Since it looks like the maker (yes, it was made by only one guy) is currently paying attention to his forum and just had to ask in the most polite way possible.

Who should submit their games to Steam Greenlight? Is there another way to submit my game to Steam?

Steam Greenlight has replaced our previous submission process. Any developer or publisher who is new to Steam and interested in submitting their game to the platform should submit their game through Steam Greenlight.

It says it right there: Are you new? Greenlight!

EDIT: He says he got in before the Greenlight thing started.

I played Dead Pixels a bit when I got it from an Indie Royale. Didn't find it very much fun at all. I don't think Steam should have a "fun games only" policy but yeah in this case the game got in before the whole Greenlight thing.

So I'm not really sure how I feel about mods on Greenlight, what's the point supposed to be? Like is it just that you get Greenlit and then your mod can be downloaded via the store instead of ModDB/whatever? None of the mods that have been Greenlit like Black Mesa or NeoTokyo have been put on Steam yet which seems like it wouldn't take any more time than putting up the other games which are already finished if all they're doing is letting you download the game via the Steam servers and installing it for you. Also when I saw Black Mesa and NeoTokyo on Greenlight and was asked if I would buy them if they were one Steam I think I down-voted them, because I wouldn't buy them if they were on Steam.

The "would you buy this button" is dumb because for mods and free to play games it's obviously not applicable. The point of putting mods on Greenlight is exactly that - so they can be downloaded from Steam. The reason why it's taking so long is probably because it takes Valve 4 years to do anything.

I guess they are adding Steam achievments to the mods? Can that be done to mods?

The Dead Pixels guy claimed his game was in before Greenlight and it took him ages to get the Steam achievements working.

Mods already exist on Steam and have cheesemints. So yes it can be done.

hooray! I voted your game up a while ago. Hope it gets Greenlit soon!

The "would you buy this button" is dumb because for mods and free to play games it's obviously not applicable. The point of putting mods on Greenlight is exactly that - so they can be downloaded from Steam. The reason why it's taking so long is probably because it takes Valve 4 years to do anything.

what if you interpret it as "this looks so cool that even if it weren't being made available for free I would pay money for it"? I think it's still definitely preferable to the ambiguous "thumbs up / thumbs down" wording they had before.

Thumbs up could be "I think this game should be on Steam!" and thumbs down could be "I don't want this game in my Greenlight queue" because that's what the buttons do.

So I'm not sure if this has been brought up, but it semi-recently came to my attention that La Mulana is on greenlight (http://steamcommunit...ls/?id=93001822). That game is fantistic, its a more modern remake of an indie game, and is well done, polished, and in general meets or exceeds steam's standards, It has an established, if small, fanbase. It is for sale on Playism and GoG. Before greenlight something this good and polished would and should have just been put on steam, but instead it is relageted to Greenlight.

I don't have any problem with greenlight itself, but if finished, polished, and liked games like this are just being sent there, they are using it wrong, and I think that's shameful and lazy.

Also, its apprently been on there for a bit, and that brings up problems with either a) the taste of most of the greenlight audience, or more likely B) the way greenlight surfaces and suggests games, and the lack of discoverability.

So did this game evolve from being set in white puzzle rooms at some point, or was it always planned from the beginning to be in the outside world?

This is actually the first I have seen of this (as I said, I think greenlight is poor at surfacing interesting games, and cynicism about this kinda stuff is kinda my thing), I am genuinely interested in yours now. The ball-rolling puzzle game isn't a new idea, of course, but I don't think anyone has approached it with the scope or environments implied by your trailed and I really want to see the game now, and what it does with that. I'll see if I can't get a few other people to vote as well.

Thanks guys. Yeah it totally was originally a series of puzzle rooms originally. Then we added the overworld thing and then I reaaaallly let it get out of hand. I hope you guys like it. Thanks for votin' and sharin'.

Hmm, what happens when a game gets Greenlight but fails at it's Kickstarter? And how can you get enough votes for Greenlight but fails to get enough for Kickstarter anyway? It looks like we'll find out with Akaneiro.

They are trying to Greenlight Bone Town by putting clothes and possibly completely censoring it? That sounds so stupid.... in an awesomely terrible way?

La-Mulana finally got Greenlight so I'll stop whining about it. I already have Unepic and DLC Quest from indie bundles, so I suppose I'll get them when they are released too?

If it gets Greenlit and then fails at kickstarter, assuming that kickstarter was the only way for the game to be finished, Valve would simply not let the developer submit an unfinished game to the store? Slightly similar to how War Z was pulled for being unfinished.

Even if they released it in it's current state, it would be a million times better than the WarZ fiasco.

So Greenlight has finally added proper stats for item creators. It turns out my game has had 17,230 "would buy" votes, which is 53% of all votes, and is #64 out of 1027, but it's only had half as many unique visitors as the average item in the top 50.

Greenlight is hard.

So Greenlight has finally added proper stats for item creators. It turns out my game has had 17,230 "would buy" votes, which is 53% of all votes, and is #64 out of 1027, but it's only had half as many unique visitors as the average item in the top 50.

Greenlight is hard.

supported a fellow thumb greenlighting his/her game! Good luck!