Arg, I irrationally dislike early GOTY thread.

Let's wait for January 2013, dammit!

True, COD BLOPs may yet take the crown

And Hitman, Far cry 3 and The Hip Hop Dance Experience have still yet to be released

Unless Hitman, Far Cry 3 or Assassin's Creed 3 (haven't played it yet as I'm waiting on the PC version) particularly surprise me, or the last episode suddenly takes a downturn in quality, I suspect my GOTY.cx will be the Walking Dead. I adored XCOM and it easily makes it into second place, I think, but there simply is nothing else like the Walking Dead around that I can think of. It really gives me an experience I can't get anywhere else. Third place probably will be FTL, for a somewhat similar reason.

So far for me it's looking like Dishonored. I always hope I'll come away from a year with an unconventional GOTY, but end up with something completely obvious and expected.

My own top list includes: Journey, Dishonored, Hotline Miami and Walking Dead. Not necessarily in that order. Will mull on it for the next few months and some spots may be shuffled (especially if I get my hands on XCOM before the year is out)

I like your criteria Gwardinen. It's pretty much the same one I use. Additionally: emotional impact

Frog Fractions has to be pretty high up there.

Can LOMAs be considered? By being a constant state of beta it seems weird to include them, but both DOTA2 and LOL have taken up so much of the public's mindshare (and my time) that it also seems weird to not give them a mention.

In terms of more standard video games, The Walking Dead is probably my frontrunner so far (NO PRESSURE ON EP 5 GUYS). Compared to the bombastic Dishonored/XCOM/CODBLOPS, The Walking Dead is almost charmingly demure on the outside, while possibly being one of the most substantial video games on the inside.

Probably The Walking Dead for taking gaming to a new direction. There have been several games that rehash previous terrific games, such as Dishonored, but few that brought a lot of new thinking into the field.

I've heard good things about The Waking Dead, especially in regard to its revolutionary-ness. Makes me intrigued. Is the iPad version playable, or should I got for a Console/PC version if I were going to give it a shot?

This is an impossible choice. I haven't even played The Walking Dead, Mark of the Ninja, XCOM, or Hotline Miami, and even if I had, I could never choose between those and Natural Selection 2, Thirty Flights of Loving, and Dishonored.

I really don't get the mad love for Thirty Flights of Loving... it's not a game. It's just an experience. (A cool one, true.)

Anyways, I don't want to respark that whole debate, I guess I'm just confused that it's referred to (by lots of people) as a game.

Oh, that's a tough one. Off the top o' me head and in no particular order, I'd have to go with Journey, The Walking Dead and Spec Ops: The Line. They were all very exciting to me, all for very different reasons! Which I won't elaborate on. HAH! Take that!

I really don't get the mad love for Thirty Flights of Loving... it's not a game. It's just an experience. (A cool one, true.)

But what is game? How is game formed?

It's a game.

dVvPN.gif

I don't want to respark that debate either; I just wanted to use that GIF.

I'm still yet to play walking dead, journey, mark of ninja. (waiting for dem crimbo discounts innit)

It would be very cool if a xbla/indie game scooped up all the prizes. fez came out this year and trails 2 exteremeballz or whatever its called

Journey kind of falls under 'more of an experience than game' category. But it was such a wonderful, memorable experience. No to mention, stripping people's identities for multiplayer was a master stroke on the dev's part. Never enjoyed playing online with strangers more than in Journey.

In that respect how can we judge games like super hexagon with mass effect 3. How much game does a game have to game to be considered a game. game.

But what is game? How is game formed?

Well games have been around a long time. A lot longer than video games. As someone who's studied game theory, I know the accepted definition of a game involves objectives and rules. That's true from tic-tac-toe to chess to darts to Scrabble to Muchkin to Mass Effect. I think 30 Flights is trying to do something else Something different.

Anyways, I suppose this is better suited to a "What is gam?" thread.

Dota 2, I guess, but I've been in the beta since 2011, I think? Maybe I haven't. I've sort of lost track of time in regards to Dota 2.

Hotline Miami pleases me in ways few games do.

The Walking Dead is definitely up there, making me legitimately feel concerned for a virtual entity.

Dishonored is my lover, my baby boo.

Fuck, I don't even know what else I've played this year. This is why I hate GOTYs. I don't remember what I've played beyond a month ago, let alone all the way to the beginning of the year.